Free Consultation: (866) 733-2720Tap to Call This Lawyer
Taran Provost

Taran Provost

Serving the counties of Orange, Sullivan, Rockland, Dutchess
  • Bankruptcy, Collections, Criminal Law...
  • New York
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

Mr. Provost is an attorney practicing in consumer bankruptcy (chapters 7 and 13) with the Law Firm of Ingber & Provost, LLP. His offices serve the Hudson Valley and Catskill regions in New York State, as well as the New York City metropolitan area and Long Island. Together with his partner, Norman Ingber, the Law Firm of Ingber & Provost, LLP has more than 40 years of combined professional experience helping clients find solutions to their debts, as well as other legal matters, such as personal injury, real estate, and criminal law, including DWI defense. Mr. Provost is a client-oriented attorney, and is known to be readily accessible to his clients after hours and on weekends. He received his bachelor's degree from Syracuse University, and an M.A. in Communications from New York University. He received his law degree from Brooklyn Law School. He is a published author, with articles appearing in such publications as Time, Fortune, and The American Banker.

Practice Areas
  • Bankruptcy
  • Collections
  • Criminal Law
  • DUI & DWI
  • Personal Injury
  • Real Estate Law
  • Free Consultation
    All clients, regardless of their specific issue, receive a free consultation up to one half hour.
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    Rates depend on complexity of the matter at hand.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
New York
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
2nd Circuit
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • Spanish: Spoken, Written
Brooklyn Law School
Juris Doctor (2004)
Placeholder image for education.
New York University
M.A. (1996)
Placeholder image for education.
Syracuse University
B.A. (1991)
Placeholder image for education.
Professional Associations
- Current
Activities: Volunteer for Jewish philanthropy. Work includes assisting blind and disabled seniors with daily needs.
Placeholder image for professional associations.
- Current
Activities: Member National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys.
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
5 Questions Answered

Q. Brookhaven hosp injured my arm and now i am in therapy very painful
A: Like all injury cases, you have to act quickly. Strength of your case depends on whether you were previously injured to that part of your body, engaged in activities that would have caused the injury independent of hospital, etc. If you wish to speak with one of our attorneys, we can be reached at 516 627 5809.
Q. I slipped on water in Pathmark, broke knee, had surgery large scar now, still limp, and pathmark a&p
A: Hello -- it sounds like you've sustained a serious injury due to the negligence of the supermarket. You should consult with an attorney as the amount of time you have to act is limited. The strength of your case depends on large part on the amount of notice the store had as to the defect, whether other people fell at the same location, etc. We've helped a number of people with slips and falls in stores. Please visit our site at
Q. If I file bankruptcy in NY, and settle a workmen's compensation case 2 months later, would I have to use the settlement towards bankruptcy?
A: Generally, your right to receive a worker's compensation claim is exempt in bankruptcy. If you've received money prior to filing, however, that money could be claimed to pay your creditors, depending on the amount and other factors. Only the right to "receive" the benefit is exempt. This is a complicated matter requiring assistance from an attorney. Receipt of the funds and timing of your case are critical factors.
Q. I'm recently divorced and my home is going into foreclosure. Is bankruptcy an option?
A: Hello -- Yes, bankruptcy is typically an option. Whether it would be chapter 13 or chapter 7 depends on a number of factors, including your present income and assets you own. Most in this situation file for chapter 7 and eliminate any possible deficiency you may have on the mortgage debt, while also eliminating credit card debts, etc. if applicable. If the home is an investment property, bankruptcy becomes a more urgent matter. All cases are different, and whether bankruptcy makes sense for you requires meeting with an attorney practiced in that area of law. Hope that helps you a bit.
Q. Never signed anthing authorizing me as user on credit card. can i be held liable in new york state
A: Generally, using another person's credit card will make that other person liable for the debts you incur, not you. The only way you become liable is if you signed off as a responsible party for the debt. Typically, if someone makes you an authorized user, then that's all you are: a user of another person's credit account with no liability on the debt, even if the credit card companies try to make you think otherwise.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
25 Market Street
Suite 700
Poughkeepsie, NY 12601
Toll-Free: (866) 733-2720
Telephone: (646) 942-7827
Fax: (845) 733-2722