Free Consultation: (303) 210-4204Tap to Call This Lawyer
Sabra M. Janko

Sabra M. Janko

Turning Change Into Opportunity
  • Arbitration & Mediation, Divorce, Family Law...
  • Colorado, New York
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ABronzeSocial Media

Sabra Janko, Esq. practices in the areas of divorce and family mediation, divorce and family law, military divorce and family mediation and law, protection orders for victims, and non-profit association legal services.

Prior to beginning her own practice, she provided civil legal services to veterans and military families at the nonprofit association Legal Services of the Hudson Valley to include family law and Chapter 7 bankruptcy in the Hudson River Valley area of New York. After relocating to Colorado, she started and managed the circa 2018 Colorado Bar Association Federal Pro Se Clinic assisting self-represented litigants with a variety of federal court civil litigation matters.

She is a former Army JAG attorney, originally enlisting with her first assignment at the Defense Language Institute in Monterey, California to attend Russian language training. Her last assignment was as a Professor at the United States Military Academy where she taught constitutional and criminal law.

While serving with the United States Army Judge Advocate General's Corps, she practiced in a variety of legal areas to include administrative, criminal and international law as well as legal services. She advised servicemembers, retirees and commanders on legal service matters to include family law and income tax; including running the Fort Bragg Income Tax Assistance Center. She was a paratrooper and a combat veteran serving in Iraq and Jordan during Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation New Dawn.

Practice Areas
  • Arbitration & Mediation
  • Divorce
  • Family Law
  • Military Law
  • Education Law
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
New York
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
University of Oklahoma
M.P.A. | (Public Administration)
The University of Maryland
University of Maryland School of Law
Activities: Maryland Journal of Healthcare Law and Policy American Bar Association Public Service Internship – Mental and Physical Disability Law Section Family Law Pro Se Clinical Program
The Judge Advocate General’s Legal Center and School
LL.M. (2009) | Military Law
Professional Associations
Colorado Women's Bar Association
Mediation Association of Colorado
Veteran’s Administration Accreditation
Admitted to the Court of Appeals of the Armed Forces Bar
Admitted to the United States Supreme Court Bar
Colorado Bar Association, Family Law and Military and Veteran’s Affairs Sections
Denver Bar Association
American Legion Post 206
Articles & Publications
Colorado's Federal Pro Se Clinic - First Steps
The Federal Lawyer
Colorado's Federal Pro Se Clinic - First Steps
Faculty of Federal Advocates
Colorado's New Federal Pro Se Clinic
Colorado Lawyer
Diagnostic Evidence Admissibility and the Multiple Personality Disorder Defense
Maryland Journal of Healthcare Law and Policy
Criminal Responsibility and Multiple Personality Defendants
American Bar Association Monograph
The Multiple Personality Disorder Defense
Maryland Journal of Contemporary Legal Issues
Speaking Engagements
Firsts: Achievements of Women in the Military, Seattle, WA
The Seattle Museum of Flight
Salute To Military Women - Successes and Challenges of Women in the Military, Denver, CO
The Colorado Bar Association Military and Veterans Law Section
The Fire - Successes and Challenges of Women in the Military, The Aurora History Museum
The Aurora History Museum
The Fire – Successes and Challenges of Our Nation’s Military Women, Lowry Chapel, Denver, CO
The Denver Public Library and the Lowry Foundation
Mares-Dixon through Colorado Bar Association
Websites & Blogs
Sabra M. Janko's Website Profile
JLaw LLC Website
Legal Answers
47 Questions Answered

Q. False numbers were turned in and my attorney didn’t show up. I was told not to show up.
A: Generally motions for child support are effective as of their filing date and are not retroactive. There is an exception for an agreed upon parenting time change. Child support is the right of the child so you will not receive an order that does not require you to support your children. You should consult with an attorney who can evaluate your case history.
Q. What protection does a person have of who can obtain a copy of a mental competency evaluation ordered by the court?
A: Generally mental exams are protected files in court cases so only parties to the action should be able to obtain them through the court process. Whether they can be obtained from the evaluator may depend on whether someone has been granted authority by a court to access the report. It would be important to know more facts surrounding the evaluation to provide a specific legal opinion.
Q. My wife and I took car of a 16 year Child for 12 months. Her parents gave no monetary support. The child moved out.
A: If you had no agreement to be compensated for supporting the child, there is no legal remedy that would automatically entitle you to support. However, it is always important to know the facts such as the circumstances of the care.
Q. Would I be able to sue the department of social services in alamosa county?
A: I am sorry to hear about your situation. Social services should tell you why they took your children. You can contact them to find out. If they were concerned for the children's safety and removed them for that reason, unless they did not have a sufficient basis for the determination a lawsuit would likely not be successful.
Q. I have a child who is 18 and had dropped out of school, and moved out on his own. He has since moved back and enrolled.
A: I agree with the last answer. Because the child is not emancipated, the support continues until he is 19. The parents can not agree to an action that is contrary to a court order with regards to support as support is the right of the child.
Q. My wife needs to change court orders placed when she got divorced regarding the kids but needs a forensic assessment
A: You should consult with an attorney who will need information about any prior court orders and will need to understand the context of the need for a forensic evaluation. This matter clearly has a history involving some form of safety issue. You could also consult with a therapist who might be able to assist in a referral. Colorado Legal Services can assist some with legal matters if income eligible.
Q. My baby mama took me son from me by assaulting me hitting me with a bat punching me telling her friend to get the gun
A: You should consult with an attorney and share more details. This does not sound like a good situation for a child to be in. Perhaps you should file for an allocation of parental responsibilities to work out with the mother or the court the best situation for the child.
Q. Am going through a divorce in Colorado, and been paying child support for the last year does she have to report it?
A: It sounds like you may be paying child support arrears. She would report the regular child support amount, however would not necessarily include arrears payments because that is not part of the regular child support amount.
Q. Can aunt or uncles file for emergency custody
A: It depends on the situation. Generally if you have been caring for the child for the past six months you may have some rights to file for custody. However, you should contact the Department of Human Services if the children are in danger.
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
Main Office
2373 Central Park Blvd
Denver, CO 80238
Telephone: (303) 210-4204
Denver Office
924 W 9th Ave
Denver, CO 80204
Telephone: (303) 210-4204