Free Consultation: (760) 324-3800Tap to Call This Lawyer
Thomas A. Grossman

Thomas A. Grossman

Thomas A. Grossman, Attorney at Law, currently practicing in the Coachella Valle
  • Business Law, Real Estate Law, Personal Injury
  • California, California
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

Born in Wisconsin, raised in L.A., moved to the Desert in 1977. 39 year experience in civil litigation, contract law, real estate (licensed broker), personal injury, alternative dispute resolution (Mediations and Arbitrations) and more. Active hiker, swimmer and singer.

Practice Areas
  • Business Law
  • Real Estate Law
  • Personal Injury
Additional Practice Areas
  • Car Accidents
  • General Civil
  • Insurance Bad Faith
  • Lemon Law
  • Free Consultation
    Up to half hour free consultation, if I can help you. More time if warranted.
  • Contingent Fees
    I will take certain cases on a contingency, mostly personal injury or other injury cases.
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    $300/hr. Free phone consultation up to 20 minutes.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
9th Circuit
  • English
Professional Experience
Thomas A Grossman Law Offices
- Current
Self-Employed owner of Law Practice
Thomas A. Grossman, Professional Law Corporation
- Current
Mr. Grossman has operated his law practice and mediation service (Desert ADR) by way of his professional law corporation, since 1994. He has handled a variety of personal injury, business, HOA, and real estate matters, as well as several cases of wrongful use of image in high profile body builder and model cases. He also handles credit issues, and forms corporations, partnerships and LLCs. Mr. Grossman now spends most of his time operating Desert ADR, a full service dsipute resolution service serving Riverside County, Califonria, and the Desert, since 2002.
Owner, Attorney, Mediator & Arbitrator
Desert ADR
Thomas A. Grossman, Esq., along with Judge Robert G. Taylor, Ret., has owned and operated Desert ADR, an alternative Dispute Resolution Service located in the Desert area (Coachella Valley) of Riverside County, California, since 2002. Now solely owned and operated by Mr. Grossman, we offer four experienced mediators and arbitrators, including Judge Taylor, Ret. and Mr. Grossman. We handled a variety of matters, including personal injury, real estate and business matters, HOA disputes, divorce and family law cases, insurance claims, employment matters, probate and other civil disputes. Mr. Grossman now on his own, and still handles mediations and arbitrations, as well as business matters, real estate issues, personal injury, corporate, credit issues, and othe civil matters. I welcome your inquiries.
Pepperdine University School of Law
Certificate of Completion (2005) | Mediation Seminar (35 hours)
Southwestern University School of Law
J.D. (1977) | General Law, Personal Injury, intellectual property
Now in private practice in areas of Arbitration and Mediation; Real Estate Law; Business Law; Personal Injury and Police Misconduct
Honors: Past Member Warren E. Slaughter Inns of Court, Palm Springs, CA.
Activities: Judge Pro Tem for settlement conferences and mediations for Indio Superior Court District; Judge Pro Tem for Mandatory mediations for Riverside County Mediation Program 1990-2013
University of California - Los Angeles
B.A. (1967) | English Literature
Honors: Pledge Scholar 1966
University of California - Los Angeles
B.A. (1967) | English Literature
Received the Distinguished "Bird Award" from the Desert Bar Association.
Desert Bar Association
I have been a member of the Desert Bar Association for 40 years. I have spoken at the "Bird Awards" dinner on numerous occasions, and have received the Award on 3 occasions. It is an award only given out by the Desert Bar Association to attorneys who have donated time to various DBA related events.
Professional Associations
Desert Bar Association
Arbitrator, Fee Dispute Resolution Program
- Current
Activities: Handle arbitrations of fee disputes betweeen local attorneys and their clients. I have arbitrated 35+ cases, and wrote the Opinion Letter on non-refundable attorney fees, that is circulated to all Arbitrators in the Program with each new Arbitration.
California State Bar # 71052
- Current
American Association of Justice
Activities: Active Member
Riverside Superior Court, Indio Branch
Judge Pro Tem
Activities: Acted as Judge Pro Tem for the Superior Court (Indio Branch) handling Settlement conferences and Court Mediations.
Articles & Publications
Legally Speaking
California Supreme Court
All California Courts & Fedearl District Court
LIcensed Real Estate Broker
California Department of Real Estate
LIfetime Teaching Credential
California Community Colleges, since 1989
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
260 Questions Answered

Q. Can an agent working for a broker (First Team Real Estate) sue you for cancelling the listing agreement?
A: While the agent is always responsible to the Broker, the answer to your question probably lies somewhere in the listing agreement. Some listing agreements specify that the agreement cannot be canceled for a certain period of time. In my opinion, since the first agent did nothing, she has no grounds to receive any part of a commission. In my experience, most agents will simply forego the commission rather than get into a long, protracted lawsuit over it. I doubt that First Team Realty will pursue the matter. You should let them know that you will not pay any part of the commission to First Team Realty. Since I have not reviewed the pertinent documents, I cannot guarantee the results. Good Luck. Tom Grossman, Esq.
Q. Ownership dispute with previous roommate
A: Most people become very attached to their pets. Since you paid the fees and "adopted" the dog, you should have some rights to at least visit the dog. It would be easier to work out a solution if both of you could come up with a plan for sharing the dog. If she absolutely refuses to let you see the dog, you could take the matter to small claims court. If you do, be sure to bring all the papers with you. Good Luck.
Q. I bought a property with a known encroachment. About 10' corner of my bldg hangs over their property line.
A: I am responding to a call from you recently today. I do not handle litigation cases, and I think that is where you are headed. Property law can be very tricky. Since you knew of the encroachment when you acquired the property, that portion of he encroachment would technically belong to the other side, especially if he/they didn't know about the encroachment. You would therefore have to bring a lawsuit against your neighbor and hope that you can find a defect in his title (or in his deed) that would give you that portion of land. That is an expensive proposition. Good Luck.
Q. If a government agency causes a company to go bankrupt because of an agency decision that breaks the law...
A: It depends on the circumstances. Despite what we would like to believe, most government agencies are not perfect because they are staffed by government workers who sometimes don't care about their jobs. I have run into this problem many times, and there us no way to win once the agency makes it's decision. Your only alternative then is to sue them, and that is both expensive and time-consuming. And by the time you get a decision from the agency, your business is probably ruined anyway. You can try contacting the person in charge of the agency to see if they can help the situation.
Q. whT CAN I DO IF MY WIFE HAD A FALL at a hospital
A: It depends on the circumstances. If she simply fell down on her own, there may be nothing that you can do. However, if she fell down do to negligence on the part of the Hospital (e.g. water or other liquid on the floor; poor lighting; no nurse available to help her; et.) she may have a case. Unfortunately, many people feel they can walk just fine but end up falling anyway. That would not be he Hospital's fault. It also depends on where she was when she fell, and how bad she hurt herself. Need more information to give you a good answer.
Q. If I have been paying $400. A month for almost 4 years new owners have increased my rent to 600.can they increase that
A: If you are not on a lease, the new owners can only increase your rent with at least 30 days notice. You then have a choice to accept the new rent, or find a new place to live. Or, perhaps you can bargain with them.
Q. Despite assurances, Contractor failed to complete work on time as agreed upon in contract. Is this a breach of contract?
A: It depends on how far past the deadline it took the contractor to complete the work. It is commo that contractors underestimate the time for completion of a project due to various delays (shortage of supplies, sick workers, weather etc.). It also depends on how important the deadline was. Unless you have an urgency here, like moving into a house, closing an escrow, etc.) you should be able to work it out with the contractor. You can also ask for an adjustment of the fees if you have been inconvenienced monetarily. Good Luck.
Q. As a renter, if I am given a "50 day notice" of a rent increase that I do not agree with and plan on leaving, am I oblig
A: Generally, unless you have a signed contract of lease, a landlord can give you notice of a rent increase, and then you must either accept it or move out. If you have a lease, a landlord cannot do that.
Q. Can we take action against my building owner for failing to secure the building?
A: You are sort of in a catch-22 here. The owner should hire a security guard to watch the building and the lobby, and there should also be security cameras in place. However, it won't do you much good if you get fired for asking for reimbursement for stolen packages. I don't know exactly how your building handles mail and packages, and I wonder if the manager of the building gets his packages and mail. Since you have already notified him of he problem, and he hasn't solved it, you could now go to Small Claims Court the next time this happens and make a claim for negligence against the owner for not securing the building. And you could claim damages for whatever losses you incur.
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
1415 N. Sunrise Way, Unit 41
Palm Springs, CA 92262
Telephone: (760) 324-3800
Fax: (800) 648-3601