I have been in solo private practice representing plaintiffs in the areas of environmental, land use, and elections law for almost thirty years. My clients are usually local environmental groups, neighborhood associations, homeowner associations, and occasionally individuals or government agencies. In addition to my law degree (New College of Calif., 1990) have undergraduate and masters of science degrees in biology from Brown University and a Ph.D. in biochemistry and molecular biology from Harvard University. I spent ten years working as a researcher in agricultural biotechnology before doing a career change and getting my law degree.
I represent clients during the administrative process for projects, attempting to protect their interests and those of the public, and also represent clients in litigation when unacceptable projects get approved.
Some of my major litigation efforts have been fifteen years of work attempting to improve California's high-speed rail project, including ten years of litigation against the California High Speed Rail Authority. My clients in that litigation have included Kings County, the cities of Palo Alto, and Menlo Park, the Town of Atherton, and a half-dozen public interest environmental and transportation groups, as well as the author of California's high-speed rail statute, former State Senator and Judge Quentin Kopp (ret.).
I have also successfully represented the Hayward Area Planning Association in multiple cases involving local and regional issues in central Alameda County. I have also represented the Sierra Club in multiple cases, as well as representing Golden Gate Audubon Society and the Planning and Conservation League.
Please call of you wish to arrange a consultation.
- Environmental Law
- Land Use Law
- Elections Law
- Free Consultation
30 minute free consultation, either by phone, video, or in person (arranged).
- Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
I will often offer a partial fee deferral for public interest work. Please call to discuss.
- French: Written
- Spanish: Spoken, Written
- Brown Univ
- Undergraduate Degree
- New Coll of CA School of Law
- Law Degree
- Harvard University
- Ph.D. (1976) | biochemistry & molecular biology
- thesis on molecular genetic regulation of bacteriophage lambda. (advisor, Prof. Mark Ptashne)
- California State Bar # 148396
- - Current
- Law Offices of Stuart M. Flashman
- Just the facts??
- First Post-election Thoughts (November 2018)
7 November 2018
- November 2018 General Election – Part IV – Local/Regional Ballot Measures
29 October 2018
- November 2018 Election Ballot comments – Part III – Local/Regional Candidates
28 October 2018
- November 2018 Election Comments – Part II – State Ballot Measures
23 October 2018
- Assessing the November 2018 Election Ballot – Part I – Statewide Offices
21 October 2018
- The June Primary is almost here!
20 May 2018
- Of Climate Change, Tipping Points, Paris, and Trump
4 June 2017
- DON’T PANIC!
9 November 2016
- November 2016 Election – Part 3 Candidates
23 October 2016