Free Consultation: (770) 461-2025Tap to Call This Lawyer
P. Justin Thrailkill

P. Justin Thrailkill

Brown, Barbour, & Thrailkill, P.C.
  • Divorce, Family Law, Juvenile Law...
  • Georgia
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

Justin devotes his practice primarily to the areas of divorce, custody, and parental advocacy in DFCS matters. As an advocate for the rights of parents, Justin has realized his lifelong passion for helping others in their time of need. Through seven years of practice, Justin has represented a variety of clients in various matters throughout our legal system. He finds great satisfaction in seeing his client’s cases through to a successful resolution, regardless of the challenges that may exist with any particular case. Among his peers, Justin is well known to be a compassionate advocate for his clients, because he firmly believes in the mantra that one should treat others as they wish to be treated. As a father himself, Justin is particularly passionate about the rights of parents, and the protection of those rights. No matter how tough, how unpopular, or how challenging the case, Justin is eager to defend your fundamental right to raise your children.

Prior to forming Brown, Barbour, & Thrailkill, P.C., Justin was an associate in this Firm’s predecessor, Miller & Brown, P.C. and a summer associate at the Law Office of John B. Miller, LLC.

Outside of his practice, Justin enjoys spending time with his wife, Jennifer, and his daughter, Madison. He is active in his home church, Stockbridge First United Methodist Church, where he has served in various leadership positions. When Justin is not advocating for you, he is cheering for his alma mater, the Georgia Bulldogs, with his family and friends

Practice Areas
  • Divorce
  • Family Law
  • Juvenile Law
  • Probate
  • Criminal Law
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Brown, Barbour, & Thrailkill, P.C.
- Current
Miller & Brown, P.C.
Cumberland School of Law, Samford University
J.D. (2009) | Law
University System of Georgia - University of Georgia
B.A. (2004) | Political Science
Honors: Hope Scholarship, Rusty Stalnaker Memorial Scholarship
Professional Associations
State Bar of Georgia
- Current
Fayette County Bar Association
- Current
Speaking Engagements
Basic Uncontested Divorces, Uncontested Child Custody Actions, and General Self Representation, Griffin Circuit Family Law Workshop, Fayetteville Library, Fayetteville, GA
Brown, Barbour, & Thrailkill, P.C.
Websites & Blogs
Brown, Barbour, & Thrailkill, P.C.
Legal Answers
968 Questions Answered

Q. can any one give me some advice. thay have taken my niece away
A: First, don't put your name and contact information in this forum. This is not for the solicitation of business and putting this information on a public forum could negatively impact any case you may have. As far as your question, it sounds like a complicated situation. If the child was born during his marriage, the child is his child, legally, until the biological father legitimates the child or the child is otherwise adopted. That said, it sounds like your brother is in the middle of a dependency case. It is possible for the Court to place the child with you through kinship placement, but you have not right to petition for that. You can ask DFCS to recommend it, but they have to do a home study and determine that your home is the best fit for temporary placement. That is determined at the sole discretion of the Court, so, if they so no, that is it and you have no right to press the issue further. Your brother is entitled to representation in this matter, so he needs to apply for a court appointed attorney if he doesn't have one already.
Q. Can the absent parent sign over their rights to kids? They don’t want to pay child support and wants to sign over right
A: No, it doesn't work like that. Under Georgia law, even if they were able to terminate their rights, the parent would still have an obligation to pay child support.
Q. Child support matter
A: It depends on your order and how it is written. Even if the order doesn't automatically reduce support, you still have the ability to file for a modification of support once the 18 year old emancipates. You can apply to modify through the local child support office at a nominal cost if you decide to do so.
Q. Can I have a CPS case reopened?
A: What are you trying to do? Are you wanting the case reopened? If so, why? It sounds like the previous case was dismissed. If this case never reached court, it likely never made it past the investigation stage. If the investigation found you were not responsible, the case would be closed. If something new happens, they will open a new case and possibly revisit old allegations. The distinction of whether you are reopening an old case or opening a new case really isn't important.
Q. I have an active case with DCSS in GA can I still file child abandonment against the NCP.
A: Yes, you can. That may make you feel better about it, but the bigger issue is getting paid. If he's incarcerated on child abandonment charges, how can he earn money to pay you? The Court will likely incarcerate him for contempt anyway. Depending on the county, they can put him on work release to allow him to work to repay the child support. That's likely your better option.
Q. I've filed for child support and my court date is in July. What to expect at this court date?
A: If you filed through the child support office, there is nothing for you to do other than show up and provide any documentation they ask for. The case is brought in the name of the child, so, technically, it is out of your hands at this point.
Q. With joint legal custody does the father have to discuss medical as well as our of state travel with me? Temp order.
A: See my answer to the other question you posted. Refer to the parenting plan. Your parenting plan will address this.
Q. How can I let the non- custodial parent get our 16 year old who wants to live with him?
A: That depends. If there is a custody order, you will need to modify that so that he can register her for school. If the order was in Georgia, and she is here now, it would be appropriate for him to file here to modify it. If you both agree to terms, this could be uncontested and an attorney could assist you for an relatively inexpensive rate. If the order was in North Dakota, you should still consult with an attorney to see what your options are. It could be domesticated in Georgia, but it may simply be easier to contact an attorney in North Dakota. If there is no order, he would need to file to legitimate the child in Georgia in the county where she lives. Again, if this is by consent you can have an attorney prepare the papers at an uncontested rate.
Q. Can I trust a court-appointed defender in Dekalb County, where DFACS has unlawfully taken my 22-month-old daughter?
A: You can trust the public defender. I will tell you that you aren't the first I've heard make those allegations against DeKalb DFCS. Right or wrong, you will have the opportunity to address these allegations in court. Take advantage of the ability to have a public defender. If you are unhappy with their services, contact private counsel to take over.
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
Fayetteville Office
465 N. Jeff Davis Dr.
Fayetteville, GA 30214
Telephone: (770) 461-2025
Fax: (770) 461-2026
Kennesaw Office
125 Townpark Drive
Kennesaw, GA 30144
Telephone: (770) 461-2025
Fax: (770) 461-2026