Free Consultation: (916) 925-1249Tap to Call This Lawyer
Profile Image Placeholder

Susan G. Cohen

Courage, Justice and Compassion
  • Family Law, Divorce, Domestic Violence ...
  • California, California
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&AResponsive Law

Susan Cohen graduated from the University of California at Davis School of Law. She holds a Juris Doctor Degree from Martin Luther King, Jr. School of Law at the University of California at Davis. Her Law Office is in Downtown Sacramento. Her practice experience includes Family Law, including Divorce, Child Custody, Child Support, Spousal Support and Property Division. She accepts Domestic Violence, and Civil Harassment cases. She also practices in the area of Employment Law, including Discrimination on account of race, racial harassment, sex, sexual harassment, sexual orientation discrimination, age discrimination, disability discrimination, religious discrimination, and wages and hours claims. In these challenging times, you may need help from a lawyer to require your Employer or former Employer to pay you all the wages you are owed. California Employment Law and also allow you to obtain Court Orders to require your Employer to pay some or all of your Attorney's Fees incurred in a Discrimination Case, or a case seeking Unpaid Wages that are owed to you. Susan Cohen can help you seek accommodation of your religious beliefs in the workplace, or accommodation of your disability at work. She also handles workplace safety cases, including both Federal OSHA and CalOSHA Workplace Safety Violations. She received an M.A. Degree from Stanford University in European History, focusing on the Religious Conflicts of Sixteenth Century Europe. She graduated Cum Laude with Honors in History from Brandeis University.

Practice Areas
    Family Law
    Adoption, Child Custody, Child Support, Father's Rights, Guardianship & Conservatorship, Paternity, Prenups & Marital Agreements, Restraining Orders, Same Sex Family Law
    Collaborative Law, Contested Divorce, Military Divorce, Property Division, Same Sex Divorce, Spousal Support & Alimony, Uncontested Divorce
    Domestic Violence
    Domestic Violence Criminal Defense, Domestic Violence Restraining Orders, Victims Rights , Victims Rights
    Employment Law
    Employee Benefits, Employment Contracts, Employment Discrimination, ERISA, Overtime & Unpaid Wages, Sexual Harassment, Whistleblower, Wrongful Termination
    White Collar Crime
    Business Law
    Business Contracts, Business Dissolution, Business Finance, Business Formation, Business Litigation, Franchising, Mergers & Acquisitions, Partnership & Shareholder Disputes
    Criminal Law
    Criminal Appeals, Drug Crimes, Expungement, Fraud, Gun Crimes, Internet Crimes, Sex Crimes, Theft, Violent Crimes
  • Free Consultation
    First Half Hour of your Family Law Intake Interview is Free.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    VISA, MasterCard, American Express, Discover card.
  • Contingent Fees
    In Discrimination and some other employment law matters. Review of severance package and termination agreements is usually either on an hourly or Flat Fee Basis, depending on the facts of your case. Susan Cohen also accepts wages and hours matters, including unpaid wages, denial of Rest Breaks and Lunchbreaks, unpaid overtime and required higher overtime hourly rates. Family Law Court Rules usually prohibit contingent fees in Family Law cases and Criminal Defense cases.
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    Attorneys are generally not allowed to accept most Family Law cases on a contingent fee basis. But many employment discrimination and other employment cases can be accepted on a contingent fee basis.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
State Bar of California
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • French: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Sacramento County Bar Association Member
Admitted to U.S. Tax Court
Admitted in U.S. District Court for Northern California
Admitted in U.S. District Court for Eastern California
University of California, Davis, School of Law
J.D. (1984) | Law
University of California, Davis, School of Law Logo
Stanford University
M.A. (1970) | Renaissance and Reformation History, Early Modern European History.
Honors: Honorary Woodrow Wilson Fellow, 1968' University Fellowships from Stanford, Aauw Fellowship
Activities: Secretary, Graduate Students in History Association
Stanford University Logo
Brandeis University
B.A. (1968) | History
Honors: Cum Laude with Honors in History
Activities: Student Newspaper -The Justice
Brandeis University Logo
Honorary Woodrow Wilson Fellow
Woodrow Wilson Foundation
Professional Associations
State Bar of California  # 114775
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Sacramento County Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
25 Questions Answered
Q. Is my employer retaliating against me or doing anything else that is unlawful?
A: You need to contact an Employment Discrimination Attorney who handles claims under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) as soon as possible. You also need to be sure that you contact an attorney who handles Workers Compensation Claims for Assistance. There are provisions in both of these important areas of law that can protect your rights to employment, and help you in requiring your employer to consider and negotiate with you for an Accommodation for your Disability, so that you can continue to maintain your employment. I usually will bring cases like this to the Federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, which can assist you in processing a Federal Employment Discrimination Claim. Please retain an attorney at your earliest convenience who practices in the area of Employment Discrimination Law. In some cases, the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing can be another agency that can help you. Especially in these hard times you should make every reasonable effort to preserve your employment. Susan G. Cohen, Esq. - Sacramento California Employment Law Attorney. ... Read More
Q. Does it mean she can travel to outside the country with my 12 years son without my permission?
A: Since the existing court order does not contain restrictions as to where she can travel, she may be able to travel outside the country for less than a month. Contact an attorney in the county where the mother and child reside about seeking to file a Request to Modify Custody. You did not state whether this was a Divorce Action or a Paternity case. It could make a difference in what sort of help the court can give you. Susan G. Cohen, Esq. Sacramento.
Q. I was attacked at work by a non employee in full view of employers .
A: You should contact an Employment Law Attorney who represents employees as soon as possible. There are some very short statutes of limitation in Employment Law cases for Discrimination and also for Occupational Health and Safety Claims. When did this incident happen? Do you still work for the same employer? Do you know the name of the person that attacked you? Both the Federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing can help with discrimination claims. A violent assault may not be within the scope of Workers' Compensation Coverage, but the employer may have some responsibility for failing to have measures in place regarding assaults committed against employees. Call a Plaintiff's Employment Lawyer in the county or metropolitan area where you work as soon as possible. ... Read More
View More Answers
Contact & Map
Cohen Law Office
2801 Arden Way
P.O. Box 255336
Sacramento, CA 95865
Telephone: (916) 925-1249
Monday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Tuesday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Wednesday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Thursday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Friday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Saturday: Closed (Today)
Sunday: Closed
Notice: Hours 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday to Friday and by Appointment.