Free Consultation: (410) 465-8900Tap to Call This Lawyer
Jac E. Knust

Jac E. Knust

Bringing You Court-less Divorces and Mediated Settlements
  • Divorce, Domestic Violence, DUI & DWI...
  • Maryland
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial MediaResponsive Law

Jac E. Knust began his law practice in 1972 and practices primarily in the Central Maryland Metropolitan area. He has engaged in a general law practice for 46 years, with emphasis on family law, divorce, separation and property settlement agreements, elder law, estate planning, wills, probate, trusts, powers of attorney, health care advance directives, criminal matters, real estate, landlord/tenant, business planning, corporations, LLCs, and partnerships. He is a former Assistant State's Attorney for Howard County, a former Assistant Public Defender for Howard County. From 2014 to 2018 Jac E. Knust served as a Special Magistrate for the Circuit Court for Howard County, MD. His personal hobbies and interests include farming, restoring old structures and vehicles, off roading, beach activities, and reading. Jac E. Knust is a trained mediator and has mediated family law and civil disputes for the past 24 years. He emphasize out of court solutions to legal disputes. Jac E. Knust is trained in the collaborative law process, which uses coaches and financial professionals who help the parties reach an amicable non-adversarial solution to problems, with special sensitivity to the impact of divorce on children.

Practice Areas
  • Divorce
  • Domestic Violence
  • DUI & DWI
  • Elder Law
  • Estate Planning
  • Family Law
  • Probate
  • Agricultural Law
  • Free Consultation
    We offer a free 15 minute telephone consultation, except with the purchase of online forms where personal lawyer contact is not included.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Cash, Personal and Business Checks, Money Orders
  • Contingent Fees
    Accepted based upon type and complexity of case
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    Most accepted cases are done on an hourly basis with a retainer deposited against future legal work and costs. We also offer fixed fees on many cases once we have evaluated your legal matter.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Special Magistrate
Circuit Court for Howard County, MD
- Current
Special Magistrate for the Circuit Court of Howard County, MD
Assistant Public Defender
Public Defender's Office for Howard County
I defended all types of cases from misdemeanors involving assaults, domestic violence, theft, DUI/DWI, robbery, rape,manslaughter, and murder.
Assistant State's Attorney
Howard County State's Attorney's Office
I prosecuted all cases in the District Court of Maryland for Howard County.
Catonsville Community College
Certificate of Accounting | Accounting
Placeholder image for education.
University of Baltimore School of Law
J.D. | Law
Honors: Heuisler Honor Society
University of Baltimore School of Law Logo
University of Maryland Francis King Carey School of Law
Placeholder image for education.
Clemson University
B.S. | Industrial Management
Clemson University Logo
Friends School Athletic Hall of Fame
Friends School of Baltimore
Awarded to athletes who have accomplished outstanding performance
Heuisler Honor Society Recipient-1973
Heuisler Honor Society
Award for exceptional academic performance. I graduated 8th in a class of 274 law students
Rank of Eagle Scout
Boy Scouts of America
Professional Associations
Howard County Women's Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Collaborative Professionals of Baltimore
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Maryland Collaborative Practice Council
Board Member and former president
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Howard County Collaborative Professionals
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Howard County Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Maryland State Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Howard County Collaborative Professionals
Placeholder image for professional associations.
District of Columbia Bar
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Howard County Collaborative Professionals
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Speaking Engagements
Collaborative Professionals of Baltimore, Technology and Collaborative Practice, Baltimore, MD
Collaborative Professionals of Baltimore
Certified Mediator
Maryland Council for Dispute Resolution
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
7 Questions Answered

Q. I filed divorce from my husband. Im the breadwinner. He does work. Can I move out with my 3 yr old (same state).
A: Yes. However, the big question for you to answer is ” Is this the best thing for our son?” consider hiring a mediator to resolve all issues and avoid court delays, contentious feelings, an potentially high lawyer fees.
Q. I want to file for divorce in MD but I don’t have my husband’s address, do I need it when I file?
A: There is some reason that you believe he is a Maryland resident. You could use his work address his last name and home address etc. but you should indicate some address on your pleadings because you need to convince the court that he is a Maryland resident. You may not be absolutely certain of the address but you should indicate some address in Maryland so that the court knows he has ties to Maryland and is either doing business in Maryland or a Maryland resident so that the court has jurisdiction over your case.
Q. I am in MD and my husband left, moved to SC. Just found out he married a woman there. We are NOT legally divorced.
A: His new marriage does not terminate your marriage to him. I am not licensed to practice in South Carolina but I would be willing to bet that bigamy is a crime in South Carolina as it is in Maryland. Your husband has potentially violated the criminal laws of the state of South Carolina and perhaps another state if he was married elsewhere. I suppose you don’t know where he married this new woman. Your marriage and your rights are not terminated in any way.
Q. Hello. How do I know if my divorce is filed?
A: Except for the larger population jurisdictions, e.g. Montgomery County, PG County, and Baltimore City all filing is now required to be done electronically by lawyers. Clerks review papers for correctness per MD Rules before accepting them for filing, but almost all cases files by lawyers using the old paper system (see above jurisdictions) are done correctly and readily accepted by the Clerk within a few days of filing. Case loads vary by jurisdiction, staffing, weather, etc. Judges rarely look at any newly filed case for the purposes of reviewing it for whether it complies with the Rules for filing a new case. Try checking website at MD Judiciary Case Search (you may have done that already). It is usually pretty current in reflecting what has been filed. BTW, a lawyer can only ethically represent one of the two divorcing parties. Case numbers are assigned to cases by the Clerk as soon as they are filed so that can be readily tracked. Sounds like you need to ask "your?" lawyer more questions.
Q. Married 18 years wife makes more that me I have a life insurance and 401. Will I lose this in a divorce
A: Life insurance generally comes in two different forms. Number one: term inurance has no cash value -often times an employer provides thisas a benefit to employees. You can name anybody you want as a beneficiary and it does not have to be your wife generally speaking. Another type of insurance is whole life insurance which typically has a cash value. If this was purchased during the marriage then the cash value of the insurance is marital property which is subject to a marital award. You may or may not be able to change the beneficiary of the insurance now depending on the terms of the policy. Your 401 k is typically marital property as well. Assuming all of this was earned during the marriage all of it is marital property subject to a marital award issued by the court. Generally speaking when parties negotiate a separation agreement they contemplate splitting the marital property of all of the parties on a 50-50 basis. It doesn’t have to be done this way and this is a point of negotiation.
Q. Can one spouse unilaterally establish a trust fund for their child so that the other spouse has no access to the money?
A: Yes, If you are able to show that the removal of money that could be deemed marital and placing it into a trust for the purpose of avoiding consideration as marital property. The process or act of removing marital assets and placing them in a trust or with a third-party for the purpose of avoiding consideration of them as marital property is called dissipation of assets.It is necessary to show intent on behalf of the spouse and that the intent is to deprive you of your marital interest in the property .
Q. I Separated 2 yrs ago: my lawyer retired, his died. Legal separation filed in court. How do we divorce w/out lawyers?
A: Started to answer this question without more information, but it may be as simple as just requesting a hearing date from the clerk of the court and presenting testimony to support the basis of the allegations in the complaint that you filed. You should call the clerk of the court and find out the status of the case and ask them what is necessary for you to advance your case to hearing to present testimony for divorce
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
The Collaborative Law Group
5513 Twin Knolls Road
Suite 220
Columbia, MD 21045
Telephone: (410) 465-8900