Free Consultation: (800) 654-1949Tap to Call This Lawyer
Vadim A. Mzhen
  • Personal Injury, Medical Malpractice, Nursing Home Abuse...
  • Maryland
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&AGoldBlawgsearchSocial Media
Practice Areas
  • Personal Injury
  • Medical Malpractice
  • Nursing Home Abuse
  • Products Liability
  • Elder Law
  • Maritime Law
  • Animal & Dog Law
  • Workers' Compensation
Additional Practice Areas
  • Car Accidents
  • General Civil Litigation
  • Insurance Bad Faith
  • Pharmacy Misfills
  • Free Consultation
  • Contingent Fees
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English
  • Russian
Professional Experience
Lebowitz & Mzhen Personal Injury Lawyers
- Current
University of Maryland Francis King Carey School of Law
J.D. (1992)
Honors: with honors; American Jurisprudence Award in Business Associations
Placeholder image for education.
University of Pennsylvania
B.S (1987) | Engineering
Honors: Cwikla Award, Moore School of Electric Engineering
University of Pennsylvania Logo
Professional Associations
Maryland State Bar
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Maryland Trial Lawyers Association
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Maryland Association for Justice
Placeholder image for professional associations.
American Trial Lawyers Association
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Websites & Blogs
Vadim A. Mzhen's Website Profile
Lebowitz & Mzhen Personal Injury Lawyers Website
Maryland Accident Law Blog
Pharmacy Error Injury Lawyer Blog
Maryland Car Accident Attorney Blog
Maryland Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Blog
Maryland Nursing Home Lawyer Blog
Washington DC Injury Lawyer Blog
Maryland Trucking Accident Lawyer Blog
Legal Answers
8 Questions Answered

Q. If a pharmacy filled my prescription by gave me the wrong medicine and it made me sick,
A: I would need to know more facts, but on its face, it appears that the pharmacy committed an error for which you are entitled to receive compensation to the extent that you were harmed by taking the medication that was incorrectly dispensed to you.
Q. Are there limitations to the rights that nursing home residents have? Does it vary based on the individual nursing home?
A: I am not sure what specific rights your question addresses. Generally speaking, a nursing home resident has the right to be provided with nursing care that meets the accepted standard of care for nursing facilities. Whether that standard of care is violated depends on the specific facts of every situation.
Q. Will I be punished or cited for not having insurance after a car accident, even if I wasn't at fault?
A: Having car insurance is a legal requirement in Maryland. Any time you come into contact with police, whether as a result of a car accident or under any other circumstances (e.g., stopped for speeding), you risk being charged with a traffic violation of driving without insurance, which is a misdemeanor in Maryland. Also, the Motor Vehicle Administration may impose a civil fine. The longer you drive without insurance, the higher the amount of the MVA fine. In my 20-plus years of practicing personal injury law, however, I have seen lots of instances when a police officer, who responds to the scene of a car accident, does not charge with a violation a driver who happens to have no insurance. Nevertheless, I strongly recommend that you always have insurance on your vehicle. Not only is it a legal requirement, but it also protects you in case of an automobile accident.
Q. I'm getting lowballed by an insurance company -- can I take what they offer now and still ask for more?
A: Usually, as part of any settlement, the insurance company requires that the claimant sign a release forever giving up all claims related to the given incident. If, in your case, the insurance company will ask you to sign a release, then you will never be able to make any additional claims for any additional compensation in the future. It would be very unusual for the insurance company to pay you money and not to require that a release be signed, thus keeping your claim open. But you should ask whether you will be required to sign a full & final release or whether the insurance company is willing to keep the claim open.
Q. If I have surgery and then my doctor tells me I have to have another surgery to correct complications from the first
A: By itself, the fact that you need corrective surgery does not necessarily mean that the doctor committed medical malpractice. The doctor may have done everything in accordance with the accepted standards for that type of surgery, even though the outcome is not what was hoped for. If in fact the doctor was negligent, the result of the second surgery does matter in that the success or failure of the second surgery will determine the extent to which you are injured by the negligence during the first surgery: The more successful the second surgery, the less injured you will be.
Q. My husband was admitted to the hospital with pneumonia and then subsequently transferred to rehab --
A: I am sorry to give you a stereotypical lawyer answer, but whether or not your husband has a claim for injuries against the rehab facility depends on many details. I assume that it was the second fall that caused the injuries that sent your husband to ICU. In order to bring a valid claim, it would need to be shown that the second fall occurred as a result of negligent care by the facility. Whether or not that is so depends on the specific facts of the care, or lack thereof, that was provided to your husband. For example, given that he had already fallen out of bed at least once, the rehab facility knew that he was a risk for a fall of that type. Given that knowledge, did the facility provide adequate safeguards against such a fall? This situation, as most others, is very fact specific. I recommend that you speak to a personal injury attorney who would get all the facts and give you proper advice.
Q. I was hit on a crosswalk by a drunk driver running a red light - i was bruised but not severely injured.
A: Being bruised constitutes physical injury. You are entitled to receive compensation for that physical injury, even if the injury is not "severe." You are also entitled to receive compensation for any mental distress caused by this incident, including pre-impact fright, if any, and post-impact mental anguish. The extent of the physical injuries together with mental distress will determine the extent of total compensation. A personal injury lawyer can help you present your case properly and draw attention to your injuries, both physical and mental, in order to obtain fair compensation.
Q. Do I get less of a payout from insurance if my car was hit when it was parked?
A: The amount of compensation that you are entitled to does not change based on whether your vehicle was parked or in motion at the time of the collision. With regard to property damage, you are entitled to get the amount equal to the repair cost of your vehicle. While your vehicle will be in a repair shop, you are entitled to receive a rental car. If your vehicle is a total loss, then you are entitled to receive the market value of your vehicle as of the time of the collision. If your vehicle was occupied at the time of the collision, each occupant is entitled to receive compensation for any personal injuries he or she sustained. The amount of the compensation does not in anyway depend on whether the vehicle was parked or moving at the time of the collision. The amount of the compensation is determined by the extent and severity of the injuries.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
Lebowitz & Mzhen Personal Injury Lawyers
Main Office
9 Park Center Ct
Owings Mills, MD 21117
Toll-Free: (800) 654-1949
Telephone: (410) 654-3600
Fax: (410) 654-3601
Lebowitz & Mzhen Personal Injury Lawyers
Washington, DC
1300 I St NW
Washington, DC 20005
Toll-Free: (800) 654-1949
Lebowitz & Mzhen Personal Injury Lawyers
Rockville, Maryland
199 E Montgomery Ave
Rockville, MD 20850
Toll-Free: (800) 654-1949
Telephone: (301) 998-6100
Fax: (410) 654-3601
Lebowitz & Mzhen Personal Injury Lawyers
Baltimore, Maryland
Spaces Harborplace Gallery
200 E Pratt St
Baltimore, MD 21202
Toll-Free: (800) 654-1949