Free Consultation: (256) 297-1052Tap to Call This Lawyer
Nelson Craig Johnson

Nelson Craig Johnson

Licensed Alabama and Georgia Attorney with a focus on Personal Injury Cases
  • Personal Injury, Insurance Claims, Nursing Home Abuse ...
  • Alabama, Georgia
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ABlawg SearchSocial Media

Nelson represents clients in car and trucking accidents, dog bite cases, wrongful death actions, slip and fall cases and other insurance disputes.

Nelson is from Arab, Alabama, where he grew up working with his Father and Grandfather on their small cattle farm. He is no stranger to hard work and will put that work ethic to good use when working on your case.

Nelson graduated with special honors in his major from Jacksonville State University, where he earned his Bachelors of Science in Criminal Justice. Nelson went Graduated in the top third of his class at Cumberland School of Law, Samford University. While at Cumberland, Nelson served as the President of the Federalist Society, a Senior Member of the Trial Board, competed as a member of the Cumberland Mediation Team, and made Dean’s List every semester. Nelson has been admitted to practice law in Alabama, Georgia, and the Federal District Court in the Northern District of Alabama.

Practice Areas
    Personal Injury
    Animal & Dog Bites, Brain Injury, Car Accidents, Construction Accidents, Motorcycle Accidents, Premises Liability, Truck Accidents, Wrongful Death
    Insurance Claims
    Bad Faith Insurance, Motor Vehicle Insurance, Property Insurance
    Nursing Home Abuse
    Products Liability
    Drugs & Medical Devices, Motor Vehicle Defects, Toxic Torts
    Workers' Compensation
  • Free Consultation
  • Contingent Fees
    I don't get paid unless you are compensated. I pay for all expenses up front and I am only paid if you receive an award or settlement.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Alabama State Bar Association
ID Number: 4576D58U
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
State Bar of Georgia
ID Number: 683089
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
US District Court for Northern District of Alabama
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Griffith, Lowry & Meherg
- Current
Cumberland School of Law, Samford University
J.D. | Law
Cumberland School of Law
Honors: Dean's list every semester
Activities: President of the Federalist Society, Member of the National Mediation Team, and Senior Member of the Trial Board
Cumberland School of Law, Samford University Logo
Jacksonville State University
B.S. | Criminal Justice
Honors: Graduated with special honors within major
Activities: Served as Vice President of Sigma Nu Fraternity
Jacksonville State University Logo
Professional Associations
Alabama State Bar  # 4576D58U
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Georgia State Bar  # 683089
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Websites & Blogs
Firm Website
A Simple Guide to Alabama Personal Injury
Legal Answers
39 Questions Answered
Q. My son is 12 and doesn’t want to go to his dads any longer? Anything I can do
A: You should speak to an attorney in your area who can give you a detailed analysis based on the specific facts of your case and the likelihood of success. You will need to file a new action with the court requesting an alteration of the custody/visitation arrangement. You should make a request to have a Guardian Ad Litem ("GAL") appointed immediately to evaluate and represent the concerns of the child. He is right at that age where a Judge may begin to consider his opinions and testimony regarding his wishes on where he wants to live. The primary concern in any child custody matter is going to be "what is in the best interests of the child." That is why having a GAL appointed to evaluate the child's condition and needs will be critical. If he/she feels their is neglect or abuse they will advocate to the Judge on the child's behalf for what they believe is in the best interest of the child.
Q. Am I entitled to some type of contributions that I made towards his home that we lived in without my name on the deed?
A: You would likely be entitled to some portion of the value of the home based on the payments made on the home or improvements done to the home during the time of the marriage regardless of the name on the deed or mortgage. Approximately 50% of all payments made during the marriage or improvements made to the home during the marriage. Alabama law views all income of a married couple as marital funds and when marital funds are used to make the payments or pay for improvements to an asset then the value of those payments or improvements will be split evenly between the two parties. That does not mean you are entitled to any value of the home prior to the marriage. Only 50% of those amounts paid during the marriage or improvement values during the marriage. (Possibly the appreciation of the home but that gets much more complicated if he owned the property before the marriage.) The exception would be if he had a separate bank account in which he maintained non-martial funds (like an inheritance) and made all payments on the home or payments for improvements to the home out of that non-marital account. (almost no-one actually does this) If he was using non-marital funds to make payments and improvements to the home and he owned the home prior to the marriage it is entirely possible that a Court would still find that the value of the home is only his. I think you would still have an arguement that you are entitled to some portion of the value of the home, but it would be possible for a Court to find otherwise in this unlikely scenario.
Q. It's a wood storage building licensed as a gun store business I cut into the back of it with a skill saw I never entered
A: (a) A person commits the crime of burglary in the third degree if any of the following occur: (1) He or she knowingly enters or remains unlawfully in a dwelling with the intent to commit a crime therein; (2) He or she knowingly enters or remains unlawfully in an occupied building with the intent to commit a crime therein; or (3) He or she knowingly enters or remains unlawfully in an unoccupied building with the intent to commit a crime therein. (b) Burglary in the third degree is a Class C felony. Sounds like there are several crimes you could be convicted of; however, if you never entered the property then burglary does not appear to be one that would apply. The only foreseeable arguement I could see a district attorney making is that the saw entered the building and was an extension of you. You should consult an attorney for specific advise in your case, but I think this is a case that could likely be plead down to a misdemeanor.
View More Answers
Contact & Map
Griffith, Lowry & Meherg
409 First Avenue S.W.
Cullman, AL 35055
Telephone: (256) 297-1052
Monday: 8 AM - 5 PM (Today)
Tuesday: 8 AM - 5 PM
Wednesday: 8 AM - 5 PM
Thursday: 8 AM - 5 PM
Friday: 8 AM - 5 PM
Saturday: Closed
Sunday: Closed