- Civil Rights, Appeals & Appellate, Business Law
Tim Belz has been in private practice in St. Louis, Missouri since 1982. He has handled dozens of cases concentrating on the civil liberties of individuals and organizations, particularly first amendment rights of free speech, religious freedom and association, and parental rights. He has also handled numerous business litigation matters. He has practiced in many state and federal courts, including the United States Supreme Court.
Mr. Belz is a 1976 graduate, with high honors, of the University of Iowa Law School, where he graduated Order of the Coif, an honor open to those in the top ten percent of their class. He was a 1972 graduate of Covenant College, where he was the Editor in Chief of its award-winning student newspaper.
Prior to private practice, Mr. Belz was a prosecutor in the Antitrust Division of the United States Department of Justice, where he earned the Attorney General’s Special Achievement Award.
Some recent representative cases:
Wieland v. U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Serv., 793 F.3d 949 (8th Cir. 2015). Lead counsel in case establishing that individual Missouri state employees have standing to challenge the contraceptive mandate contained in the Affordable Care Act and implementing regulations.
Heartland Academy Community Church v. Waddle, 595 F.3d 798 (8th Cir. 2010). Lead counsel on appeal in damage case denying immunity to Missouri juvenile officers and social workers accused of violating the constitutional rights of private religious school, its students and their parents.
Heartland Academy Community Church v. Waddle, 427 F.3d 525 (8th Cir. 2005). Lead counsel on appeal, successfully defending permanent injunction of district court (317 F.Supp.2d 984 (E.D.Mo. 2004)) against state juvenile officer who had violated constitutional rights of private religious school, its students and their parents. Obtained $775,000 payment by State of Missouri for legal fees and expenses related to securing the injunction.
- Civil Rights
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Discrimination, Employment, Fair Housing, Police Misconduct, Privacy Law
- Appeals & Appellate
- Civil Appeals, Federal Appeals
- Business Law
- Business Contracts, Business Dissolution, Business Finance, Business Formation, Business Litigation, Franchising, Mergers & Acquisitions, Partnership & Shareholder Disputes
- University of Iowa
- J.D. (1976)
- Honors: Order of the Coif
- Influential Appellate Advocate
- Missouri Lawyers Weekly
- Missouri Attorney of the Year (one of ten)
- Missouri Lawyers Weekly
- The Missouri Bar  # 31808
- Ottsen, Leggat & Belz, L.C.