Tim Akpinar represents commercial mariners, recreational boaters, cruise ship passengers, and other injury plaintiffs throughout the entire United States, including inland rivers. As a former shipboard officer, Tim understands the operation of commercial vessels and the legal rights of people who serve aboard them. Such rights can materialize under the Jones Act, Longshore & Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act, and other laws. He has owned several vessels over the years and handles maritime collision, maritime salvage, boating accidents, cruise ship accidents, and complex technical cases. He also handles general injury (motor vehicle) and medical malpractice cases.
Tim taught law at SUNY Maritime College and in the MBA program at Southern New Hampshire University. Tim fights hard for the legal rights of clients who have sustained injury or other damages. Tim’s work is referenced in Wikipedia - Seaman’s Manslaughter Statute. Tim was asked to cover the subject of limitation of liability for the American Trial Lawyers Association, for which he wrote "Defeating Limitation of Liability in Maritime Law." This concept arises in litigation involving commercial and recreational vessels.
Tim worked as an environmental engineer for an 826 MW generating station where he was responsible for regulatory compliance, remediation, and oil spill response. He trained NYC firefighters about first responder power plant hazards that included 138,000 volt electrical equipment, high-pressure steam, bulk acid, caustic, and no. 6 heavy fuel oil storage. He worked as a shift supervisor at a 425 MW station, responsible for steam turbines, generators, boilers, diesels, and auxiliaries.
Tim covers maritime law topics for nationally published maritime and boating magazines, including WorkBoat, The Ensign (US Power Squadron), Offshore, Marine Officer, and LI Boating World. For a free consultation, contact Tim at (718) 224-9824 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Maritime Law
- Personal Injury
- Arbitration & Mediation
- Products Liability
- Insurance Claims
- Appeals & Appellate
- Environmental Law
- Free Consultation
- Contingent Fees
- New Jersey
- New York
- St. John's University School of Law
- State University of New York - Maritime College at Ft. Schuyler
- Bachelor of Engineering (1981) | Mechanical Engineering (Marine)
- Maritime Law Association of the United States
- New York State Bar # 2621100
- - Current
- Gulf Coast Mariners
- Activities: An Advocacy group for commercial mariners working on the nation's inland and coastal waterways
- Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers
- Defeating Limitation of Liability in Maritime Law
- Trial Magazine - The Journal of the Association of Trial Lawyers of America
- Legal Issues for Recreational Boaters, United States Power Squadron - Bayside Power Squadron
- Tim spoke about admiralty jurisdiction over pleasure boats, boating accident legal issues, limitation of liability, salvage law, marine liens, and other legal issues related to recreational boating.
- Maritime Law Issues for Commercial Mariners, Kingsborough Community College - Maritime Technology Program
- Tim spoke about the legal responsibilities of officers and ship's crews, criminal liability, the Jones Act, limitation of liability, salvage law, recent developments in Coast Guard regulations with marine casualty reporting and alcohol testing, marine pollution, and other maritime law topics.
- Recent Developments in Maritime Law, St. John's University School of Law
- Admiralty Law Society
- Tim spoke about salvage law, the law of finds, the Jones Act and legal issues affecting the rights of commercial fishermen.
- U.S. Military Sealift Command Firefighting School
- ALARA Training - As Low As Reseasonable Achievable - Radiation Reducing Considerations in Nuclear Power Plant Design
- Reliability Engineering Training
- Third Assistant Engineer - Steam & Motor Vessels - Unlimited Horsepower
Maritime Lawyer Tim Akpinar Discusses the Legal Rights of Passengers and Guests Injured in Accidents Occurring Aboard Cruise Ships or Shoreside in Connection With Their Voyages. He Describes Jurisdictional Issues and Other Stipulations Imposed by Cruise Lines Within the Contract Conditions of Their Tickets. He Also Briefly Touches Upon SOLAS, The Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea, in Terms of Safety Compliance by Cruise Lines.Maritime Attorney Discusses Legal Issues with Boating & Jet Ski Accidents
Maritime Lawyer Tim Akpinar Discusses the Legal Rights of Recreational Boaters Injured in Accidents Occurring in on Navigable and Non-Navigable Waters of the United States. He Discusses How Arcane Elements of Maritime Law Can Apply to Pleasure Boat Accidents, from Limitation of Liability to Certain Presumptions Observed under Federal Maritime Law in the United States.The Jones Act Maritime Attorney Discusses Legal Rights of Commercial Mariners Under Federal Mariti
Maritime Lawyer Tim Akpinar Discusses the Legal Rights of Mariners Injured in Accidents Occurring in the Course of Their Employment on Commercial Vessels. This Includes Deckhands, ABs, Oilers, Wipers, DDEs, QMEDs, Tankermen, Cooks, Stewards, Bartenders, Deck Officers, Engine Officers, and Other Ship's Crew Injured in the Course of Their Employment, Whether Shipboard or Shoreside. Tim Describes Coverage Under the Jones Act, Maintenance and Cure, and Outlines How Jones Act Coverage Differs From Traditional Workers' Compensation Coverage.Maritime Attorney Talks About the Jones Act and Legal Rights of Injured Commercial Fishermen
Maritime Lawyer Tim Akpinar Discusses the Legal Rights of Commercial Fishermen Injured in Accidents Occurring in the Course of Their Employment. He Describes Coverage Under the Jones Act and Describes Distinctions from Conventional Employee Coverage Under Workers' Compensation Insurance.
- Q. how can i go about suing a pharmacy that gave me the wrong medicine.
- A: Is it possible you were supposed to be given erythromycin 0.5% ophthalmic strength ointment? Whatever the case may have been, you could contact a med mal attorney in Mississippi to review the matter in greater detail in terms of the prescription you were given, the one you were supposed to get, and resulting damages. I hope you are okay as a result of the mix-up. Good luck Tim Akpinar
- Q. Can I legally put postcards/flyers on people’s door for my lawncare business?
- A: In the past, it would have been no big deal and you wouldn't have thought twice about it. However, some communities and associations have implemented rules prohibiting the delivery of things like flyers, pennysavers, etc. Depending on your area, just make sure there are no town or other ordinances against doing this. Good luck Tim Akpinar
- Q. I bought a lawn mower from sears a week after i got it the battery won't stay charged they came out two times to look at
- A: That's a very short period of time within which to experience a mechanical problem. As a reputable company, Sears would probably want to work with you toward resolving a problem that materialized so soon after purchase. Ask if they have the means to elevate the issue to a higher level of tech support, for instance, maybe a technician experienced in electrical systems, if such a resource is available. If still no resolution seems likely, you could speak with a Kansas attorney about available options. Good luck Tim Akpinar
- Q. An employee has an injury at his work place, how does he start the claim for the compensation?
- A: One option you have is to contact a workers' compensation attorney in Ohio. The process involves strict deadlines and can be complex. You could also repost your question in the Workers' Comp category (it is posted under Personal Injury), where some very experienced WC attorneys on this board are active. If you choose to consult with a WC attorney (many of whom offer free initial consults), which is generally recommended, it would be advisable to speak with one sooner than later. Good luck Tim Akpinar
- Q. Hey I have a question on used tires. Is it illegal to sell dry rotted tires?
- A: From a safety standpoint (and you can find professionals in the transportation and highway safety industry who are better qualified than attorneys to explain this), tires with dry rot can experience catastrophe failure leading to serious injury or death. From a legal standpoint, a Georgia attorney familiar with consumer, transportation, public safety, and other laws might be able to help identify legislation and regulations that address tire safety on a federal and state level. Tim Akpinar
- Q. Are there any 24 hours attorneys I can find for finding a roach in my drink from McDonald's???
- A: There probably are, but sometimes, the 24/7 ads involve answering services. If you want to discuss the matter with an attorney, the best chances are during business hours, Monday through Friday. Good luck Tim Akpinar
- Q. Are swim thongs leaflets in clay co.ms. at home pool
- A: It looks like part of your question may have inadvertently been left off. You could try reposting. Tim Akpinar
- Q. can I sue a prebuilt shed company?
- A: First check the terms of the agreement. It could possibly contain provisions that include arbitration as a forum for handling disputes. Tim Akpinar
- Q. I had a slip and trip claim resulting in a broken wrist - I believe the club to have produced fake accident reports
- A: This is a tough case. From some of the terminology you use, I'm not sure if this took place in the United Kingdom, but some of the underlying general legal principles would likely be similar to U.S. law in this type of tort case. It's possible the original solicitors felt that it would have been costly to attempt to refute the club's report with the wet floor sign through deposition or having an investigator identify and interview witnesses. One option you have is to consult with another solicitor. Good luck Tim Akpinar