Free Consultation: (815) 520-5443Tap to Call This Lawyer
Mrs. Lucinda D. Bugden

Mrs. Lucinda D. Bugden

Law Offices of Lucinda D. Bugden
  • Divorce, Family Law, Juvenile Law ...
  • Illinois
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&AResponsive Law

I have been practicing law for over 25 years and believe that I am one of the best litigators out there. I listen to my clients and put their requests into legal pleadings. I advocate for my clients zealously. I spend most of my time working and not much time with my family, that includes several very large dogs. I volunteer at a local school when I can as I believe that children need our patience and help to grow up to healthy and happy adults. It is my goal to make the world a better place for everyone.

Practice Areas
Collaborative Law, Contested Divorce, Military Divorce, Property Division, Same Sex Divorce, Spousal Support & Alimony, Uncontested Divorce
Family Law
Adoption, Child Custody, Child Support, Father's Rights, Guardianship & Conservatorship, Paternity, Prenups & Marital Agreements, Restraining Orders, Same Sex Family Law
Juvenile Law
Landlord Tenant
Evictions, Housing Discrimination, Landlord Rights, Rent Control, Tenants' Rights
Criminal Law
Criminal Appeals, Drug Crimes, Expungement, Fraud, Gun Crimes, Internet Crimes, Sex Crimes, Theft, Violent Crimes
Chapter 11 Bankruptcy, Chapter 13 Bankruptcy, Chapter 7 Bankruptcy, Debt Relief
Probate Administration, Probate Litigation, Will Contests
  • Free Consultation
    up to 1/2 hour free initial consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    Visa, MasterCard, Discover
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    Flat fees and payment plans available
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Professional Experience
Law Offices of Lucinda D. Bugden
Staff Attorney
Prairie State Legal Services, Inc.
Represented single parents in child support, divorce, and Order of Protection cases in Boone, Winnebago, Ogle, Stephenson and Jo Daviess Counties.
First Assistant
Dekalb County Public Defender's Office
Represented individuals charged in felony, misdemeanor cases, and in abuse/neglect and delinquency cases. Litigated over 50 jury trials.
Northern Illinois University
J.D. (1988) | Law
Northern Illinois University Logo
Northern Illinois University
B.A. | English
Activities: Debate scholarship
Northern Illinois University Logo
Websites & Blogs
Bugden Law Offices
Legal Answers
8 Questions Answered
Q. Child Support for emancipated kids
A: In Illinois the obligation to pay child support ends when the child turns 18 years old or graduates high school. If the child is 19 years and has not finished high school, the judge's usually extend child support until they graduate. This usually has to be specifically ordered by the judge. But if your child or children is attending college or a vocational school, you can petition the judge to order the other parent to contribute to "post-educational expenses." In Winnebago County this obligation is usually split 3 ways; mother pays 1/3, father pays 1/3 & the child (who is no longer a child) will either have to get a loan, financial aid, or work to pay for his 1/3 of his/her education. You can ask for not just the educational costs, but also for medical expenses, costs of books & supplies, housing expenses, and reasonable living expenses. The law is found at 750 ILCS 5/513. ... Read More
Q. I am 17 yr old and live in an abusive house with my mother and stepfather. My real father called DCFS no results.
A: Under Illinois law, both parents get visitation (now called "parenting time") with their children. Therefore your legal father should have court ordered visitation with you. On the Order of Protection which named you without your consent, you can appear in court on the OOP & tell the judge that you do not want an OOP against your father. You can file for your own OOP against your mother & her abusive boyfriend. If your parents were married there should be a divorce case; if they were never married, there should be a family case. Your father can file a motion asking for parenting time with you. Or keep having teachers, counselors, or nurses calling DCFS for you, or even call them yourself & tell them of the abuse you are suffering at your mom's. Every call must be investigated & there is no charge to you. Is emancipation possible? If you are self sufficient, you can file a case asking to be emancipated before you graduate from high school or turn 18 years old. But both parents must agree to it. Suggest you talk to an attorney, most offer free initial consultations & you can review all your options with an experienced advocate. ... Read More
Q. The mother of my two children up and left without notice, not sure she is coming back. What can I do?
A: You should file a Family case in the county where you reside. You are going to have to have her "served" with the complaint by a sheriff's deputy or a private process server. Go to Illinois legal online to learn your rights & to help you file the petition. If you hire an attorney, they will draft the legal pleadings for you. I recommend talking to an attorney and not using online services as they will send you a generic form, where an attorney can create a pleading which includes the specifics of your case. If you do not know her address, check with the police to see if they can locate your children through their school records. Under Illinois law, if a parent takes the children away from the other parent for 1 week, it is the crime of kidnapping. Possible the local States Attorney's office may assist you in locating your family. ... Read More
View More Answers
Contact & Map
Law Offices of Lucinda D. Bugden
Telephone: (815) 520-5443
Cell: (815) 520-5443
Monday: 9 AM - 4:30 PM
Tuesday: 9 AM - 4:30 PM
Wednesday: 9 AM - 4:30 PM
Thursday: 9 AM - 4:30 PM
Friday: Closed (Today)
Saturday: Closed
Sunday: Closed
Notice: Available on Fridays and Saturdays by appointment only. Face masks or social distancing of 6 feet at office appointments.