Gov & Administrative Law, Insurance Defense, Maritime Law
North Carolina, Ohio, Virginia
Claimed Lawyer Profile
Mr. Stancliff handles a broad spectrum of disputes and transactions involving the maritime industry, and variety of commercial, maritime and admiralty civil litigation matters in federal and state courts in Virginia and North Carolina.
Gov & Administrative Law
Administrative Law, Election Law, Government Contracts, Government Finance, Legislative & Government Affairs
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
United States Coast Guard
* Retired from the United States Coast Guard at the rank of Commander. Held wide array of legal, engineering and operational assignments in New York City, Newport, RI, Cleveland, OH, Honolulu, HI, San Francisco, CA, and Boston, MA. Coast Guard service concluded as Executive Assistant to the Coast Guard Commander, Atlantic Area and Defense Forces East in Portsmouth, Virginia.
* As a Judge Advocate, routinely advised Coast Guard and other federal officials regarding maritime operations, regulation of commercial shipping and licensed mariners, environmental compliance, criminal investigations and enforcement, maritime trade, maritime transportation security, investigation of major marine casualties, and international law issues.
* As Trial Attorney for the U.S. Department of Justice, litigated civil claims in Admiralty on behalf of the United States Government, including ship collisions, groundings, oil spills, contract disputes and law enforcement activities.
* Directed and coordinated complex civil and criminal investigations among numerous federal, state and international investigative agencies in maritime context.
* Served as the primary legal advisor to the federal incident command post in Boston supporting security operations for the 2004 Democratic National Convention.
* Formerly served as Special Assistant United States Attorney in the Districts of Maine and Rhode Island addressing allegations of oil pollution, MARPOL violations, and violent crime on the high seas.