Free Consultation: (843) 444-5702Tap to Call This Lawyer
Stephen Grooms

Stephen Grooms

Grooms & Thomas, LLC
  • Criminal Law, DUI & DWI, Personal Injury ...
  • South Carolina
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

J. Stephen Grooms is a lifelong resident of Conway, South Carolina. He took a job with the Horry County Solicitor's Office as prosecutor in 2011 to begin his career in criminal law. While working in the Solicitor’s Office Grooms handled over three thousand cases, and took numerous cases to trial achieving favorable results on cases ranging from drug offenses to murder. Grooms was recognized for his leadership and trial results and was promoted to Senior Assistant Prosecutor in 2014. In 2016 Grooms and a fellow prosecutor opened Grooms and Thomas, LLC. Grooms experience as a former prosecutor and criminal trial attorney provides the knowledge to recognize the issues in your case, and has provided the tools to represent you with confidence whether your case is a relatively minor matter or a serious felony charge.

When charged with a criminal offense the stakes are always high, there are many attorneys out there who claim to have experience but few who actually possess an extensive knowledge of criminal law and real trial experience to ensure your best defense. Before you decide who to hire make sure you ask your potential attorney about their actual experience, and then I would invite you to call me to see the difference.

Practice Areas
    Criminal Law
    Criminal Appeals, Drug Crimes, Expungement, Fraud, Gun Crimes, Internet Crimes, Sex Crimes, Theft, Violent Crimes
    DUI & DWI
    Personal Injury
    Animal & Dog Bites, Brain Injury, Car Accidents, Construction Accidents, Motorcycle Accidents, Premises Liability, Truck Accidents, Wrongful Death
    Traffic Tickets
    Suspended License
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
South Carolina
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Attorney / Partner
Grooms & Thomas, LLC
Charleston School of Law
J.D. (2010) | Law
Honors: Deans List
Placeholder image for education.
University of South Carolina - Columbia
B.S. (2005) | English, Criminology
Honors: Deans List
University of South Carolina - Columbia Logo
John R Justice Award
South Carolina Prosecution Commision
Professional Associations
Horry County Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
South Carolina State Bar  # 79104
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
45 Questions Answered
Q. Should this still be on my record as a misdemeanor?
A: When you pay a fine that is essentially pleading no contest, which has the same result as a guilty plea for purposes of your driving and criminal record. So unfortunately the answer is yes, this traffic citation should have been on your driving record. The expungement process generally takes anywhere from 2-4 months in my experience. The clerk has to submit the request and then it goes through a series of approvals before a Judge eventually signs an order for destruction of records. That order is then sent back to the Court and any law enforcement agencies that issued the charge or ticket, and SLED. (South Carolina Law Enforcement Division)
Q. Did a law pass or change where a person can get credit for being on house arrest prior to trial and sentencing?
A: Universal Citation: SC Code § 24-13-40 (2015) The computation of the time served by prisoners under sentences imposed by the courts of this State must be calculated from the date of the imposition of the sentence. However, when (a) a prisoner shall have given notice of intention to appeal, (b) the commencement of the service of the sentence follows the revocation of probation, or (c) the court shall have designated a specific time for the commencement of the service of the sentence, the computation of the time served must be calculated from the date of the commencement of the service of the sentence. In every case in computing the time served by a prisoner, full credit against the sentence must be given for time served prior to trial and sentencing, and may be given for any time spent under monitored house arrest. Provided, however, that credit for time served prior to trial and sentencing shall not be given: (1) when the prisoner at the time he was imprisoned prior to trial was an escapee from another penal institution; or (2) when the prisoner is serving a sentence for one offense and is awaiting trial and sentence for a second offense in which case he shall not receive credit for time served prior to trial in a reduction of his sentence for the second offense. Note "May be given for any time spent under monitored house arrest" - This means it is in the Courts, or more specifically the sentencing Judge's discretion whether or not to award credit for time spent on home detention.
Q. Can you get more than one 1st offense shoplifting? I had a 1st offense pending, was awaiting court, and got another.
A: In South Carolina a conviction as opposed to a pending charge is required to enhance a subsequent offense. Further it takes a minimum of 3 property crime convictions to enhance to a felony level property crime. Once you get to a felony level property crime, it carries up to 10 years in prison. I would recommend you call a criminal defense attorney in the area where you have court for a more detailed case evaluation.
View More Answers
Contact & Map
Grooms and Thomas, LLC
4593 Oleander Drive Unit C
Myrtle Beach, SC 29577
Telephone: (843) 444-5702
Monday: Open 24 hours
Tuesday: Open 24 hours (Today)
Wednesday: Open 24 hours
Thursday: Open 24 hours
Friday: Open 24 hours
Saturday: Open 24 hours
Sunday: Open 24 hours