Free Consultation: (801) 784-3500Tap to Call This Lawyer
William Melton

William Melton

  • Criminal Law, Personal Injury, DUI & DWI ...
  • Utah
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial MediaResponsive Law

Melton Law was founded by William L. Melton. William has taken pride in serving his clients and his community for many years. After experiencing his own encounters with the legal system he decided to dedicate his career to the pursuit of law. William has been involved in proactively changing to improve the community in multiple ways throughout his career. In addition to fighting for his clients in the courtroom, William is also actively involved in making changes at the legislative level. In 2015, William helped lobby and successfully pass the alternative parent-time schedule. This new law substantially increased the amount of time that non-custodial parents receive with their children. Additionally, William is an appointed member by the governor to a state Child Support Guidelines Committee. The committee is responsible for making recommendations to the legislature for changes to the child support guidelines.

William has worked on hundreds of different cases from minor traffic infractions to major sex crimes and white-collar crimes. William is an experienced trial attorney with experience on all sides of a criminal case. During law school, William clerked for the Hon. Judge Parker in the Third Judicial District Court, he assisted clients in the Idaho Street Law Clinic and worked in the Utah County Attorney's Office prosecuting cases in both their misdemeanor and major crimes divisions. William loves working with his clients and doing everything in his power to help them resolve their cases with the absolute best possible outcome.

Contact me today at

Practice Areas
Criminal Law
Criminal Appeals, Drug Crimes, Expungement, Fraud, Gun Crimes, Internet Crimes, Sex Crimes, Theft, Violent Crimes
Personal Injury
Animal & Dog Bites, Brain Injury, Car Accidents, Construction Accidents, Motorcycle Accidents, Premises Liability, Truck Accidents, Wrongful Death
Domestic Violence
Domestic Violence Criminal Defense, Domestic Violence Restraining Orders, Victims Rights , Victims Rights
White Collar Crime
Traffic Tickets
Suspended License
  • Free Consultation
    Never pay for a consultation. Melton Law will always give you a free consultation. Contact us today to schedule your free consult.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Utah State Bar
ID Number: 17422
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Deputy County Attorney Intern
Utah County Attorney's Office
Responsible for prosecuting misdemeanor and felony cases. Successfully handled over a hundred cases including taking several cases to trial.
University of Idaho College of Law
J.D. (2019)
Placeholder image for education.
Professional Associations
Utah State Bar  # 17422
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Speaking Engagements
DUI Seminar, 2022 UACDL DUI Seminar, Salt Lake City
Utah Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
Presented at the Utah Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers annual DUI Seminar. Discussed the impacts of driver license hearings and DUIs. Addressed strategies to fight a driver license suspension at the hearings and procedural issues that can be raised.
Websites & Blogs
Melton Law
Legal Answers
53 Questions Answered
Q. In Utah is there a certain amount of time in which you must be sentenced???on a Misdemeanor- case???
A: No, there isn't a certain amount of time. However, you have been sentenced. The judge sentenced you to jail, but you have been a fugitive. You should consult with an attorney to help you finish the case. If you've stayed out of trouble they may be able to use that to help with your sentencing.
Q. I got into a situation defending a friend that was being beaten up I have charges being filed on me
A: You contact an attorney immediately. It sounds like you are dealing with extremely serious charges. Contact an attorney for help. Do not talk to anyone about the case. Especially police.
Q. Utah-My son is fighting a ticket for failure to obey traffic control device, fighting it, additional charges added
A: It is a common practice for prosecutors to add charges that were given as a warning when someone fights their ticket. Sort of a way to strengthen their position. The prosecutor is ultimately the one who decides what charges are filed so they have the power to add or remove whatever charges they feel are appropriate. It happens all the time when someone was cut a break on a speeding ticket by the officer and when the person tries to fight it in court the prosecutor amends it back up to the original speed. Same concept.
View More Answers
Contact & Map
Melton Law
5955 S. Redwood Rd. #103
Taylorsville, UT 84123
Telephone: (801) 784-3500
Cell: (801) 784-3500
Monday: 8 AM - 9 PM (Today)
Tuesday: 8 AM - 9 PM
Wednesday: 8 AM - 9 PM
Thursday: 8 AM - 9 PM
Friday: 8 AM - 9 PM
Saturday: Open 24 hours
Sunday: Open 24 hours