Free Consultation: (310) 664-9969Tap to Call This Lawyer
Mr. David Thomas Pisarra

Mr. David Thomas Pisarra

  • Divorce, Domestic Violence, Family Law...
  • California
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

Our firm is devoted to the fathers and husbands, which is why our website is

We do handle mothers and wives, particularly in Parental Alienation cases, and Hague Convention Child Custody cases.

We practice in the courts of Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside and Ventura counties, regularly.

I have authored 3 books for men, A Man's Guide to Child Custody, A Man's Guide to Divorce Strategy and A Man's Guide to Domestic Violence. They are available both as e-book downloads from my website,, or on Amazon in hard copy.

I have represented fathers in Child Custody Cases where they have been fraudulently accused by their ex's of child molestation and abuse, and won the fathers custody and visitation.

I have successfully put a stop to Alimony payments by an ex-wife who was committing fraud - I saved my client over $150,000 in Alimony payments in that case.

The new laws on Domestic Violence make alleging it very attractive to a parent who doesn't want to share custody - that's why I wrote a book about it for men. If you've been accused of DV, you could lose visitation to your children.

Practice Areas
  • Divorce
  • Domestic Violence
  • Family Law
  • International Law
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    MasterCard Visa American Express
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    Retainers are dependent on the individual facts of each case - my hourly rate is $395.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Professional Experience
Pisarra & Grist
Law practice that focuses on the needs of Fathers and Husbands in Divorces, Child Support, Child Custody Disputes, Spousal Support Awards, Fast Track Evaluations, Full 730 Evaluations. Paternity Cases. Restraining Order - Defense and Prosecution.
Univ of West Los Angeles
Law Degree
Placeholder image for education.
St. John's College
B.A. (1989) | Philosophy & Mathematics
Activities: Yearbook, Drama Club - King William Players
Placeholder image for education.
Professional Associations
National Center for Missing and Exploited Children
Network listed attorney
- Current
Activities: Listed in the Attorney network for Hague convention cases of parentally abducted children and those who are wrongfully withheld from their other parent.
Placeholder image for professional associations.
International Support Network For Alienated Families
Secretary - Board Member
- Current
Activities: ISNAF is an international organization helping parents whose children have been alienated from them. Parental Alienation is child abuse, but the abuse doesn't end with the child, the alienated parent needs support, and that is what ISNAF provides. As an outreach organization for both parents and professionals ISNAF is bringing light to an otherwise very dark subject. If your child has been alienated from you, either physically with an abduction, or emotionally by a vindictive former spouse, ISNAF can help.
Placeholder image for professional associations.
International Support Network For Alienated Families
Secretary / General Counsel
- Current
Activities: The International Support Network For Alienated Families helps parents who have been cut out, alienated from, their children by the other parent. This devastating situation is child abuse and I have been privileged to work with this organization to assist in bringing awareness to the problem, and hope to the targeted parents.
Placeholder image for professional associations.
U.S. Department of State - Bureau of Consular Affairs
Non-Employee Attorney for Hague Convention on Child Abduction Cases
- Current
Activities: I am listed as an attorney on the State Department's Attorney Network as available to represent parents who have Hague Convention on Child Abduction cases in California seeking to gain access to their children. I am not a State Department employee, merely listed in their network.
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Santa Monica Bar Association
Arbitrator for Fee Disputes
- Current
Activities: I have arbitrated fee disputes between clients and attorneys in family law cases.
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Santa Monica Bar Association
Fee Dispute Arbitrator
- Current
Activities: In those cases where clients and attorneys cannot reach an amicable accord on the fees owed, sometimes it becomes necessary to have an arbitrator and I have performed that task.
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Beverly Hills Bar
- Current
Activities: Member
Placeholder image for professional associations.
California State Bar # 198610
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Los Angeles County Bar
Activities: Active member.
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Articles & Publications
A Man's Guide To Child Custody
Libero Media
A Man's Guide To Divorce Strategy
Libero Media
Men's Family Law Blog
David T. Pisarra, Esq.
Minor's Counsel training
Los Angeles County Bar Association
Mediator Training
Domestic Violence Training
Santa Monica Bar Assoc.
Family Law Trial Advocacy
Legal Answers
140 Questions Answered

Q. Father and mother not married living in AZ have a child. Following the birth of the child father becomes abusive, mother
A: Yes, jurisdiction is based on residency and time.
Q. In CA if a couple has been legally seperated for 5+ years is there still a 6 month waiting period for divorce once filed
A: The Legal Separation is one process, the Dissolution of Marriage is another. You will have to file a Petition and go through the entire process of dissolution, which includes the exchange of disclosures and also the waiting period.
Q. Can you folks help a mother in a custody dispute? Is it possible for her to speak to someone by phone?
A: You can call my office and ask to speak to a lawyer. Pisarra & Grist - 310 664-9969. You may also review my website, for information and to review my books, A Man's Guide To Child Custody, which is available as an e-book download.
Q. What forms do I need to change custody from a mom to a father who has the child 75% of the time.
A: You need to file an Order to Show Cause in the case in which there is a court order. The forms are available online and from the self-help desk of your local court. I would suggest that you review my book, A MAN'S GUIDE TO CHILD CUSTODY, as when you file for a change in custody, she will likely fight you, because you will now be entitled to child support, and I would hope that yo would be well armed with facts and declarations. My book can help you prepare for the arguments that you will be facing. My books are available on and my website as e-books for immediate download.
Q. Where can I begin to look for records containing a custody battle between my parents and my grandparents. 1985?
A: Each county has an index of the Petitioners and Respondents in family law cases. You can go to the county where they were litigating the case and start there. A case that old will likely be in archives, but the electronic index will allow you to find a case number.
Q. As a parent with joint legal custody in CA, do I have a right to my child's medical info?
A: Absolutely ! that's one of the main reasons for fighting to keep legal Custody of your child. There are many rights afforded you when you have legal custody of a child. I cover them in my books A MAN'S GUIDE TO DIVORCE STRATEGY and A MAN'S GUIDE TO CHILD CUSTODY. Both are available on, and on my website as an E-Book download. They answer most of the questions you as a parent will be asking your rights.
Q. Can CA separate RE acquired before marriage be transmuted to community property because mortgage is paid by both spouses
A: The community can develop an interest in the separate property holdings of a spouse. The cases are on record for this, and I would suggest that you seek the advice of a qualified family law attorney to discuss the tracing of the funds and how the law works on this topic. In my book, A MAN'S GUIDE TO DIVORCE STRATEGY, I discuss separate and community property and how they interact. The book is available on and my website, as an e-book download.
Q. I was married for 28 years. I make 100K - she makes 30K. How long will I have to pay? Where can I find the rules?
A: The law on this is that your marriage is one of "Long Duration" which means that it lasted more than 10 years and the court CAN maintain jurisdiction over the issue of spousal support for the lifetime of the parties. In general, the goal of spousal support is to allow the parties to become self-sufficient and to maintain the marital standard of living. Depending on how long you have been making 100k, that may or may not be the marital standard of living. Depending on how long she has been making 30k that may or may not be the standard for her income. These are highly complex issues, and it is why you should consult with an experienced family law attorney. There are specific factors that are used to determine what is the "fair" alimony/spousal support award but you need to speak with an attorney to know what they are and how they will effect your payments. I discuss Spousal Support in my book, A MAN'S GUIDE TO DIVORCE STRATEGY available on, and as an e-book on my website,
Q. How do I submit evidence in a child custody case?
A: Evidence must be admissible before you can submit it. It must have a foundation laid for its authenticity and trustworthiness. These are highly technical areas and lawyers spend a year in law school just to learn the basics, and then years in practice to perfect it. The basic process is to have a piece of evidence "Marked as Exhibit 1", it is then authenticated by someone who is testifying to its contents, a foundation for the document must be laid, then once a foundation exists, it can be "Admitted in to evidence". I would suggest that if you have important evidence you need in your case, you should consult with an attorney to develop a "script" for how you want to prove your evidence. Best of luck.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
1305 Pico Blvd
1305 Pico Blvd
Santa Monica, CA 90405
Telephone: (310) 664-9969
Fax: (310) 664-9677
Fax: (310) 664-9677
Fax: (310) 664-9677