My practice is limited primarily to two areas, driver's license reinstatement and DUI. My background affords you a unique perspective.
For all of your professional needs, call Ted at 217-525-0520.
For 15 years, I heard driver's license cases as a contractual hearing officer for the Secretary of State (DMV). This experiences has provided me with the opportunity to understand how the opposing side thinks and operates.
- DUI & DWI
- Traffic Tickets
- Social Security Disability
- Driver's License Reinstatement
- Free Consultation
Initial telephone consultation with experienced and knowledgeable staff. I will follow up.
- Credit Cards Accepted
VISA, Master Card, American Express, Discover and Electronic Checks.
- Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
For driver's license hearings, partial payment with balance not due until day of hearing, affording you the opportunity to budget your fees.
- Harvatin Law Offices PC
- - Current
- I began practicing law in Springfield Illinois in 1981. In 2000, my partner became a judge, and I have been solo since that time. I formerly took on virtually any case. But the law has now grown too complicated for me to be "all things to all people". As a result, I limit my practice to a few areas, and I know the law in those areas quite well.
- University of Illinois - Urbana-Champaign
- J.D. | Law
- Knox College
- B.A. | Ecnomics and Business
- Honors: Honors: Cum Laude Honors: Phi Beta Kappa
- Mensa Society
- Membership in Mensa is open to persons who have attained a score within the upper two percent of the general population on an approved intelligence test that has been properly administered and supervised. There is no other qualification or disqualification for membership eligibility.
- Illinois Trial Lawyer's Association
- - Current
- Activities: Statewide organization whose members, through the courts, public opinion and the elective process, advance the interests of injury victims.
- Illinois State Bar Association
- - Current
- Activities: Association of Illinois lawyers who work to improve the legal process.
- Sangamon County Bar Association
- - Current
- Activities: Springfield is the seat of government for Sangamon County. Abraham Lincoln practiced law here. The Association strives to carry on the traditions of Lincoln to improve the delivery of legal services to our community.
- Theodore J. Harvatin's Website Profile
- Harvatin Law Offices PC Website
- Illinois DUI Lawyer Blawg
- Arizona Court Upholds DUI Conviction Despite Invalid Consent to a Blood Draw
11 March 2019
- Georgia Court Rules that Evidence of a Refusal to Submit to a Breath Test is Inadmissible at DUI Trial
26 February 2019
- Illinois Court Rules Miranda Violations Do Not Preclude Statements in Statutory Summary Suspension Hearings
12 February 2019
- U.S. Supreme Court to Rule on Whether a Blood Draw from an Unconscious Driver is Unconstitutional
29 January 2019
- Illinois Court Finds the Motor Vehicle Code Does Not Impose Implied Consent to Chemical Testing Absent an Arrest
15 January 2019
- Utah Court Rules Reasonable Suspicion Sufficient Grounds to Investigate for DUI
27 December 2018
- California Court Sentences a Defendant to Thirty Years in Prison for Second-Degree Murder Following a DUI Accident that Killed 6 People
12 December 2018
- New Jersey Supreme Court Ruling Dismissing Breath Test Results Due to Improperly Certified Machines Could Overturn 20,000 DUI Convictions
27 November 2018
- Maine Supreme Court Rules Extrinsic Evidence Can Be Used to Establish Enhancing Factors for an Aggravated DUI Charge
13 November 2018
- Q. Is there a way to avoid having to complete a SATOP course?
- A: When you apply, Illinois will check the national registry. Most likely you will be listed as “not eligible“ in Missouri due to not completing the required courses. If that happens, Illinois will not license you.
- Q. My daughter got her first ticket. She is 20 years old.
- A: In order to receive supervision both you and your daughter must appear. And she must take a safe driving course as part of her supervision. They don’t usually throw out a ticket just because it’s the first one.
- Q. Illinois had a DUI plead guilty for supervision... do I have to go back because of a red light ticket.
- A: Those are like expensive parking tickets. Not a moving violation and I doubt the prosecutor in your supervision case will even be aware of it and or care. If they do, they have to file papers and notify you.
- Q. Hello, I looked up my two unpaid traffic tickets and the status says closed...do I still have to pay the fines?
- A: File closed. Civil judgment sent to a collection agency. Most likely. Your license is or probably will be suspended
- Q. I got a ticket for going 83 in a 55 zone. The officer said and marked no court appearance required. Now I have to go?
- A: Yes. Appear in court
- Q. Willl my license get suspended? Will it go on a criminal record ? What is a individual bond.
- A: That’s just the bond. You are in danger of losing your license. This charge is a crime not a ticket. Find a lawyer
- Q. I got a 2 tickets for driving on expired plates and speeding 15-20 over posted speed limit.
- A: That does not represent the fine. Bring in proof your plates are current and ask for supervision on the speeding ticket.
- Q. I had two DUI's the last was 8 years ago. What do I need to do to get my license back in Illinois
- A: You will need a hearing with the Secretary of State after obtaining the necessary documentation, including a drug/alcohol evaluation and any recommendations for follow up. This is an oversimplification of a complicated process.
- Q. I have two pending cases but the clerk of courts sent a guilty verdict to the State of Ill
- A: No But you can get the convictions removed for now by notifying the clerk of the error.