Stephen L. BakerSeasoned and Experienced Attorney 30+ Years
- Family Law, Real Estate Law, Probate ...
I bring an unusually wide range of both legal and business experience that bring a unique depth and breadth the services that I provide, including, but not limited to, real estate, contracts, commercial law, and banking. My business background prior to law school provided me with many unique insights and a greater appreciation of the many interrelationships between the law and business.
My career actually began in community banks and savings and loans in Arlington and Houston. I ultimately served as the president of a newly-chartered national bank during its organization and start-up phases.
After fifteen years in business, I returned to school and earned my law degree in twenty-seven months. I graduated in the top eighth of my law school class, was fifth ranked oralist in moot court competition, won two AmJur Awards (Civil Procedure; Wills, Trusts and Estates), was on the Dean's List for two semesters, and became a member of the Order of the Lytae. I have actively practiced law since 1988.
After completing my legal education, I maintained a wide-ranging private practice, both in the office and the courtroom and served as an in-house general counsel of a privately held corporation, dealing with the negotiation and drafting of numerous contracts, as well as real estate and employee relations issues.
- Family Law
- Adoption, Child Custody, Child Support, Father's Rights, Guardianship & Conservatorship, Paternity, Prenups & Marital Agreements, Restraining Orders, Same Sex Family Law
- Real Estate Law
- Commercial Real Estate, Condominiums, Easements, Eminent Domain, Homeowners Association, Land Use & Zoning, Mortgages, Neighbor Disputes, Residential Real Estate, Water Law
- Probate Administration, Probate Litigation, Will Contests
- Business Law
- Business Contracts, Business Dissolution, Business Finance, Business Formation, Business Litigation, Franchising, Mergers & Acquisitions, Partnership & Shareholder Disputes
- Collaborative Law, Contested Divorce, Military Divorce, Property Division, Same Sex Divorce, Spousal Support & Alimony, Uncontested Divorce
- Estate Planning
- Guardianship & Conservatorship Estate Administration, Health Care Directives, Trusts, Wills
- Landlord Tenant
- Evictions, Housing Discrimination, Landlord Rights, Rent Control, Tenants' Rights
- Free Consultation
- English: Spoken, Written
- City of Bryan (Texas)
- Minicipal Judge
- South Texas College of Law
- J.D. (1988) | Law
- Honors: • Rank: Top 12.2%; GPA: 82.226 (3.28) • Order of the Lytae (1988) • Recipient: American Jurisprudence Award for Excellence in Pre-Trial Procedure (1986) • Recipient: American Jurisprudence Award for Excellence in Wills, Trusts, and Estates (1987) • Dean’s List (1987) • Who’s Who Among American Law Students" (1987) • Completed degree in 27 months • Ranked Fifth Oralist in LeRoy Jeffers Moot Court Intramural Competition (1986)
- Texas A&M University - College Station
- B.A. (1972) | History (Economics-minor)
- Manual of Credit and Commercial Law, 93rd Ed. (2001), National Association of Credit Management
- Personal Property and Landlords’ Liens in Texas.