Free Consultation: (719) 548-4750Tap to Call This Lawyer
John Kenneth Joyner

John Kenneth Joyner

Attorney and Owner at Joyner Law
  • Family Law, Personal Injury, DUI & DWI...
  • Colorado
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

After serving honorably in the United States Marine Corps, John got his undergraduate degree from UC Berkeley. During law school, John spent two years working in private criminal defense as an intern and participated Denver Law Criminal Defense Clinic where he represented underprivileged defendants in criminal matters.

After law school, John worked as a Judicial Fellow for the Fourth Judicial District. He then accepted a position as a Deputy District Attorney with the 4th Judicial District Attorney's Office in El Paso County where he honed his trial skills. John worked for an insurance litigation firm in Denver before starting his own practice in Colorado Springs.

Practice Areas
  • Family Law
  • Personal Injury
  • DUI & DWI
  • Traffic Tickets
  • Criminal Law
  • Domestic Violence
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Colorado Supreme Court
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Joyner Law
- Current
Associate Attorney
Mckinney & Associates, PC
Associate Attorney
Furtado Law PC
Deputy District Attorney
4th Judicial District Attorney's Office
University of Denver
J.D. (2016)
Activities: Criminal Law Review- Senior Article Editor
University of Denver Logo
University of California - Berkeley
B.A. (2011)
University of California - Berkeley Logo
Professional Associations
State Bar of Colorado # 50005
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
21 Questions Answered

Q. If I was convicted owi in iowa and I’m being charged with dui Colorado. Is this a 2nd offense Dui.
A: Based on what you wlhave written here, you are likely facing a 2nd DUI or DWAI in Colorado. You should contact a private attorney or public defender to help you.
Q. Criminal mischief charges with domestic violence when I did no damage
A: Based solely on how you describe it here, and if there was no damage, then this sounds more like tampering than criminal mischief. However, tampering is still a crime and they can charge it as DV. Even a minor DV charge can have devastating effects on your life. You should hire an attorney or get the public defender to help you with this case.
Q. Is there jail time for 2nd degree burglary with a previous misdemeanor
A: Second degree burglary can be a class 3 or 4 felony. If you are charged with a class 4 felony, the possible time in the Department of Corrections is 2-6 years. If you are charged with a class 3 felony, the possible Department of Corrections time is 4-12 years.
Q. Recourse for roof damage repair/replacement on a "duplex", where the other owner apparently has no damage?
A: You may be better off just having your dad's neighbor go straight to an attorney who specializes in first-party property insurance bad faith claims. That lawyer can get a better idea of the facts of the case and point them in the right direction. Often bad faith insurance litigation firms will work on contingency and give you a free consultation, meaning no money changes hands unless they win your case. Good luck to you.
Q. I have a friend who is facing his 4th DUI offense. Any pro bono lawyer's in the Denver area that specialize in DUI aid?
A: Tell your friend they need to speak with the public defender's office immediately. If they cannot help, they can at least point him in the right direction for lower-priced attorneys.
Q. To the best of my knowledge, a company advised it's employee to commit an act of armed robbery. What are my options?
A: If you believe you are the victim of a crime, you should contact the police.
Q. If a police officer has to beak the law to obtain evidence, is that evidence permissible in court?
A: A judge will likely base the decision to allow or disallow evidence of what the officer was doing on whether or not the evidence is relevant to your guilt or innocence. Unless the officer's actions affected your failure to stop, then you will have a hard time showing relevance.
Q. In Colorado is a convicted felon able to legally own and/or possess a firearm?
A: A convicted felon is barred from owning firearms by federal law. There is supposed to be an appeals process, but the government has not funded it. Short of a pardon, you are out of luck.
Q. I got a “engaged in speed contest” ticket in colorado, what are my rights?
A: Driving over the speed limit can contribute to the officer citing you for a speed contest, but is not necessary. Speed contest is defined as follows: (b) For purposes of this section, “speed contest” means the operation of one or more motor vehicles to conduct a race or a time trial, including but not limited to rapid acceleration, exceeding reasonable and prudent speeds for highways and existing traffic conditions, vying for position, or performing one or more lane changes in an attempt to gain advantage over one or more of the other race participants. C.R.S. § 42-4-1105. Also, your ticket usually does not contain all of the information. Officers write their notes and/or narrative separately from the citation and hand it over to the prosecutor. Typically the only way to get that information is for you or your attorney to request discovery from the DA. On top of your criminal charges, you are looking at a 12-point violation and a predicate towards DMV adjudicating you as a "habitual traffic offender."
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
Joyner Law
121 S. Tejon St. #900
Colorado Springs, CO 80903
Telephone: (719) 548-4750
Fax: (719) 548-4744