A native of Kokomo, Indiana, Attorney Susan D. Rayl is a highly experienced criminal defense attorney. In her practice of more than 25 years, she has represented hundreds of clients in various stages of the criminal proceeding, from pre-trial investigation up to and including appeal, working with the most complex and difficult criminal cases.
Ms. Rayl opened her own solo law practice in Indianapolis in 2000, focusing on criminal appeals, and later became a partner in the law firm Smith Rayl Law Office, LLC. All told, Susan has more than twenty-five years of experience in criminal defense. She has conducted numerous bench and jury trials and completed more than 130 appeals in the Indiana Court of Appeals and Indiana Supreme Court, including major felony appeals, sentence modification appeals, post-conviction relief appeals, interlocutory appeals, and others. Now a partner with Hand Ponist, she handles criminal trials and appeals, post-conviction relief proceedings, sentence modifications, expungements, and probate violations.
- Appeals & Appellate
- Criminal Law
- White Collar Crime
- Free Consultation
- Credit Cards Accepted
Visa, Mastercard, Discover
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
- Hand Ponist Horvath Smith & Rayl, LLC
- - Current
- Susan Rayl runs the Criminal Defense Division of Hand Ponist Horvath Smith & Rayl, LLC in the Old Northside of Indianapolis. She focuses her practice on criminal defense, representing clients who are charged with misdemeanors and felonies, including shoplifting, theft, robbery, burglary, rape, child molest, battery, domestic battery, and murder. Susan handles trials, appeals, post-conviction relief, expungements, diversions, and probation violations.
- Susan Rayl, Attorney at Law
- As an attorney with her own practice, Susan focused on criminal appeals in the Indiana Court of Appeals and the Indiana Supreme Court. She completed more than 80 cases, including appeals of convictions, interlocutory appeals, and probation violations.
- Associate Attorney
- McClure, McClure, & Kammen
- At McClure, McClure, & Kammen in downtown Indianapolis, Susan worked for prominent criminal defense attorney Richard Kammen, honing her skills as both a trial lawyer and an appellate attorney. She represented numerous clients in both bench trials and jury trials, as well as handling even more cases that were resolved before trial. In addition, she also handled appeals of major felonies, including murder, either on her own or assisting Mr. Kammen.
- McClure, McClure, & Kammen
- While still in law school, Susan worked as a clerk at McClure, McClure, & Kammen, assisting criminal defense lawyers with research and drafting.
- Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law
- Indiana University - Indiana University/Purdue University at Indianapolis
- B.S. | Business
- Indiana University - Indiana University-Kokomo
- A.S. | Radiologic Sciences
- Indiana State Bar Association
- National Association Of Criminal Defense Attorneys
- Indianapolis Bar Association
- Susan D. Rayl's Website Profile
- Hand Ponist Horvath Smith & Rayl, LLC Criminal Law Website
- Hand Ponist Horvath Smith & Rayl, LLC Corporate Website
- Indiana Business Law Blog
- Veil Piercing: Plaintiff Left With No Recourse, and That’s Okay
25 November 2018
- Homeowners’ Associations and Election Signs
5 October 2018
- History of the Johnson Amendment
2 October 2018
- Defend Trade Secrets Act: Are Your Employment Agreements Up to Date?
3 September 2018
- Revised Policy on the Use of Unpaid Interns
20 August 2018
- Business Contact Basics: Preambles
22 March 2018
- Indiana Business Entity Harmonization: Postscript
3 March 2018
- That Time When the Indiana Government Nearly Came Apart at the Seams
28 February 2018
- Indiana Business Entity Harmonization: Part IV
2 January 2018