Free Consultation: (505) 323-5800Tap to Call This Lawyer
Arun Arjan Melwani

Arun Arjan Melwani

Free Case Evaluation - Legally Get Out of Debt - Ch. 7/13
  • Bankruptcy, Personal Injury
  • New Mexico
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

Melwani Law makes your life better by eliminating your debt; your stress, and your anxiety so that you may enjoy life again. Our knowledge of the bankruptcy laws combined with exceptional customer service allows you to stop foreclosure; repossessions; garnishments; and creditor harassment among other things. Call us for a free and no obligation consultation at 505-323-5800.

Arun Melwani is the founder of Melwani Law, P.C. He decided to devote his practice to serving the needs of individuals and families in debt crisis after learning early on that these individuals lacked competent and affordable representation.

While in law school, he served as Administrative Editor of the Natural Resources Journal. Additionally, he interned for a federal bankruptcy judge in the District of New Mexico and worked as an attorney for a local bankruptcy trustee and at a large consumer bankruptcy firm prior to opening his own practice in late 2004. He is a member of the National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys (NACBA) and is a graduate of the “Max Gardner Bankruptcy Boot Camp,” an intensive training for attorneys who focus on consumer bankruptcy and consumer bankruptcy litigation.

Mr. Melwani has filed proceedings under Chapter 7, Chapter 11, and Chapter 13 of the bankruptcy code. He is admitted to practice in all Courts throughout the state of New Mexico. Melwani Law, P.C. attorneys have successfully represented thousands of individuals throughout the state of New Mexico in obtaining debt relief. Mr. Melwani is very knowledgeable in the areas of consumer bankruptcy. Contact him today and he can help you regain financial control and make a fresh star

For all your bankruptcy needs, Call Attorney Melwani - (866) 801-5800

Practice Areas
  • Bankruptcy
  • Personal Injury
  • Free Consultation
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
New Mexico
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
UpRight Law
- Current
Melwani Law, P.C.
- Current
Yvette J. Gonzalez LLC, Chapter 7 Trustee
Judge McFeeley, US Bankruptcy Court Dist. of NM
University of New Mexico
J.D. (2002)
University of New Mexico Logo
Successful Completion in the Bankruptcy Litigation Model
Max Gardner Bankruptcy Boot Camp
Professional Associations
New Mexico State Bar
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
New Mexico Bankruptcy Bar
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Articles & Publications
Bankruptcy Glossary
United States Courts
Overview of Bankruptcy
Cornell Law School
Bankruptcy Basics
State Bar of New Mexico
Speaking Engagements
Attorney Presenter, Consumer Debt Workshop, State Bar of New Mexico
State Bar of New Mexico
Arun Melwani participates monthly in the State Bar Consumer Debt workshop. He makes presentations at the workshop at least two times during the year and free consultations for low income individuals on a monthly basis.
Training Certificate in Mediation
University of New Mexico School of Law
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
14 Questions Answered

Q. Need a bankruptcy attorney but I’m on social security any low income help?
A: Hello. If you only have social security income and your assets are exempt under the new mexico state exemption laws you may not even need to file bankruptcy. Your social security income may not be garnished by creditor and if your assets are exempt those cannot be taken either. Your creditors may be able so sue you but they are not able to collect money or assets from you. To be sure about your situation, its always best to consult with a bankruptcy attorney and most bankruptcy attorneys do not charge for the initial consultation. I hope this helps you.
Q. My father is a cosigner on my car. If I file chapter 7 will it effect him? I want to keep the car. Payments are current.
A: If you plan to keep the car and continue making payments, then your father will not be affected by you filing bankruptcy. However, if you fail to make the payments and they eventually repossess the vehicle then that will negatively impact him since he is equally liable for the debt you have incurred.
Q. If a company won a judgement but they never made contact, can I just ignore?
A: No. Winning the judgement is just the first step for the company. After winning the judgement they have to collect on the debt. They will usually ask the court for an order from the judge that will allow them to take money from your bank account or from your wages. They also could file the judgement with the county clerk and the judgement will turn into a lien against any real property that you may own or acquire in the future. You should call an attorney right away to address your situation.
Q. I unexpectedly inherited a large sum of cash and want to buy out the remaining balance on my home.
A: Yes. Just request a reinstatement amount if you wish to catchup what you are behind or a payoff amount if you want to pay off the full amount.
Q. If you have a lawsuit pending or a judgement has been made, would chapter 7 bankruptcy stop any further actions?
A: Yes. It will not only stop further lawsuits against you, but it will stop the pending lawsuit and the collection of any judgements that have been entered against you. In fact, if you have already been garnished, then that money that was taken in the 90 days before filing may be recovered as well. If you are facing these problems, then you should contact a bankruptcy attorney right away.
Q. If I go into bankruptcy, does that stay a foreclosure?
A: Yes, but the stay will only last the during the bankruptcy proceeding and the creditor may ask that the Court to terminate the stay. The judge in the bankruptcy case will make that determination based on the type of bankruptcy you filed and the circumstances involved. Usually, a judge will grant relief or modification of the stay if the creditor can show that there is not adequate protection or the debtor does not have equity in the property (usually meaning that the collateral, a house in this case, is worth less than what is owed on the debt); and that such property is not needed for an effective reorganization. If you are facing foreclosure, I suggest you consult with an attorney right away to determine what options you may have.
Q. I just received notice that my wages are going to be garnished for a loan my ex-husband applied for after we were
A: New Mexico is a community property state and either spouse can enter into a debt and make the other spouse liable. If you got a divorce that would end the community property and thus a debt incurred after the divorce you should not be liable. I would seek out an attorney and try to quash the writ of garnishment.
Q. I see that New Mexico's bankruptcy exemptions are different than the federal ones. Can I pick and choose from both lists
A: No. New Mexico allows you to use either the Federal bankruptcy exemptions or the New Mexico State exemptions but you cannot mix and match the exemptions.
Q. Can a medical company send me a bill through collection agency more than 4 years (and 3months) passed the service date?
A: Yes. The medical company could be using a collection company to go after you or they collection company may have purchased the debt from the original creditor. Either way, they are entitled to pursue you for the debt owed. The statute of limitations in New Mexico for collection of the debt is 4 years on an open account and 6 years on a contracted debt. A medical service and the bill related to it is usually a contracted service and thus the statute of limitations is 6 years. However, a creditor/collection company can come after you and/or sue you to recover the fee for the services owed even if it is beyond the statute of limitations. It is up to the individual being sued to raise the "Statute of Limitations" as a defense in their answer to the complaint. The failure of the individual to raise that defense may constitute a waiver of the defense if not raised. If you have other debt and or you are being sued by this creditor, you should contact an attorney for further legal advice.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
10749 Prospect Ave. NE, Ste. F
Albuquerque, NM 87112
Telephone: (505) 323-5800