Free Consultation: (651) 288-2844Tap to Call This Lawyer
Lisa Watson Cyr

Lisa Watson Cyr

Bowden Cyr, PLLC
  • Family Law, Divorce
  • Minnesota
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

Lisa Watson Cyr has devoted her practice to the area of Divorce and Family Law since being admitted to the Minnesota Bar in 1998. Her experience and depth of knowledge ensure that her clients receive the highest quality of representation in dealing with all aspects of family law matters including divorce, custody, parenting time, child support, marital and non-marital property, alimony, and paternity. She is an effective negotiator and skilled litigator, always keeping the best interests of her clients as her sole focus. Although Lisa believes her clients are best served by a negotiated settlement and strives to settle matters through mediation and other forms of alternative dispute resolution, she is an experienced litigator who has successfully represented hundreds of clients in court. Lisa has been a guest lecturer at the Family Law Institute. She has been selected to the list of Super Lawyers for the years 2015, 2016, & 2017. In addition, Lisa has been selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers in America for the years 2016, 2017 & 2018. She is also AV Preeminent peer review rated* through Martindale-Hubbell, the highest available rating. Her clients appreciate her commitment to helping families protect themselves now and into the future. *AV Preeminent and BV Distinguished are certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the confidential opinions of members of the Bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell ratings fall into two categories - legal ability and general ethical standards.

Practice Areas
  • Family Law
  • Divorce
  • Free Consultation
    Free half hour initial consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
8th Circuit
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Attorney/Managing Partner
Bowden Cyr, PLLC
- Current
McCullough, Bowden & Cyr, PA
Associate Attorney
Olive, Taber & Owens, PA
William Mitchell College of Law
J.D. (1995) | Juris Doctorate
Honors: Magna Cum Laude
William Mitchell College of Law Logo
University of Minnesota - Duluth
B.A. (1995) | Criminology/Political Science/Sociology
Honors: Summa Cum Laude
Activities: Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society
Placeholder image for education.
Selected for Inclusion in Best Lawyers in America
Best Lawyers in America
Selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers in America 2016, 2017, & 2018
Named Super Lawyer
Super Lawyers
Named Super Lawyer for 2015, 2016, & 2017
Professional Associations
State Bar of Minnesota # 0288780
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Washington County Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Ramsey County Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Speaking Engagements
Spousal Maintenance, Family Law Institute, St. Paul, Minnesota
Minnesota CLE
Spousal Maintenance, Family Law Institute, St. Paul, Minnesota
Minnesota CLE
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
19 Questions Answered

Q. When there is more than one child under the support order, does it modify automaticallywhen one of the children turn 18?
A: If the child support order does not provide a specific amount for each child, then upon the emancipation of each child the child support obligor must bring a motion to modify the child support on the basis of emancipation of a child pursuant to Minn. Stat. 518A.39, Subd. 5(c).
Q. I want to go back to my mother
A: You need to talk with your parents as to your reasons for wanting a change in the time you spend with each of them.
Q. What if my sons father is not following our stipulation agreement? Child support, his portion of expenses, etc....
A: If your son's father is not paying his court-ordered child support, you have a few options. If he is working, you may want to apply for income withholding services through the appropriate county. You also have the option to bring a motion seeking to have your son's father held in contempt for non-payment of support.
Q. My ex wife signed my son up at Huntington learning center without my consent and is now demanding I pay my half of the
A: If your decree does not specifically require you to contribute to this type of expense, then there is a good chance you would not be held liable, especially where your ex-wife incurred the expense on behalf of your child without your knowledge or advance agreement.
Q. My ex is not a good dad or person. He's slapped his other two girls alot when I was with him. If he tries for parenting
A: The Court will determine parenting time after considering what is in the child's best interest based on the factors set forth in Minnesota Statute Section 518.17. Based on the information you have provided, it appears there may be good cause to seek supervised or restricted parenting time.
Q. Want to go back to my maiden name and hyphenate my son (3)to my maiden and my ex’s last name. Will a judge allow it?
A: To seek a name change for your minor child, you will need to follow the correct procedure. The following link provides the forms and instructions you would need if you plan to seek the name change for your son without an attorney:
Q. What does extracurricular activities above and beyond the standard schooling curriculum include?
A: An agreement to share extracurricular activity expenses is an obligation that is in addition to the guideline basic, medical and childcare support order. Based on the information you provided, it appears you and your ex-wife agreed to equally share the cost of extracurricular activities for the children without defining exactly what those activities include. Without any specific activities identified in your decree, "extracurricular activities" may include all of the activities you indicate the children are being signed up for by your ex-wife. If your decree requires you and your ex-wife to mutually agree upon extracurricular activities for your children, you may not be financially responsible for those activities she enrolled the children without your prior approval. Even if your decree does not limit extracurricular activities to those mutually agreed upon, you may be relieved of the obligation to pay for some of the activities if they are deemed excessive and not representative of what the children had historically done. You would likely benefit from having an experienced family law lawyer review your divorce decree to provide you a more detailed analysis of your situation.
Q. Help with family law, i have an existing custody and visitation court order since 2009. How do I do a modification?
A: If your current parenting time order was based on you living in state, then you likely will need to seek a modification of the parenting time so that it is a better fit for your current circumstances. You can seek a modification of parenting time by bringing a motion. A child deserves to have the benefit of a healthy, stable relationship with both parents.
Q. A marriage of 30+ years, Children are selfsufficient ages 25 & 28. Do we file MN dissolution with or without children?
A: Because your children are no longer minors, your dissolution filing status would be "without" children.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
Bowden Cyr, PLLC
7825 - 3rd Street N.
Suite 204
Oakdale, MN 55128
Telephone: (651) 288-2844