Free Consultation: (971) 533-6178Tap to Call This Lawyer
Mr. Michael O. Stevens

Mr. Michael O. Stevens

Stevens & Legal
  • Construction Law, Employment Law, Insurance Claims...
  • Oregon, U.S. District of Oregon
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

Michael Stevens has a background in insurance defense representing individuals to large corporations in a wide variety of cases from personal injury to wrongful death and construction defects. He handled cases with values of as much as $4 million, and drafted many successful motions for summary judgment. An Oregon native, he graduated from Oregon State University with his bachelor’s degree and earned his juris doctorate at Willamette University College of Law in Salem in 2009. At Willamette he was an editor and writer for Willamette Law Online and the Web & Publication Editor for the Willamette Sports Law Journal. He is married with two daughters and lives in Hillsboro.

Most of his practice consists of personal injuries (auto accidents, dog bites), employment law (final paychecks, discrimination), and business law (LLC formation, registered agent). He also is not afraid to take on the big insurance companies when needed.

Practice Areas
  • Construction Law
  • Employment Law
  • Insurance Claims
  • Personal Injury
  • Intellectual Property
  • Business Law
  • Products Liability
  • Free Consultation
    A free 30-minute consultation is available.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
  • Contingent Fees
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
U.S. District of Oregon
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
9th Circuit
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Shareholder & Attorney
Stevens & Legal
- Current
Field Legal
Liberty Mutual
Willamette University College of Law
J.D. (2009) | Law
Activities: Willamette Law Online, Willamette Sports Law Journal
Willamette University College of Law Logo
Oregon State University
B.S. (1997) | History
Honors: Dean's list, Phi Alpha Theta
Activities: KBVR-TV
Oregon State University Logo
10 Best Attorneys - Client Satisfaction
American Institute of Personal Injury Attorneys
Top 100 Litigation - Oregon
The American Society of Legal Advocates
Top 100 - Civil Plaintiff
The National Trial Lawyers
Lawyers of Distinction
Top 40 Under 40
The National Trial Lawyers
Eagle Scout
Boy Scouts of America
Professional Associations
Oregon Trial Lawyers Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
National Trial Lawyers
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
National Employment Lawyers Association # NELA20160712152618
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
American Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Oregon State Bar Association Intelectual Property Rights Section
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Articles & Publications
Urban growth boundary settled or just getting started?
Speaking Engagements
Primer on Copyright, Art+Feminism 2016 Eugene Meet Up, Eugene, Oregon
Covered how copyright laws as applied to the usage of images on Wikipedia.
Websites & Blogs
Stevens & Legal
Legal Answers
487 Questions Answered

Q. Does my employer have the right to alter my time card simply because he disagrees what I recorded as work time.
A: You can, but be prepared to be fired. It would be unlawful retaliation, but the wage theft is also unlawful. My suggestion would be to find a new job first. Also, if you do file a complaint, focus only on the hours docked. The fact that you are a foreman and there were bad bids has nothing to do with the validity of your complaint.
Q. Can a employer garnish a employees wages without a signed document giving permission to do so?
A: Garnishment and a draw are two different things. A garnishment is a legal process your employer cannot do without being told to do it by someone with authority, such as a court; or if it is for their own purposes of money you owe them, only after they get a judgment from a court. A draw is a loan, and there are special rules about that, including as you note, that there has to be a written agreement for the draw that you have to sign.
Q. If my final paycheck wasn't payed to me when the law requires it be ? Does my employer have to pay me a full days wages?
A: There are a lot of things going on, but yes, it sounds like he would owe you a minimum of 8 hours of pay for each day he was late. But there is the possibility he owes more, a lot more. You should contact an employment law attorney near you to discuss.
Q. I asked for sick pay because my made me come to work or I was fired and he would keep my last check. I lost my voice
A: I don't believe there are liquidated damages for sick pay violations.
Q. I worked for my employer for 7 years and no scheduled breaks or lunch breaks. Should be compensated ? For shifts 6+hrs
A: For regular breaks, you get nothing. BOLI can fine them, but you don't get that money. For lunches, it depends on if you were paid for that time or not as to if you can get something. Again, BOLI can fine them for it, but you get nothing unless you were not paid for the time.
Q. Can a civil case move forward without having the defendant served or being served?
A: It con proceed for a short while, but check the court records to see if you were actually served. Just because you are not served like you see in the movies does not mean you were not served. There are many ways to serve someone.
Q. Can an employer fire you when you get hurt on the job and your claim accepted by workers comp?
A: You should consult a worker's compensation attorney to deal with the denial. They can still terminate you, they just cannot do it because you filed a worker's comp claim. As in, they cannot retaliate against you for filing the claim. If you were drunk driving forklifts off the loading dock, they can still fire you for that, even if that was how you were injured.
Q. I am trying to find a lawyer who will help me with my personal injury case on an hourly basis. Any suggestions?
A: I doubt any attorney advertises that they do that sort of thing, so you will just want to call/email some attorneys and ask. Search for ones that do personal injury cases so they know the pitfalls to watch out for.
Q. How can I remove a PIP claim from someone not written on my auto insurance policy?
A: You can't, and honestly its not a last ditch effort, its what the law is, she is covered if she lived with you.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
3699 NE John Olsen Avenue
Hillsboro, OR 97124
Telephone: (971) 533-6178
Cell: (971) 533-6178
Fax: (971) 228-2608