Free Consultation: (570) 714-3343Tap to Call This Lawyer
Timothy Belt

Timothy Belt

The Belt Law Firm, PC
  • Workers' Compensation, Social Security Disability
  • Pennsylvania
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

Attorney Timothy D. Belt is the son of Reverend James and Patricia Belt, and he has resided primarily in the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area since 1985. Tim graduated from Lackawanna Trail High School and is a 1996 summa cum laude graduate of the University of the Ozarks. Tim graduated from Villanova University School of Law in 1999 and shortly thereafter began practicing law in the Wilkes-Barre area.

Tim’s practice focuses on workers compensation, social security disability, unemployment compensation and auto injury claims. Tim is a frequent speaker in regard to workers compensation issues to business and union organizations.

Tim is a member of the Pennsylvania Bar Association, Wilkes-Barre Law and Library Association, and Wyoming/Sullivan County Bar Association

Practice Areas
  • Workers' Compensation
  • Social Security Disability
  • Free Consultation
  • Contingent Fees
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
  • Spanish: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Founding Attorney
The Belt Law Firm, PC
- Current
Fendler & Associates, PC
Marshall, Denehey, Warner, Coleman and Goggin
Laputka, Bayless, Ecker & Cohn
Villanova University
- present
Villanova University Logo
Professional Associations
Pennsylvania State Bar
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Workers' Compensation Law Certified Specialist
Pennsylvania Bar Association
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
377 Questions Answered

Q. What happens after your unemployment runs out and no one will still hire you I’ve been applying for jobs for 6 months
A: You posted your question under workers' compensation. Were you injured at your former employer before the restructuring? If so, I would suggest that you contact a local workers' compensation attorney as soon as possible.
Q. i was hurt on the job on 11/22/1018 i told employerr by feb 10 and have not heard back from them i am going to doctors
A: You should have received a document accepting or denying your claim within 21 days of providing your employer with notice. It has been more than 6 months, so I seriously doubt your employer is going to do anything on their own. Contact a local workers' compensation lawyer in regard to filing a Claim Petition.
Q. Why did the workmans adjuster got replaced with a lawyer.thank you
A: Adjusters do not handle petitions before judges, so my best guess is that a petition has been filed or is being considered.
Q. Please if you can let me know now that its taken so long what can i do to further .
A: The only one that can really answer your questions would be your lawyer. There are many issues that come up in a workers' compensation case, and if the case has to go all the way to decision, the process can take a year or more from the date the petition is filed until the decision is received. I would suggest that you call your lawyer and request a status report and a projected time line.
Q. PA workers compensation headache
A: It is not fraud on your part. Your employer having submitted the claim to short term disability rather than workers' compensation is potentially a different answer. It is called an aggravation of a pre-existing condition which is considered a new injury in PA. It is very unlikely at this point that your workers' compensation claim is going to be accepted voluntarily, so stop wasting time talking to the adjuster and hire a workers' compensation attorney.
Q. Can a judge force me to seek legal counsel when I am indigent?
A: A workers' compensation judge cannot force you to get a lawyer. He can strongly suggest this is in your best interest, and if you attempt to settle your case without a lawyer, he can find that you do not understand the full legal significance of the agreement and refuse to approve it. I see that you have spoken to a few workers' compensation lawyers and they have not been willing to represent you. I would suggest you talk to a few more. The simple truth is your odds of success in the claim or in obtaining a fair settlement are much higher if you have an attorney.
Q. do I have to use my total accrued vacation up prior to collecting workers compensation? My employer says I do. Help.
A: You do not have to use your vacation time to receive workers' compensation, but your employer can force you to use your vacation time while you are receiving workers' compensation. If you have been out of work for more than a week for your work injury you would be entitled to workers' compensation wage loss benefits. However, there is no law in Pennsylvania that restricts your employer from also making you use vacation time while you are out of work, but you should receive both after the first week of disability. I would suggest that you contact a local workers' compensation lawyer to assist you with your claim.
Q. Can FMLA leave be combined with workers' compensation?
A: Yes, FMLA can run at the same time as workers' compensation. There is nothing that prohibits this.
Q. How do I decide if I need to file a workers' compensation or a personal injury claim for my work injury?
A: If the claim is against your employer and your employer has workers' compensation insurance, you can only file a workers' compensation claim. If a third-party other than your employer or a coworker was negligent and caused a work injury or if your employer does not have workers' compensation insurance and was negligent resulting in your injury, you may be able to file a personal injury claim. To by sure in your particular case, I would suggest you schedule a free initial consultation with a local workers' compensation attorney to review your options.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
The Belt Law Firm, PC
100 West Union Street
Kingston, PA 18704
Telephone: (570) 714-3343