John ("Jack") Kennedy is an associate with the law firm of Cochran, Cherry, Givens, Smith & Montgomery. Jack's practice is focused exclusively on civil litigation at the trial and appellate levels. He received his Juris Doctor, cum laude, from IIT Chicago-Kent College of Law in 2012.
Prior to joining the firm, Jack served as an extern to the Honorable George W. Lindberg of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois.
While in law school, Jack was Notes and Comments editor of the Chicago-Kent Law Review and was a Senior Associate in the Chicago-Kent Moot Court Honor Society. In 2010, Jack won the Best Oral Advocate award in the highly-competitive preliminary rounds of the 35th Annual Robert F. Wagner National Labor and Employment Law Moot Court Competition in New York City, NY. In 2011, he and two teammates won the regional tournament of the prestigious National Moot Court Competition in Milwaukee, WI. In recognition of his contributions to the Chicago-Kent Moot Court Honor Society, Jack received the Edmund W. Burke Award for Excellence in Forensic Oratory in 2012.
Jack received a B.S. in Liberal Arts from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in 2009, where he studied French and Political Science. He graduated from Oak Park River Forest High School in 2004 after moving to Chicago from his hometown of Melbourne, Australia.
* Johnson v. City of Chicago (Ill. Cir. Ct., Cook Cnty. 2013): Jack and James D. Montgomery, Jr. secured a $8,500,000 jury verdict in favor of their client whose son was shot and killed by a Chicago police officer. The jury rejected the defendants' contention that the victim was pointing a gun at the officer at the time of the shooting.
* Harris v. E & R Towing & Garage, Inc. (Ill. Cir. Ct., Cook Cnty. 2013): Jack and James D. Montgomery, Jr. secured a $7,365,000 jury verdict in favor of their client whose husband was killed in an automobile collision on the Dan Ryan Expressway.
* Williams v. BNSF Railway Co., 2013 IL App (1st) 121901: Jack successfully obtained dismissal of BNSF Railway Company's appeal from a $1,338,480 judgment in favor of the firm's client who sustained a back injury at work.
- Appeals & Appellate
- Civil Rights
- Personal Injury
- Free Consultation
- Contingent Fees
- 5th Circuit
- Chicago-Kent College of Law, Illinois Institute of Technology
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association
- - Current