Free Consultation: (248) 795-5516Tap to Call This Lawyer
Mark Bredow

Mark Bredow

Bredow Law PLC - Bankruptcy- Drivers Licenses - Wills/Trusts
  • Bankruptcy, Collections, Consumer Law...
  • Michigan
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial MediaResponsive Law

I have over 28 years experience in Michigan Law. Before I was an attorney, I was a Bank Auditor where I gained valuable insight into the world of debt. Attending law school, I had daily courtroom experience as a Court Clerk in Michigan’s Sixth Circuit Court. In 25 years as an attorney, I represent clients in trial and appeal courts in of the State of Michigan and in the Federal Courts, of Michigan, Ohio and Illinois, including the U.S. Court of Appeal in the Sixth Circuit. For over 18 years, I have practiced of the law of the collection of debt and in the defense against debt collection. I have extensive knowledge and experience in Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 bankruptcy law. I represent both debtor’s and creditors. I help people seeking protection from creditors in bankruptcy, and I represent large and small business, including banks, mortgage companies and mortgage servicers, credit card companies, landlords, condominium associations and homeowner associations, small business owners and many others, to ensure that they received the full share that they are entitled under bankruptcy law. I have also represented the government's interests maintaining fairness to all in the bankruptcy process, as part of the Chapter 13 Trustee's Program. Because I have represented virtually all sides in debt and bankruptcy cases, My firm, Bredow Law PLC, has a unique insight into the motivations of debtors, creditors and Bankruptcy Trustees. My experience and insight allows Bredow Law to prepare unique and insightful solutions you, whether your are an individual, small business owner, or company. Bredow Law also counsels small business, individuals and families in Small Business Formation, Creditor & Debtor Rights, Consumer Law, Elder Law, Probate & Estate Planning, Criminal & Traffic matters & Driver's License Restorations. Our broad experience and specialized skills allow us to give the highest quality and cost-effective representation.

Practice Areas
  • Bankruptcy
  • Collections
  • Consumer Law
  • Foreclosure Defense
  • Landlord Tenant
  • Probate
  • Traffic Tickets
  • Estate Planning
  • Free Consultation
    Free Telephone consultation.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
  • Contingent Fees
    Contigency fee options are available in certain Consumer Protection cases.
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    Low Fee Chapter 7 - $1,000.00 includes filing fee and credit report. Low Down Payments for Chapter 13 - Ask about our zero-down payment Chapter 13.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
6th Circuit
  • English: Spoken, Written
Wayne State University Law School
J.D. (1994) | Law
Central Michigan University
B.A. (1985) | Accounting
Dale Carnegie Institute: Award For Highest Achievement
Bredow Law PLC
Selected by peers as having completed the program with the highest achievement.
Professional Associations
Michigan State Bar # 49744
Speaking Engagements
Mortgage Issues for Borrowers, Creditors and Trustees, 23rd Annual Federal Bar Association, Western District Michigan, Bankruptcy Seminar, Boyne Falls, Michigan
Federal Bar Association of Michigan
Representing Clients in Chapter 13 Proceedings Pre-Confirmation, Bankruptcy Certificate Series: The Basics of Chapter 13 Bankruptcy, Plymouth, Michigan
Institute of Continuing Legal Education
The Only Cram-Down Left? Lien Stripping and Valuation, Detroit Consumer Bankruptcy Conference, Troy, Michigan
American Bankruptcy Institute
The Bankruptcy Reform Act One Year Later, AMC Mortgage Services Attorney Summit, Long Beach, California
AMC Mortgage Services
The Bankruptcy Reform Act, DS News Five-Star Conference Attorney Summit, Dallas, Texas
DS News
General Bankruptcy Education, Homecomings Financial Corporation Client Educational Seminar, San Diego, California
Homecomings Financial
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
40 Questions Answered

Q. I live in the State of MI. How should I plead for not stopping in time for a school bus? I was on the opposite side.
A: Call the Court and ask to set the matter for a "formal hearing". Go to the Secty of State and get a copy of your full driving record and take it with you to court. Sit with the City Attorney handling your case. Explain what happened, show her your good driving record and ask them to reduce the ticket to impeding traffic. You'll pay a fine, but the incident is not reported to the Secty of State and it has no points. You should consider taking an attorney with you. An attorney may know the City Attorney and may be able to get a deal. Its worth the price to have counsel with you.
Q. is social security counted as disposible income in a chapter 13 bankruptcy
A: Your question is very simple to ask, but very complicated to answer. The short answer is, you must include Social Security payments in your monthly budget on Schedule I. Your budgeted monthly living expenses will be deducted from your monthly income to determine how much your monthly plan payment will be. SS income is included in this calculation. However, for your plan to be approved by the Court, you may be required to pay a minimum total amount of payments over the full length of your plan. This minimum total amount is your "Projected Disposable Income" (PDI). The Court will calculate your minimum PDI amount if your household income is above the median income for a family of your size. If your household income is below the median income, you will not be required to make a minimum total payment amount. Social Security income is not included in determining your household income to determine if you are above median income or below median income. Either way, your Social Security check will not be ignored when determining what your final monthly plan payment will be.
Q. I have 4 traffic tickets from 4 years ago right before I went off for college. Now I have warrants what do I do?
A: Much depends upon what infractions are in those tickets. If they are only civil traffic matters, you have probably been defaulted and are responsible to pay them. However, some tickets are actually criminal misdemeanors which are punishable by fees, fines, costs, and depending upon the circumstances and your record, could include jail. Those will need to be addressed and a formal plea entered. You will need to contact the court, determine the actual charges, determine the maximum fines and penalties and find out the Court's procedure to address these If you admit responsibility and pay the civil tickets you can clear those. But if you wait, then the next time you are pulled over, you will be arrested and you'll have to post bail and your vehicle could be impounded. Your best bet is to retain an attorney to work with you. An attorney can contact the court, arrange for a time to address all cases, and talk to the city/prosecuting attorney and work out a negotiated settlement.
Q. I’m 16, Ilive in Michigan, I got pulled over for doing 70 in a 55 but only got a ticket for going 1-5 over.
A: Probably not, but you should definitely contact an attorney who handles traffic matters near you. Hire him/her to set this matter for a hearing and to appear with you at the hearing. If your record is otherwise clear, he/she may be able to resolve the case with no points and no record. It is worth the investment.
Q. My car was stolen in Michigan and I reported it the same day.
A: There is no statute which requires the police to notify you that quickly or that requires them to leave the vehicle where it is found, notify you, and wait for you to tow it. It could be in a dangerous place, on someone else's property, or pose a risk to traffic. They tow the vehicle to secure it from further loss, or to preserve it for evidence. Giving you notice within a day is a very good response time. You may wish to present the towing charge to your insurance carrier for payment. They should be happy to do so, since they don't have to pay to replace the whole car.
Q. Got arrested for driving without insurance, can I sell my car to pay the ticket before my court date?
A: It is not unlawful for you to sell your car. It is unlawful to operate it without having it insured or operating it without proof of insurance. If you had insurance at the time of the ticket, you may present the proof of insurance to the Court, who will, upon payment of an administrative fee will not report it to the state, so it will not appear on your driving record. This only works if you had insurance, but did not have the certificate with you.
Q. I received 2 tickets and a warning. I was not in the vehicle. I was at home sleeping. What do I do?
A: You did not mention the specific citations that were issued. However, most infractions, including defective equipment violations are issued to the driver, not the owner. It is an infraction to drive a vehicle that does not comply, not to own one. There are citations that can be issued to an owner based upon the owner's allowing another to drive. I recommend that you contact an attorney and request a formal hearing on the citations. You may also consider filing a FOIA request for a copy of the officer's vehicle mounted video or body cam, and if the delay and harassment are as your son says, and there isn't something else going on that he did not tell you, you may wish to bring the matter up to the officer's supervisor. Most police are professionals and would not approve of a 25 minute delay to coerce a search.
Q. My mother keeps receiving excessive collections calls and she doesn't speak English.
A: The other attorney's answers are absolutely clear and correct. Sending a written letter is the best ways to protect her and preserve any legal issues if you want to pursue legal actions against a collector. But, in the short term, to give her some way of fighting back, you may want record your voice on a voice recorder stating. "I cannot speak English, so I've recorded my response to you. I dispute this debt. Please send me verification that I owe this debt and the name of the original creditor, then please stop all communications with me regarding this debt. " Play it into the phone when they call. Then, follow up with a letter as the others recommended. To preserve your rights, you should send a letter within 30 days of the date of their first call. But, most collection agencies and creditors record all of their calls. And many will honor your dispute and request to terminate communications even if it is verbal. If she has many creditors and collector's calling, you should contact an attorney who handles debt defense and bankrutpcy. Most will give you a short consultation at little or no charge.
Q. Must I disclose prior bankruptcies to my partner before we get married?
A: I agree with the others. You are under no legal obligation to tell your partner about what you did to resolve a prior financial crisis. But if the root causes of the bankruptcy were due to your bad habits, bad choices or health issues, and if you still struggle with those issues, you would be better off telling your partner about those issues. First, it's the honest and open thing to do, and second, they will find out eventually, and if they cannot understand the issues you struggle with, and are unwilling or unable to forgive or accept, wouldn't you be better off knowing that about them? For example, you don't have to tell your partner about every failed relationship you've had, but if they failed because you have gambling, or fidelity issues, wouldn't be a good idea to share that with your partner?
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
Bredow Law PLC
41000 Woodward Avenue
Suite 350 East
Bloomfield Hills, MI 48304
Telephone: (248) 795-5516
Fax: (248) 856-4131