Free Consultation: (610) 376-5250Tap to Call This Lawyer
Andrea E. Mertz

Andrea E. Mertz

  • DUI & DWI, Criminal Law, Traffic Tickets
  • Maryland, Pennsylvania
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&A

Andrea E. Mertz is an attorney with Polyak Law Office, P.C. Ms. Mertz's practice focuses on defending vigorously the rights of the criminally accused. She has 18 years of experience in representing individuals at the pretrial and trial levels of adjudication. She has a background of helping individuals overcome significant challenges and obstacles in their lives. Ms. Mertz received her Juris Doctor from American University in Washington, D.C. in 1996, and her Bachelors of Arts from Purdue University. She is a member of the state bars of Pennsylvania and Maryland and the federal bar of the United States District Court for Eastern District of Pennsylvania. Ms. Mertz has been selected by The National Trial Lawyers as a Top 100 Lawyer.

Ms. Mertz knows those she represents want to stay free from jail, vigorously fight their cases and get the best results through an aggressive defense and targeted investigation. Ms. Mertz offers that and invites anyone accused of a crime or DUI to call and arrange a free consultation with her at 610-376-5250.

Practice Areas
  • DUI & DWI
  • Criminal Law
  • Traffic Tickets
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
US Dist Court for E.D of Pennsylvania
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Waldman Law Group, P.C.
Represented individuals in all areas of DUI, criminal defense and civil litigation disputes.
Assistant Public Defender
Berks County Public Defender's Office
Represented clients facing felony and misdemeanor offenses including DUI, theft, assault, and murder in all stages of prosecution.
American University Washington College of Law
J.D. | Law
American University Washington College of Law Logo
Purdue University - Purdue University
B.A. (1991) | Political Science
Honors: Phi Beta Kappa 1991 Purdue Scholar Athlete of the Year
Activities: Field Hockey, Division I, Full Athletic Scholarship
Purdue University - Purdue University Logo
The National Trial Lawyers Top 100
The National Trial Lawyers
Professional Associations
Pennsylvania Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
Director - Foundation for Justice
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
9 Questions Answered

Q. I wanna kno if u have a no grade felony does it drop to a misdemeanor and if so how long does it take?
A: Ungraded felonies (rare) would not be reduced to misdemeanors except in certain cases with very specific facts and the District Attorney's consent. Usually, a defendant if guilty would argue for a plea that is less than the felony charge. Otherwise, if innocent, take it to trial and get acquitted on the felonies. I really cannot answer further with the limited facts you supplied. Consult a local attorney.
Q. taking money from a.self checkout can I be charged criminally
A: Yes. The charge is theft.
Q. What are the chances of getting a charge of Int poss contr substance by per not reg dismissed or reduced?
A: It would depend on the facts of the case. I cannot answer with the limited facts provided. In general, the DA's office usually pursues the possession charges, though. However, there could be suppression issues that an experienced attorney could find to suppress the controlled substances which would lead to a dismissal of the charges. The bigger problem for this person could be the probation violation detainer and re-sentence if he is found guilty or pleads to this new offense. This person definitely needs a attorney for representation. Some attorneys, like me, offer free consultations. Good luck to you both.
Q. I'm in Pennsylvania and 18y/o m. A 16 year old m didn't pay back my 200 dollars.
A: Think this through. If you fight him, you could be accused of the criminal offense, simple assault. You will be prosecuted and could serve a lengthy term of probation or jail and substantial fines. In terms of suing him in civil court to recover the $200 on the basis of breach of contract, you unfortunately do not have a contract to enforce with the 16 year-old. By law, 16 year-old minors are incompetent to form a contract, so you cannot sue for breach of contract. Again think of the ramifications before you act.
Q. Will you get jail time for a second degree misdemeanor? Charge was for taking $100 from work after a customer left it.
A: Assuming you have no prior record of convictions, you will get probation. The maximum sentence you face is 1 to 2 years incarceration. However, that maximum usually is ordered for repeat convicts who have multiple convictions. Hire an attorney and inquire as to whether your county has a first time offender program or ARD. Good Luck!
Q. What’s the minimum charge for a second degree misdemeanor in PA?
A: Assuming you have no prior record of convictions, probation is the standard order you will receive. The maximum sentence you face is 1 to 2 years incarceration. However, that maximum usually is ordered for repeat convicts who have multiple convictions.
Q. Can I be charged with Home Improvement Fraud when work is 50% complete and there is no completion date in the contract?
A: You may be charged. However, you have some defenses that you and your attorney should be able to use. Contact an attorney immediately upon being charged to discuss how to proceed.
Q. Can a person who pressed charges on you show up to your court date if they have went to drug rehab
A: If the matter is at the preliminary hearing stage, the person does not have to be there and the officer can testify to the statement the person made to the officer even though that would not be admissible in other courts as it is heresay. So at the preliminary hearing, it is not an issue whether the person shows or not, If it is in the Court of Common Pleas and it is scheduled for trial or pretrial hearings, which is the only other times the person would need to appear in court, then the Commonwealth would request a continuance and would most likely be granted a continuance until the person is available to testify. If the rehabilitation center is close, the rehabilitation center may make arrangements to transport the person to the court.
Q. how to get a case overturn by a judge?
A: Your question needs more facts to answer with accuracy. If a judge has ruled in the matter at the Common Pleas County level, then you have to appeal to the Superior Court within 30 days of the decision. If the decision was a decision by a local magisterial district judge, you have 30 days from the decision to appeal to the County Court of Common Pleas by filing an appeal with the Clerk of Courts. You would be best advised to consult confidentially with an attorney before you seek to do this on your own as there are strict rules you must follow. Good Luck!
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
Polyak Law Office
645 Penn Street
Suite 500
Reading, PA 19601
Telephone: (610) 376-5250
Fax: (610) 376-5255