Pawnee A. Davis

Pawnee A. Davis

We Put Our Clients First
  • Divorce, Family Law, Personal Injury
  • District of Columbia, Maryland
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

I am an award-winning attorney who is experienced and knowledgeable. I am committed to serving my clients well through assertive, thoughtful advocacy. All cases are handled with care, and with a focus on getting results for the client. It is a team effort and I seek the best resolution for you.

Some results:
I obtained an award of 50% joint physical custody and decision making authority for a father--exactly what he wanted.

I litigated a motion and won a judgment for a mother that she is able to keep primary custody of her special needs daughter.

Through my contract writing, a cyber security firm received the correct contractor agreements in place for its federal contract.

My efforts through legal advice helped keep a CEO's business decisions within the bounds of the law.

A middle-aged professional wins a protective order against her abusive ex-boyfriend.
A man receives a protective order against his harassing ex-girlfriend.

These are just some of the ways I've helped my clients.

Call now for your initial consultation!

Practice Areas
  • Divorce
  • Family Law
  • Personal Injury
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    Discover, MasterCard, and Visa cards are accepted and preferred.
  • Contingent Fees
    Contingency fees may be appropriate for certain cases.
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    I offer free phone consultations After the phone consultation we will meet in person and discuss how I would approach your case based on your unique circumstances.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
District of Columbia
  • Spanish: Written
Professional Experience
Various short-term contract positions at law firms
Handled family law, contract law, and negotiated settlements for law firms.
Policy/Legal Analyst
Government Accountability Office
Legal and policy research, analysis, and writing: immigration, insider trading, appropriations law, and other matters. Received multiple awards relating to leadership, thorough analysis, and financial savings.
Legal Intern
Regional Housing Legal Services
Legal research and advice regarding incorporation of non-profit organizations and affordable housing issues.
Legal Intern
Various short-term internships
Worked at district attorney's office, county attorney's office, alternative dispute resolution department. Helped prepare and file pleadings, summaries, memos, researched cases, prepared evidence, and legal memos.
University of Pittsburgh School of Law
J.D. | Law
Activities: Journal of Technology, Law, and Policy
University System of Georgia - Savannah State University
M.A. (2001) | Public Administration
Honors: Summa Cum Laude
Activities: Tutor, Pre-law Fraternity, Legal Intern
California State University - Sacramento
B.A. (1999) | Government/Pre-Law
Activities: Tutor, Women's Track Team
Rising Stars
Super Lawyers
Top 10 Attorney
American Institute of Family Law Attorneys
Lead Counsel Rated in Divorce Law
Lead Counsel Rated
Top 100 Lawyers
National Black Lawyers
Professional Associations
J Franklyn Bourne
- Current
Native American Bar Association of DC
- Current
Women's Bar Association of DC
- Current
Washington Council for Lawyers
- Current
Montgomery County Bar Association
- Current
DC Bar Association
- Current
Maryland State Bar
- Current
Speaking Engagements
5th National Pescatoral Domestic Violence Conference, Washington, DC
Pennsylvania Baptist Church
Spoke about the domestic violence from a legal perspective and answered questions.
Verified Lead Counsel in Divorce Law
Lead Counsel
Legal Answers
22 Questions Answered

Q. Do I have a case, pharmacy gave me wrong medicine, I took one, threw up, still feeling sick though.
A: Please obtain a copy of the document for your own records. Also, you need to obtain the pharmacist ‘s contact information because you may need him to testify about the mistake.
Q. What proper/careful steps do I take to make sure an abusive parent/estranged husband is not given custody or visitation?
A: Your situation needs a lawyer to ask you questions and get more information in order to advise you. So, please contact an attorney experienced in divorce and domestic violence.
Q. spouse on conditional visa in usa sent back due to conflict with uscitizen wife if no contact for six month it's divor
A: There is no automatic divorce even if you haven seen or spoken to o your spouse in 6 months. You will need to file for a divorce. I suggest that you make an appointment with a lawyer to discuss what to do.
Q. Husband wants a divorce and has not filed yet. I just found out that he has been cheating for the past 4 years. Options?
A: Depending on when your daughter reaches age 18 or is emancipated, she might not be an issue for the divorce suit in terms of custody and child support. If she is then that will be another issue to sort out for you two. Your options are to file for a divorce based on separation or based on adultery. If you file based on adultery you have the challenge of needing solid evidence to prove the adultery. But you can also include the separation. You could start your case in court based on a limited divorce (much like a legal separation) and it will be ripe for the final divorce in April 2018. Feel free to contact me if you have additional questions.
Q. Hello, I am married for 6 years and getting divorced. What are my rights?
A: I am not able to give you an answer without more information. There are questions and follow up questions that need to be asked about your situation for me to give you an answer. You may call to schedule a consultation or any divorce lawyer in Maryland of your choosing.
Q. Do I have to pay Maryland annual back fees for an entity that has never conducted any business?
A: I sympathize with you. When you set up a business you do need to follow the state law requirements and pay all your dues. You should have dissolved the business if you weren’t making any money at all for the first year. That doesn’t mean not making a profit. It means literally not making any money. At this point you may want to speak to Maryland to see if you can negotiate with them to pay less if you don’t have the funds to pay the back fees. Otherwise, just pay them.
Q. Should we merge our companies or just change the name?
A: Changing the name would have no effect. So, I would advise you make the businesses one business. You have not said what type of business Company A is. But should they have the same or similar purposes it should be fine. However, I do urge you to consult with an attorney so that he or she can get more details to be certain they are advising you correctly.
Q. Can I sue a cyclist who hit me on a sidewalk? There were no marked bike lanes.
A: There are several questions I would ask you before I could tell you that if you have a case where you may want to sue the bicyclist. Were you injured? Do you have medical bills? What is thI total amount of charges? Do you have the bicyclists contact information? These are some factors that need to be addressed by an attorney. Please find one to have a consultation with.
Q. I was hit while riding my bicycle and I hardly remember it. How can I sue the driver if my memory is so blurry?
A: More information is need d to answer your question. However, some things that may help your case. You went the ER or another doctor for treatment. How injured are you? Were there any witnesses that you have or can get contact information for? Did you speak to anyone about the account? Can the driver that hit you he identified? Was there a police report? A consultation with an attorney would greatly help you.
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
Montgomery County Office
17 W Jefferson St.
Suite 4
Rockville, MD 20850
Toll-Free: (844) 350-8343
Telephone: (202) 870-3021
DC Office
1717 K Street NW
Suite 900
Washington, DC 20006
Toll-Free: (844) 350-8343
Telephone: (202) 870-3021