Free Consultation: (614) 228-6657Tap to Call This Lawyer
Taylor P Waters

Taylor P Waters

  • Animal & Dog Law, Real Estate Law, Consumer Law...
  • Ohio
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial MediaResponsive Law

Ms. Waters's practice concentrates on all aspects of civil litigation. Ms. Waters represents consumers and professionals as they navigate active litigation. Prior to joining Madison & Rosan, LLP, Ms. Waters represented consumers in Ohio Consumer Protection Act, Fair Debt Collection Act, Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act, foreclosure defense, and other general civil litigation matters. She clerked with the Michigan Department of Attorney General and the Animal Legal Defense Fund. Ms. Waters is an active member of the Ohio State Bar Association, Columbus Bar Association, and Ohio Women’s Bar Association. When not at the office Ms. Waters enjoys spending time with her daughter, husband, plethora of four-legged companions, running, and swimming.

Practice Areas
  • Animal & Dog Law
  • Real Estate Law
  • Consumer Law
  • Foreclosure Defense
  • Immigration Law
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
  • Contingent Fees
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Supreme Court of Ohio Office of Attorney Services
ID Number: 97767
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Michigan State University
J.D. (2018) | Law
Honors: Magna Cum Laude
Activities: Editor-in-Chief for the Journal of Animal and Natural Resource Law, Study abroad in Bialystok, Poland
Michigan State University Logo
Environmental Law Award
Ohio State Bar Association
Wanda Nash Award
Michigan State Bar Association
Professional Associations
State Bar of Ohio # 97767
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Articles & Publications
Passenger Pigeons: The De-Extinction of a Bird
Journal of Animal and Natural Resource Law
Websites & Blogs
Madison & Rosan
Legal Answers
34 Questions Answered

Q. Can a residential home buyer sue the seller for defects that were disclosed on a home inspection?
A: Not easily. Ohio is a Caveat Emptor state, meaning if the defect is discoverable with reasonable inspection, the buyer had access to inspect, and there's no fraud, then you're usually out of luck. If you can try to prove fraud, then maybe. It's an uphill battle though.
Q. I bought a used car from dealer. They couldn’t get me a title so I took car back and They gave me a check that bounced.
A: You can file a small claims action against them n your local municipal court. Bring all your paperwork, proof of the check bouncing, and all communications from them.
Q. I lived with my fiance for 12 yrs. and he passed away on May 31. His house is in mortgage and they want their money.
A: That depends, there are a few ways to delay foreclosure and hold the bank off depending on where you are in the process. It would be difficult to answer without more information.
Q. Renting in Ohio, landlord did not disclose mouse infestation and mold before leasing. Can I break my lease early?
A: Likely, yes. As part of the landlord tenant act, landlords must do the following: (1) Comply with the requirements of all applicable building, housing, health, and safety codes that materially affect health and safety; (2) Make all repairs and do whatever is reasonably necessary to put and keep the premises in a fit and habitable condition; (3) Keep all common areas of the premises in a safe and sanitary condition; (4) Maintain in good and safe working order and condition all electrical, plumbing, sanitary, heating, ventilating, and air conditioning fixtures and appliances, and elevators, supplied or required to be supplied by the landlord. 5321.04 (A). You must give notice in writing to the landlord, specifying the acts, omissions, or code violations that constitute noncompliance, send the notice to where you usually send your rent. If after the landlord receives the notice and fails to fix the problems within a reasonable time, you may within 30 days do one of the following: (1) Deposit all rent that is due and thereafter becomes due the landlord with the clerk of the municipal or county court having jurisdiction in the territory in which the residential premises are located; (2) Apply to the court for an order directing the landlord to remedy the condition. As part of the application, the tenant may deposit rent pursuant to division (B)(1) of this section, may apply for an order reducing the periodic rent due the landlord until the landlord remedies the condition, and may apply for an order to use the rent deposited to remedy the condition. In any order issued pursuant to this division, the court may require the tenant to deposit rent with the clerk of court as provided in division (B)(1) of this section; or (3) Terminate the rental agreement.
Q. I bought a dog from someone online. The dog was clearly sick so I called it into animal control as a stray
A: You're asking whether you can lie to animal control because you bought a dog with parvo? No. You can try to return the dog to the seller, attempt to bring a lawsuit against the seller, or attempt to surrender the animal to the local humane society.
Q. Can I back out of a home repairs contract?
A: Probably, but it will depend on what your contract says and whether the Ohio Consumer Sales Protection Act or Home Solicitation Act apply and can strengthen your position.
Q. Can you evict an ex when they are not on deed or mortgage? I had to move she’s still there but it’s my house??
A: Was she an ex-wife or an ex-girlfriend? If she was an ex-wife, the question is much more complication. If she's an ex-girlfriend, you need to follow normal eviction procedures.
Q. Brother died 2012 he has two kids neither took control of anything. House is falling down back taxes owed.
A: No, if they own the property then it is their property to dispose of. If they're truly not interested in doing anything with it, they might be willing to deed it to you and then you can take care of it. The backed taxes will follow the property, however.
Q. Does a landlord have to provide safe and healthy for all tenants if one of the neighbors is a hoarder
A: Yes. Under ORC 5321.04 (A)(1) and (3) a landlord must (1) Comply with the requirements of all applicable building, housing, health, and safety codes that materially affect health and safety and (3) Keep all common areas of the premises in a safe and sanitary condition. You could probably file a complaint with the city regarding the bed bugs, insects, mice, etc. particularly if they pervade a common area. Another option would be a civil landlord/tenant action against the landlord claiming violations of the landlord-tenant act. While that dispute is on-going, you may put your rent in escrow with the court. This marks you as still paying your rent, even though your landlord won't have access to it until the dispute is resolved.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
Madison & Rosan
39 East Whittier Street
Columbus, OH 43206
Telephone: (614) 228-6657