Free Consultation: (913) 717-7112Tap to Call This Lawyer
Maya King

Maya King

Law Office of Maya Y. King
  • Immigration Law, Family Law
  • Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

Maya King graduated from the University of Minnesota Law School Cum Laude. Before moving to Kansas City and opening her law firm, she was in private practice in the Twin Cities.

Maya represents clients in family law and various immigration matters, including removal cases before the Executive Office of Immigration Review (EOIR), appeals to the Board of Immigration Appeals (BIA) and Administrative Appeals Office (AAO), immigrant and non-immigrant visas, and humanitarian cases.

She clerked for the Ramsey County Public Defenders’ Office in Saint Paul, Minnesota, where she represented misdemeanor and juvenile clients in court arraignments, bail hearings, and probation revocation hearings. She also externed for the Honorable Judge Tamara Garcia of the Fourth Judicial District Court in Minneapolis.

When she was in law school, Maya was a student director for the Detainee Rights Clinic of the Center for New Americans. She represented clients in asylum and removal hearings, supervised student attorneys in removal cases, and contributed to the establishment and development of the clinic program.

Practice Areas
  • Immigration Law
  • Family Law
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • Chinese: Spoken, Written
  • English: Spoken, Written
  • Mandarin: Spoken, Written
  • Spanish: Spoken, Written
University of Minnesota Law School
- present
University of Minnesota Law School Logo
Professional Associations
American Immigration Lawyers Association
Placeholder image for professional associations.
National Asian Pacific American Bar Association
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Speaking Engagements
Language Access Forum , NAPABA 2017 Convention , Washington DC
National Asian Pacific American Bar Association
How Immigrants are Changing Business – Financial & Legal Solutions , Hispanic Chamber Lunch and Learn , 107 W. 10th Street Kansas City, MO 64105
Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
Language Access Forum , 2017 NAPABA Central Regional Conference , St. Louis
National Asian Pacific American Bar Association
Legal Answers
12 Questions Answered

Q. my fiancee is a permanent res. but he is in jail and they have him on an immigration hold, why?
A: It could be a criminal hold if he was arrested. You need more information - contact ICE or an immigration attorney.
Q. Being an immigrant trying to get certified to be a Citizen how long is the process?What are all the main steps?
A: If you are talking about applying for naturalization, it can take anywhere between 4 months to 1 year depends on your jurisdiction. In Kansas City, it's generally pretty fast. However, it depends on the background checks and security clearance. You can file the N-400 on your own, or you could contact an attorney to do it for you. Good luck.
Q. What should do I do to avoid any circumstances for two traffic tickets in my next appearance in the court?
A: Generally speaking, not knowing the law is not a defense. You should seek a traffic attorney if you don't know what to say in Court. I will also seek the advice of an immigration attorney to fix your F-1 Out of Status as soon as you can. It is not a good idea to drive without a driver's license.
View More Answers
Contact & Map
Law Office of Maya Y. King
1828 Swift Avenue
Ste 104
North Kansas City, MO 64116
Telephone: (913) 717-7112
Fax: (913) 428-7750