Cary B. Hall

Cary B. Hall

Law Offices of Cary B. Hall, L.L.C.
  • Criminal Law, Family Law, Divorce...
  • Pennsylvania
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

My practice focuses on civil, criminal and family law litigation with over 20 years of tested experience throughout southeastern Pennsylvania and Maryland. I have successfully tried civil and criminal jury trials, contested family law hearings, administrative proceedings and appeals. My passion is assisting individuals and small businesses with their legal issues.

Many moons ago, I earned an Ivy League degree in philosophy from Columbia University, and then my law degree from the University of Miami. While in law school, I was involved in graduate student government and was a contributing author and editor of the University of Miami Business Law Journal.

I began my legal career as a judicial law clerk in Towson, Maryland, and first established my own law practice there at the age of 26. I moved to Pennsylvania in 2000, and revived my solo practice after working for a few years with local law firms. These early efforts were rewarded by being named a “Pennsylvania Super Lawyer – Rising Star” in 2005 and 2006 by the publishers of Philadelphia magazine. Since then, and based upon my law firm experiences, I have found that I can best serve my clients one-on-one as a solo attorney.

I also serve as an arbitrator in civil court cases, and have been court-appointed as defense counsel in state criminal prosecutions. In addition to my solo law practice, I additionally serve as a Special Assistant Public Defender in Magisterial District Courts throughout Montgomery County. I’m a contributing author (and have even been editor-in-chief) to the Montgomery Bar Association’s Civil Practice Manual, the definitive legal manual for practicing law in Montgomery County.

Currently, I am privileged to be a trusted advisor and knight-in-shining-armor to satisfied clients throughout the country. I pride myself on providing personalized and affordable legal service to my clients and I even return phone calls, something that doesn’t always happen with larger law firms.

Practice Areas
  • Criminal Law
  • Family Law
  • Divorce
  • DUI & DWI
  • Real Estate Law
  • Business Law
  • Appeals & Appellate
  • Collections
  • Construction Law
  • Domestic Violence
  • Estate Planning
  • Foreclosure Defense
  • Juvenile Law
  • Landlord Tenant
  • Personal Injury
  • Traffic Tickets
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
  • Contingent Fees
    Personal injury or other tort claims only.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Solo Attorney and Knight-in-Shining Armor
Law Offices of Cary B. Hall, L.L.C.
- Current
Law Firms in Towson, MD and King of Prussia, PA
Judicial Law Clerk
Baltimore County Circuit Court
Clerk for the Honorable Lawrence R. Daniels
University of Miami School of Law
J.D. (1995) | Law
Honors: American Jurisprudence Award, Legal Research Techniques
Activities: Articles and Comments Editor, University of Miami Business Law Journal
Columbia University
B.A. (1992) | Philosophy
Honors: Dean's List
Activities: Coxswain, Men's Heavyweight Crew/Rowing Team; Undergraduate Dormitory Council
Pennsylvania Super Lawyer - Rising Star
Law and Politics/Philadelphia magazine
Pennsylvania Super Lawyer - Rising Star
Law and Politics/Philadelphia magazine
Professional Associations
State Bar of Pennsylvania # 85747
- Current
Montgomery Bar Association
- Current
Speaking Engagements
How to Conduct a Successful Client Intake Interview, Montgomery Bar Association
Montgomery Bar Association
Speaker/instructor concerning initial client interviews in criminal defense cases.
Websites & Blogs
Law Offices of Cary B. Hall, L.L.C. - Official
Legal Answers
531 Questions Answered

Q. criminal charges (DUI) in two counties; time served counted for second county concurrent with first count?
A: No idea. It depends on your particular case(s), whether there was bail set in the second county before or after the first charges, etc. A criminal defense attorney is going to have to sit down and compare the paperwork and dockets in both cases to answer your question. Your best bet is to hire one to do so. That attorney can also advocate for you so that perhaps you CAN double-dip with the time served so that both counties are satisfied. Best of luck to you.
Q. I was charged with #1-Int Poss Contr Subst By Per Not Reg #2-Marijuana, small Amt, personal use
A: Probably not any, but -- at least on the law books -- the maximum incarceration time for a small amount of marijuana is one year. It also depends on the jurisdiction. Philadelphia? No time. One of the more rural counties in the middle of the state? Those charges might be taken more seriously. In any event, the most serious charge you're facing is the first one - which is usually possession of some drug *other than* marijuana. If you're talking about prescription pills or narcotics like heroin/fentanyl, you may get smacked. Get yourself an attorney. Best of luck to you.
Q. PA State Trooper gave me a ticket then told me to "plead not guilty". What does this mean?
A: They could. It could also mean that the trooper will agree to drop it down to a lesser charge -- like a lesser number of miles per hour over the speed limit. That could mean less (or no) points on your driver's license, and/or a lesser fine. I think it's a good idea. You'll have to send in the entire amount due for *this* ticket, but will get a refund in the mail if the ticket is pitched entirely or if the fines are less. Best of luck to you.
Q. My brother has been living with me for 9 months but my mom still has custody. How can I gain legal custody of him?
A: File a petition for child custody of him. Under some recent law changes, you now have standing "in loco parentis" to make such a filing with the court. Best of luck to you.
Q. can paperwork error be grounds for dismissal?
A: Not this one, no. The error will not be considered dispositive and substantive by the court, and amendment will be allowed. Hmmm . . . every attorney suggested ARD, but your partner knows (or thinks he/she deserves) better. Sounds like your partner may need a reality check. Best of luck to him/her.
Q. If you got married in Mexico, does Pennsylvania recognize it as a legal marriage?
A: Typically yes, so long as Mexico recognizes the marriage as valid. You should obtain the required documents from Mexico as proof of the marriage, of course.
Q. I have an iPhone from my brother. I'm not on the contract. He said I have to pay or he will sue. Do I have to pay?
A: He could sue you in your local small claims court for unjust enrichment, yes. Do you have to pay? That's up to you, but he may be able to obtain a judgment against you. Best of luck to you.
Q. Are a spouses promises to aid financially binding?
A: I suggest you file for spousal support ASAP with your local Domestic Relations office so you don't have to worry about his promises and anger. Any support award will be retroactive to the date of filing, so filing ASAP is your best bet. Moreover, any support award will be paid via a wage garnishment from his paycheck, so that bypasses any need for his voluntary cooperation or promises in the future. Best of luck to you.
Q. If I have already made payment arrangements with portfolio recovery, Do I still have to attend a conciliation meeting?
A: You should contact the court to inquire. It could very well be that Portfolio Recovery has already informed the court of the agreement, but maybe not. You can also ask Portfolio Recovery to cancel the court proceedings -- something things slip through the cracks. But short of the court telling you that the conciliation is canceled, you should definitely attend. In fact, if you attend and Portfolio Recovery doesn't, they'll likely dismiss the suit against you outright. Best of luck to you.
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
25 W. Airy St., Suite 300
Norristown, PA 19401
Fax: (215) 525-4364