Free Consultation: (610) 434-7138Tap to Call This Lawyer
Mark Scoblionko

Mark Scoblionko

Scoblionko, Scoblionko, Muir & Melman
  • Business Law, Insurance Claims, Medical Malpractice...
  • Pennsylvania
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&A

Native of the Lehigh Valley. Has been the President of Scoblionko, Scoblionko, Muir & Melman since 1975. Married to Deena since 1964; two children, three grandchildren. 2012 recipient of the Lifetime Service Award from Jewish Federation of the Lehigh Valley. Certified as "Civil Trial Advocate" by National Board of Trial Advocacy. Focuses on civil personal injury and commercial litigation, business and corporate law, real estate.

Practice Areas
  • Business Law
  • Insurance Claims
  • Medical Malpractice
  • Personal Injury
  • Products Liability
  • Health Care Law
  • Nursing Home Abuse
  • Construction Law
Additional Practice Area
  • Automobile Accidents
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    VISA, MasterCard
  • Contingent Fees
    (For personal injury matters)
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
3rd Circuit
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
U.S. Supreme Court
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Scoblionko, Scoblionko, Muir & Melman
- Current
University of Michigan - Ann Arbor
J.D. | Law
Honors: Graduated with Honors
Activities: Assistant Editor, University of Michigan Law Review; Research Assistant, Constitutional Law
University of Michigan - Ann Arbor Logo
Cornell University
B.A. | English
Cornell University Logo
Lifetime Service Award
Jewish Federation of the Lehigh Valley
Awarded upon retirement from the Board of the Jewish Federation
Professional Associations
Pennsylvania State Bar
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Lehigh County Bar Association
Placeholder image for professional associations.
American Bar Association
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Pennsylvania Association for Justice
Placeholder image for professional associations.
American Association for Justice
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Jewish Day School of the Lehigh Valley
- Current
Activities: Provide pro bono services, including financing, contracts, general litigation.
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Jewish Community Center of Allentown
- Current
Activities: Provide pro bono legal services in a variety of areas, including financing and real estate.
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Jewish Day School of Lehigh Valley Supporting foundation/Endowment
- Current
Activities: Provide endowment support for Jewish Day School of the Lehigh Valley
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Jewish Federation of the Lehigh Valley
Board Member/Vice President
Activities: Served as Vice President, Campaign Chair, and Co-Chair of Strategic Planning; Performed merger of Federations in Lehigh and Northampton Counties
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Articles & Publications
Michigan Law Review
Civil Trial Advocate
National Board of Trial Advocacy
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
399 Questions Answered

Q. My friend has been living with her boyfriend for 10 years. She wants to have him leave. His name is not on the mortgage
A: The Mortgage is mostly irrelevant. The question is whose name or names is/are on the deed. If his name is on the deed, he has every right to stay. She could buy him out, if they can agree on a price, and then ask him to leave. If his name is not on the deed, she can have him leave. If, however, he has been making payments on the mortgage in excess of fair market rental value, he may be entitled to be repaid some money.
Q. My fathers house is in his will, he has had a stroke and may have to sell his house. What does that mean for the will?
A: A lawyer would have to review the Will. Generally, if the bequest is specifically limited to the house, since the house would no longer be part of the estate, the bequest becomes meaningless. If, however, the bequest is meant to include the proceeds of sale (which would be unusual), the recipient gets the proceeds. As indicated, a lawyer must review the Will to accurately answer your question.
Q. The estate attorney I chose is doing little to move forward with settling the estate, its almost two years and <$75,000.
A: I am not sure what your question is. If you are dissatisfied, you can make an appointment with another lawyer for a second opinion.
Q. We live in Pa. My ex husband passed away. He had me named as his beneficiary on his life insurance policy.
A: If your facts are correct, you are the beneficiary.
Q. We recently purchased a new home. We asked our neighbors about installing a fence on the property line and ....
A: This, among other reasons, is why people should have lawyers when they buy houses. A competent lawyer would have asked the title company for copies of the restrictions, and you would have then known what they were. However, you may have a legitimate beef with your title company for not providing you with copies of the restrictions along with the title report. How about your fence company? Did they try to avoid getting a building permit before they started? They should have requested a building permit, unless fences are exempt,and, at that time, they would have been immediately stopped. Did you not ask them if they got a building permit? You need to engage a lawyer and sort all this out.
Q. My deceased husband inherited property in Green County, PA. I think I am the heir. Would I be liable for any debts?
A: If you are not on the deed, you would need to open an estate in order to dispose of the property, whether to you or anyone else. If there are debts, the debts are now obligations of the estate. They would need to be paid, irrespective of whether you are or are not personally responsible for them, before the property could be transferred. Thus, if you are not on the deed, unless you actually personally signed as a responsible party for the debts, you would not be personally responsible for the debts, but that is the wrong question! The point is that, before the land could be disposed of, debts of the estate would have to be paid. If there are no other assets in the estate to pay the debts, either you would have to pay them, if you want to keep the land, or the land would have to be sold and the proceeds first used to pay the debts. I agree that you need to consult a lawyer to get help with this.
Q. My name is the one on the mortgage but I had put my now ex-fiance on the deed. Now we're seperated but he won't leave
A: You need to consult a lawyer.
Q. My grandfather and I have jointly owned a property in PA for the last 2 year he just passed away will I owe taxes..
A: There will be a 4.5 % inheritance tax on the half that your father owned, and which passed to you. There will also be a capital gains income tax on the sale, which is measured on the gain over “basis.” “Basis” is, essentially, your cost of acquisition plus costs of documented improvements. With respect to the half that was your father’s, there is a “step-up” in basis because of the payment of inheritance tax. His half takes on the date of death value as its basis. If you sell the property for no more than the date of death value, there should be no capital gain assessed on your father’s half. You should consult an accountant or attorney for further advice.
Q. I was involved in an Auto accident on Friday, December 20, 2019 which was my fault. I didn't see a stop sign and went
A: There is no wage garnishment in Pennsylvania for this type of thing. Your insurance company should try to settle the entire case for the limits of your coverage in order to protect you. If they can't, they owe you a duty of defense and would have to hire a lawyer to defend you. The lawyer should then try to negotiate a deal with the other driver or his/her insurance company.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
2030 W. Tilghman St.
Suite 105
Allentown, PA 18104
Telephone: (610) 434-7138
Cell: (610) 657-7138
Fax: (610) 434-6020