Free Consultation: (310) 804-8446Tap to Call This Lawyer
Chris M. Bradford

Chris M. Bradford

If You Live Anywhere in California I Can Help You by Phone or Zoom
  • Family Law, Estate Planning, Divorce ...
  • California
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&A

I believe that you, the client, first need to UNDERSTAND all your options. My first job is to educate you so you can make your own informed intelligent decisions. My law practice is based on this fundamental principle.

Practice Areas
  • Family Law
  • Estate Planning
  • Divorce
  • Domestic Violence
  • Probate
Additional Practice Areas
  • Child Support
  • Child Custody and Visitation
  • Free Consultation
    No charge for first interview on the phone or Zoom up to 60 minutes max. After that it is $50 for each 30 minutes, payable in advance.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    I accept credit cards through Pay Pal. You do not need a Pay Pal account. I send you the Pay Pal link and you put in your credit card. I never see your credit card information. You can also pay on Venmo, $CashApp and Zelle.
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    For consultation only (which means no representation in court and no document preparation) my fee is $100 per hour on the phone or Zoom, $50 for 30 minutes, payable in advance. I also prepare documents in both estate planning and in family law. Fees vary according to the document. I also represent family law clients under Limited Scope for a fixed fee.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English
Professional Experience
Sole Practitioner
Law Office of Chris M. Bradford
- Current
Antioch Coll
Undergraduate Degree
Placeholder image for education.
Univ of North Dakota School of Law
Law Degree
Placeholder image for education.
Professional Associations
State Bar of California. State Bar #102561
Placeholder image for professional associations.
California State Bar  # 102561
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Articles & Publications
Speaking Engagements
Legal Answers
61 Questions Answered

Q. good morning I really need help with my court for my child's guardianship. I'm not sure what to do.
A: It sounds like you may be in the Juvenile Dependency Court. If you are, you have been appointed an attorney. First you should ask your attorney your questions. Sometimes these court appointed attorneys are very busy, but that is the first place you should go. Be sure to read the court order. Get a copy. Does it really say you can only see your child two times per month, or does it leave it up to the grandmother's husband to make that decision? Or are they making it up as they go? The precise wording of the court order is important. If the court has ordered a guardianship, but the guardian is not following the court orders, you should let your court-appointed attorney know. You can ask the judge to clarify the order, or change it. This does not mean the judge will change the order, but first you have to ask. It doesn't matter whether a person has relatives in CPS or not. What matters is exactly what the judge in YOUR case has ordered. If you are not in the Juvenile Dependency Court, then you are probably in the Guardianship Court in the probate division of the Superior Court There you don't have a right to a court-appointed attorney. However if the orders there are not working, you need to file a petition in that court to ask for a change.
Q. In regards to dcfs. Please contact me. I want to give my rights to my mom they are not being fair
A: It is possible that DCFS has already taken away your child and you have been sent to the Juvenile Dependency Court. If that is the case, you will be given an attorney in that court. The judge will make certain orders for classes for you to take. You must follow those orders. You cannot go to court in any other case related to your child (see below) while you are still in the Juvenile Dependency Court. Assuming you are not in the Juvenile Dependency Court, "Giving your rights" to your mother would be either a guardianship or an adoption. In an adoption, you are not longer the mother, and your mother becomes the legal mother of your child. This is a severe action and is not usually recommended. A guardianship is less severe. In a guardianship, you remain the mother of the child but the guardian (your mother) acts like a parent to the child instead of you. The judge in the guardianship gives your mother the power to take care of the child, enroll the child in school. made decisions about medical care, and all the other normal things a mother does for a child. A guardianship can be cancelled in the future, but an adoption is permanent. First, this may seem obvious, but you need to ask your mother if she really wants to be a guardian. If she says yes, then you and your mother need to go together to see a family law attorney who handles guardianships. When you call the office to make an appointment, be sure to ask if the attorney handles guardianships. Not all family law attorneys handle guardianships. You must bring the DCFS report with you when you speak to the attorney. You won't know if you can afford an attorney until you talk to one. If you feel you and your mother cannot afford an attorney for a guardianship you should consider going to the Self-help Center at your courthouse. But again, if you are in the Juvenile Dependency Court, you can ask the judge to appoint your mother there as a Guardian for your child. Read this article about guardianship from the California Courts: Don't give up.
Q. I asked before about a domestic partnership and civil union in California. I was gone for 6 months to care for my dad.
A: Are you asking what are your legal rights in a domestic partnership, or are you trying to figure out if you want to stay with your domestic partner? Read your domestic partnership agreement again. This is the starting point for your rights. If you want to end the domestic partnership, you file a petition in the Superior Court. It is on form FL-100.
View More Answers
Contact & Map
Law Office of Chris M. Bradford
1112 Montana Ave #203
Mailing Address Only
Santa Monica, CA 90403
Cell: (310) 804-8446
Fax: (424) 217-5064
Monday: 9 AM - 6 PM
Tuesday: 9 AM - 6 PM (Today)
Wednesday: 9 AM - 6 PM
Thursday: 9 AM - 6 PM
Friday: 9 AM - 6 PM
Saturday: Closed
Sunday: Closed
Notice: If no-one answers, please leave a message. You can also email me at In your message or email explain that you saw me on Justia.