Free Consultation: (248) 641-7070Tap to Call This Lawyer
Don L Rosenberg

Don L Rosenberg

Barron, Rosenberg, Mayoras & Mayoras
  • Elder Law, Estate Planning, Probate
  • Michigan
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

I have been practicing for thirty-seve years. My practice is limited to specializing in issues concerning disability, estate, probate, long term care, nursing home, Veterans, Medicaid and special needs planning. I am the immediate past President/Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Alzheimer’s Association - Greater Michigan Chapter (after having served for the last 6 years) and member of the Association's executive committee and an Assembly Delegate to Alzheimer’s Association – National Chapter, Chicago, Illinois. I am also a Member of National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys and have been listed since 1991 in the Academy's Experience Registry. Further, I am a past Chair of the Governing Council of the Elder Law and Disability Rights Section of the State Bar of Michigan. I am also a Charter Member of the Academy of Special Needs Planners and Member of the Financial and Estate Planning Council of Metropolitan Detroit. I have been recognized as a "Superlawyer" for 2016 and every year since 2009, which designates that I am one of the top lawyers in my field. I am also an accredited attorney with the US Department of Veterans. I have also been selected in 2014 by Hour Detroit and Dbusiness Magazines as a 5 Star Wealth Manager in the area of estate planning and received the same award 2010 -2017. Finally, I have been rated by AVVO ( as Superb (10 out of 10). Avvo is a company that independently rates attorneys throughout the country.

Practice Areas
    Elder Law
    Estate Planning
    Guardianship & Conservatorship Estate Administration, Health Care Directives, Trusts, Wills
    Probate Administration, Probate Litigation, Will Contests
Additional Practice Area
  • Special Needs Planning
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
  • Contingent Fees
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Principal Partner
Barron, Rosenberg, Mayoras & Mayoras
Michigan State University
J.D | Juris Doctor
Michigan State University Logo
Professional Associations
Michigan State Bar  # 31188
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
8 Questions Answered
Q. My minor children are due to receive life insurance from my ex husband. What do I need to file in the state of Michigan
A: If the proceeds of the life insurance is over $5,000 then the law requires a minors money to be managed through the probate court conservator process. You would have to appointed by the probate court as your children's conservator. You will have to account to the court how much you start with and provide an annual account every year. Depending on what county you may also have to file a bond or restrict the account. Don L. Rosenberg Attorney and Counselor | 1301 W. Long Lake Road, Suite 340 Troy, MI 48098 P: 248.641.7070 F: 248.641.7073 Shareholder of law firm recognized as Best Law Firms by U.S. News and World Report Named as part of the registry of the Best Lawyers in America by U.S. News and World Report Recognized by National Association of Distinguished Counsel – Nation’s Top One Percent, 2016 - 2021 Recognized by New York Times – Top Attorneys in Michigan (2009-2021) Rated by Super Lawyers – State of Michigan (2009-2021) Named Five Star Wealth Manager – Estate Planning by Hour Detroit and dbusiness (2009-2021) Former Chair of the Elderlaw and Disability Rights Section of the State Bar of Michigan Former Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Alzheimer’s
Q. My uncle passed away and my dad is the only immediate relative left. What happens with his property now?
A: If the assets/property is in your uncle's individual name the only way to obtain access is through a probate administration. If your uncle has a will then it is a road map for his estate. If not then there is a process. if there is family harmony it is an informal process. I can explain in greater detail and offer a free consultation. Don Rosenberg
Q. Our mother had a living trust. can we hire an atty or other to settle the trust? Value: just under $1m incl $125k in RE
A: You clearly can hire an attorney to assist you with the trust administration. Just make sure you hire someone with extensive experience in trust administration. We specialize in this area and have clients all over the state and country. The trustee's responsibility is to collect, marshal, preserve and distribute the assets according to the terms of the trust. The trustee also has the responsibility to keep all qualified beneficiaries informed. Here is a brief checklist. There is a specific process in administering a trust that must be followed. Some of the issues that need to be addressed are: 1. Prepare a List of Assets / Inventory 2. Open Trust Account 3. Liquidate, Consolidate or Transfer 4. Prepare a List of Creditors 5. Obtain a Federal Tax Identification Number 6. Notice to the Beneficiaries pursuant a specific statute with copy of documents. 7. Prepare an Accounting 8. Prepare Income Tax Returns 9. Distributions with appropriate releases and protection for the trustee. If you have any questions or if we can help, please feel free to reach out to me Don Rosenberg rosedr@brmmlaw,com
View More Answers
Contact & Map
1301 W Long Lake Rd
Ste 340
Troy, MI 48098
Telephone: (248) 641-7070
Fax: (248) 641-7073