Susan Hansen focuses her practice on collaborative divorce and mediation. She has extensive experience in both complex financial and child-related family issues. Her approach emphasizes working closely with clients for creative problem-solving and uses an interdisciplinary process to provide the greatest value and long-term benefits to clients. Susan has held leadership positions in many legal associations and community organizations. She is past president of the International Academy of Collaborative Professionals. She has frequently presented on family law topics to lawyers, judges, and mental health and financial professionals. She has provided mediation and collaborative practice training nationally and internationally, most recently in Florence, Italy. Susan has consistently been named in Milwaukee's best divorce lawyers by Super Lawyers, Milwaukee Magazine, US News and World Reports, M Magazine, and received an AV Preeminent Bar and Judicial Rating by Martindale Hubble for Highest Level of Professional Excellence and Ethics. Susan and her law partner recently opened the Family Mediation Center to expand education and process options for self-represented couples. FMC utilizes an interdisciplinary mediation approach including lawyer mediators and child and financial specialists to assist couples in creating family-centered agreements and navigating the court process. Susan has consistently been named among Milwaukee’s best divorce attorneys by Milwaukee Magazine, Super Lawyers and Best Lawyers and Best Law Firms in America and Best Mediators in America by US News and World Reports, as well as receiving an AV Preeminent Peer Rating by Martindale Hubbell. For more information, visit www.h-hlaw.com and www.familymediationcenter.org
- Family Law
- Free Consultation
I provide a no-charge telephone consultation to help potential clients understand their legal process choices and weigh options for next steps.
- Credit Cards Accepted
- Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
I provide both full and limited scope representation for individuals as well as mediation services for couples. Client's legal needs and fees are discussed at the initial consultation and throughout the duration of representation.
- Marquette University Law School
- J.D. (1981) | Law
- Honors: Academic Award for Family Law
- Listed as Super Lawyer; Top 25 Women Lawyers in Wisconsin
- Super Lawyers
- List as a Super Lawyer since inception of the awards.
- Best Family Lawyer; Best Mediator
- Best Lawyers-US News and World Reports
- AV Preeminent; Peer Rated for Highest Level of Professional Excellence
- Martindale Hubbell
- Received for multiple years. Also received highest rating from the Judiciary.
- State Bar of Wisconsin # 1014798
- Internation Academy of Collaborative Professionals
- Co-presenter, Compassionate Family Court Systems: The Role of Trauma-Informed Jurisprudence, Washington DC
- Co-presented with Judge Michael J. Dwyer, presiding judge of Family Division and Dr. Casey Holtz, child and family psychologist
- Trainer, Interdisciplinary Family Mediation, Milwaukee, WI
- Family Mediation Center
- Four day mediation training focused on mediating with self-represented parties.
- Collaborative Practice Trainer, Introductory Interdisciplinary Collaborative Training, Florence, Italy
- I was part of a training team that presented a 3 day training to Italian lawyers,financial specialists and mental health professionals.
- Hansen & Hildebrand, S.C.
- Family Mediation Center
- Tis the Season: Managing Holidays and Family Restructuring
13 December 2018
- Step-by-Step Wisconsin Divorce Mediation
12 February 2018
- How a Child Specialist Can Help You and Your Child
19 July 2017
- Estate Planning During and After Divorce
7 July 2017
- Divorce Impacts Businesses as well as Families
20 April 2017
- Houses Divided: inheriting property with your siblings
8 April 2016
- Is 50/50 Placement a Reality?
6 March 2016
- Top 10 Financial Mistakes You Cannot Afford to Make in Divorce
19 February 2016
- Transitioning from Spouses to Co-Parents
7 February 2016