Free Consultation: (703) 395-8351Tap to Call This Lawyer
Elizabeth Crego

Elizabeth Crego

The Law Office of Elizabeth M. Crego
  • Landlord Tenant, Collections
  • Virginia
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

Located in the Del Ray neighborhood of Alexandria, The Law Office of Elizabeth M. Crego is a small practice geared towards giving personal, affordable legal counsel in both English and Spanish to people in Northern Virginia. Ms. Crego advises on landlord/ tenant, creditor/ debtor, and homeowners association (HOA)/ condominium law matters.

Prior to opening her solo law practice, Ms. Crego volunteered as a pro bono attorney with the Legal Aid Justice Center and Legal Services of Northern Virginia (and she continues to assist in pro bono matters for these organizations), assisting with bankruptcy, housing, and family law matters. From 2011 to 2014, Ms. Crego lived in Mexico City and assisted a Mexican law firm with the editing and translating English language legal documents and advising on US legal concepts. She worked with a boutique homeowners association law firm from 2007 through 2010, representing clients in debt collection, general litigation, and in filing bankruptcy claims. While studying law at George Mason University School of Law in Arlington, VA, she worked at the Commonwealth Attorney’s Office in Alexandria, assisting the attorneys with the arraignment and traffic dockets, researching criminal records, and in preparing briefs for appeals. Outside of the legal profession, she also has experience working as a government contractor in Washington DC.

Ms. Crego is a native of Northern Virginia and enjoys living in Alexandria with her husband and three young children.

Practice Areas
  • Landlord Tenant
  • Collections
  • Free Consultation
    I provide a free 20-minute phone consultation.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
  • Spanish: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
The Law Office of Elizabeth M. Crego
- Current
English Language Legal Consultant
Sanchez Devanny
Associate Attorney
Segan Mason & Mason
Chief Law Clerk
Alexandria City Commonwealth's Attorney
George Mason University School of Law
J.D. (2007)
Placeholder image for education.
Brigham Young University
B.A. (2001) | English
Honors: Cum Laude
Brigham Young University Logo
Professional Associations
Virginia State Bar  # 74797
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Del Ray Business Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Alexandria Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
J. Reuban Clark Law Society
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Fairfax Bar Association
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Websites & Blogs
The Law Office of Elizabeth M. Crego
Legal Answers
13 Questions Answered

Q. I have water damage in my condo that is our associations responsibility to fix. Can I sue them to complete the work?
A: You may be able to bring legal action against the Condominium Association if they fail to take responsibility for something that is their responsibility. However, determining what is the CA's responsibility and what they should do is complicated and requires both a knowledgeable review of the Condominium documents and an understanding of commonly acceptable repairs -- just because a water issue originated in common area does not necessarily mean that they have to take the action you think is necessary in this case. I recommend reaching out to an attorney with experience in Condominium law for a detailed review.
Q. Can I break my lease due to unhealthy conditions?
A: You may be able to force the apartment complex to let you out of your lease, depending on how bad the situation is and how definitively the apartment has prohibited smoking. You may have a harder time proving that the situation exists and is dangerous to your health than you think. The process for breaking the lease "penalty free" can also be difficult, often requiring the filing of a lawsuit, accrual of attorneys fees (which you may not recover fully), and months of waiting and negotiating. I recommend determining whether the hassle of going through that process is worth not paying the penalty they likely offer to get out immediately and calling an attorney to discuss further.
Q. Can the developer institute an HOA fee without having an HOA? He owns 2/3's of the development.
A: A planned unit development is usually regulated by a Master Deed or Declaration, which would show whether there is an HOA attached to the development, whether assessments can be charged, and how the amount of assessments is determined. You would need to look at that information, which is recorded in the county land records, to get the answer to your questions, and it may be useful to engage an attorney in your area to help you understand it.
View More Answers
Contact & Map
The Law Office of Elizabeth M. Crego
2210 Mount Vernon Ave. #110
Alexandria, VA 22301
Telephone: (703) 395-8351