Free Consultation: (401) 228-8271Tap to Call This Lawyer
Matthew T. Marin

Matthew T. Marin

Experienced Rhode Island Criminal Defense Attorney
  • Criminal Law, DUI & DWI, Domestic Violence...
  • Connecticut, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, South Carolina
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ABlawgsearchSocial Media

As a dedicated Rhode Island Criminal Defense Lawyer, Attorney Matthew Marin provides aggressive and experienced representation for those accused of criminal offenses throughout Rhode Island. While we represent individuals charged with a wide range of alleged criminal misconduct, we take on a large number of DUI (driving under the influence), domestic violence, and drug crime cases. If you or a loved one is facing criminal charges in Rhode Island, contact Attorney Matthew Marin at 401-228-8271 for a no obligation consultation regarding their case and information about how we can assist. In 2014, Attorney Matthew Marin was awarded the “Client’s Choice” Award by the legal website and named one of the “10 Best” DUI Attorneys in the State of Rhode Island by the American Institute of DUI/DWI Attorneys. He is also a member of the National College for DUI Defense and the National Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys. For more information on awards, recognition, and recent case victories, visit our website at

Practice Areas
  • Criminal Law
  • DUI & DWI
  • Domestic Violence
  • Traffic Tickets
  • White Collar Crime
Additional Practice Areas
  • Drug Crime Defense
  • Expungement of Criminal Records
  • Probation Violation Defense
  • Free Consultation
    Free Initial Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    Visa, Mastercard, American Express
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Rhode Island
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
South Carolina
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Marin and Barrett, Inc.
- Current
Founding Attorney
Law Offices of Matthew Marin
- Current
Rule 9
Rhode Island Department of Attorney General
Matthew T. Marin represented the State in probation and bail violation hearings, motions to expunge, and motions to reduce bail in the Providence District Court. He also prosecuted breathalyzer refusal cases at the Rhode Island Traffic Tribunal.
University of Rhode Island
MBA (2008)
University of Rhode Island Logo
Roger Williams University School of Law
J.D. (2008)
Honors: Graduated Magna Cum Laude, Member of Honors Program, Received CALI Award for Highest Grade in: Advanced Trial Advocacy, Rhode Island Civil Procedure, Property, Business Organizations, Public Interest Law and Ethics
Activities: Member of Roger Williams Trial Team - Participated in American Association for Justice Trial Competition and National Ethics Trial Competition
Placeholder image for education.
Clark University
B.A. (2004) | Management
Honors: Graduated Magna Cum Laude, Member of Phi Beta Kappa and Beta Gamma Sigma, Received Morton H. Sigel Award given to the Most Outstanding Senior Management Major
Clark University Logo
Rising Star
Super Lawyers
Rising Star
Super Lawyers
Rising Star
Super Lawyers
Rising Star
Super Lawyers
Named one of the "10 Best" DUI Attorneys in Rhode Island
American Instiute of DUI/DWI Attorneys
Professional Associations
Rhode Island Bar Association
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Massachusetts Bar Association
Placeholder image for professional associations.
National College for DUI Defense
Placeholder image for professional associations.
National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Rhode Island Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Legal Answers
5 Questions Answered

Q. Will it be easier to hire a lawyer to request 'good driving record' plea?
A: In Rhode Island, a Lawyer can represent you at the Rhode Island Traffic Tribunal to enter an admission seeking dismissal under the good driving statute. If you are leaving the Country, it is in your best interest to get your affairs in order with the lawyer well before you leave. In the alternative, you can seek a continuance on your ticket until you return to the Country. To do that, you would need to talk to the Traffic Court Prosecution Officer with the Police Department that issued you the ticket.
Q. Will a judge accept the 3 year clean record if I was a month away from 3 years clean?
A: In that situation I believe that it is worth the shot. While you may not be technically eligible for application of the Good Driving Statute, they Prosecutor and the Judge may give you some leeway since you are so close. As always, your best bet is with an experienced traffic court attorney by your side advocating for your.
Q. If someone can't afford the price of the speeding ticket they got are they able to work it off with community service?
A: Unfortunately, the Rhode Island Traffic Tribunal does not exchange community service in lieu of court fines and court costs.
Q. My 17 yr old was given a summons for speeding.... what does this mean? Will his license be suspended?
A: If he is 17 years old then he will not be able to use his good driving record. A good driving record requires no moving violations within the past 3 years and he has not been licensed for a full three years at this time. Given his age and that he was ticketed going 30 mph over the speed limit, there is a realistic possibility that the Traffic Court could seek to suspend his license. Moreover, even if he simply pays the fine he (and you) will be looking at substantially increased insurance rates for such a young driver. Our advice is always the same: seek the advice and counsel of an experienced traffic ticket attorney to assist you. There may be defenses to the ticket that you are not aware of and there may be legal avenues available to resolve the ticket without an increase in insurance rates.
Q. If I was pulled over for speeding in RI, and I'm from MA, can I pay the ticket online?
A: No, currently you cannot pre-pay your ticket online. You can pay the ticket by mail with a check and you can attempt to call the Rhode Island Traffic Tribunal (401-275-2700) with your ticket number and pay it by phone. The State is upgrading the computer system and you may be able to pre-pay online in the future.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
Downtown Providence Office
127 Dorrance Street
Penthouse Suite
Providence, RI 02903
Telephone: (401) 228-8271
Fax: (401) 633-6584
South County Office
36 South County Commons Way
Unit C-3
South Kingstown, RI 02879
Telephone: (401) 594-8001
Newport Office
37 Bellevue Ave
Newport, RI 02840
Telephone: (401) 218-0034