Free Consultation: (503) 536-1737Tap to Call This Lawyer
Spencer  Aldrich

Spencer Aldrich

Committed to helping injured workers in Oregon.
  • Workers' Compensation, Personal Injury
  • Oregon
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

Workers' Compensation is extremely complex and I've spent most of my career learning it, and practicing it, so that i can help you get the benefits you're entitled to. I do it with compassion, skill, and an understanding of both sides of the system.

For many years I worked on "defense", which means I represented employers and an insurance company. It really wasn't for me, though. About 5 years ago I "switched sides" and began helping injured workers, and feel it was the right decision. I went to law school to help people, and I'm proud to be able to do that everyday. After working with a great practice owned by a pair of excellent attorneys, I started my own practice in late 2021.

When not practicing law, I like to shoot film photography, game, and enjoy the many animals my partner and I have (cats, dog, chickens, and honeybees). I moved to Oregon in 2009 and I've loved it ever since. I grew up in the Midwest, and went to law school in southern California, but have really settled in Oregon. It's fantastic.

Practice Areas
Workers' Compensation
Personal Injury
Car Accidents, Motorcycle Accidents
  • Free Consultation
    All consultations are free.
  • Contingent Fees
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Oregon State Bar
ID Number: 092699
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English
Professional Experience
Aldrich & Brunot, LLC
- Current
Spencer Aldrich and Zachary Brunot are two highly skilled and experienced attorneys helping injured workers throughout Oregon.
Aldrich Law, LLC
Associate Attorney
Schoenfeld & Schoenfeld, P.C.
Field Counsel
Liberty Mutual Insurance
Paralegal Coordinator
Liberty Mutual Insurance
Assistant General Counsel
Advantage Point Learning
In-House Counsel
Chapman University Fowler School of Law
J.D. (2009) | Law
Chapman University Fowler School of Law Logo
Miami University of Ohio
B.A. (2005) | History & Political Science
With Honors
Miami University of Ohio Logo
Professional Associations
Oregon Trial Lawyers Association
- Current
Activities: OTLA's 1000+ attorney members and support staff represent injured consumers, patients, workers, employees and all Oregonians. OTLA provides many tools and services to help you help your clients. These include immediate access to hundreds of colleagues through the OTLA listservs, cutting-edge Continuing Legal Education seminars, advocacy work to preserve and enhance your clients’ rights at the state and federal levels, first-rate professional publications, networking opportunities and more.
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Oregon State Bar - Workers' Comp Section
Executive Committee Member at Large
- Current
Activities: Member of the governing body for the WC section of the State Bar. I'm the co-chair of the Going Forward subcommittee, and also on the Bench Bar subcommittee.
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Multnomah County Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Oregon State Bar  # 092699
Member in Good Standing
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Articles & Publications
BIG WIN for Injured Workers; HB 4138
Aldrich Legal Blog
Don't wait for the clinic to schedule your referral!
Aldrich Legal Blog
MCO-h no!
Aldrich Legal Blog
Speaking Engagements
Effective and Ethical Communication in Workers' Compensation Matters, Oregon State Bar Association
What Every Attorney Needs to Know About Workers' Compensation, Multnomah County Bar Association
Continuing Education seminar designed to education non-WC attorneys about the WC system and how it may overlap with their practices.
Websites & Blogs
Aldrich & Brunot, LLC
Aldrich & Brunot, LLC - Blog
Legal Answers
4 Questions Answered
Q. What to do if Previous employer didnt process workers comp claim and I have to pay the medical expenses?
A: Sound like you were a Cal resident working for a Cal employer at the time of the injury, so jurisdiction would likely be in California's WC system (not Oregon's). You might consider posting this question in the CA forum, but really you should call a CA WC attorney.

If this were an Oregon WC matter, i'd say you have options: a formal claim could still be made so you could get the bill paid (and whatever other benefits you might need). I'd assume CA has similar protections, but I don't practice there so i can't say for sure. Call a CA WC attorney and they'll likely be able to help you.
Q. My job says they require me to come in an hour early before my shift. But I'm not being paid for that time.
A: Your question is more related to employment law and wage/hour than it is WC, but it doesn't pass my (WC lawyer) smell-test. You should be paid for the time you work. That's it. My recollection is that there's some, come in early and leave early or work extra today and leave early tomorrow. However, simply requiring someone to work additional hours for no wage is concerning.

I'd recommend you consult with BOLI and/or an employment attorney.

I can't give a good answer to the "can they fire me" part, but, again, i'm pretty sure that "hey worker, please work extra...for free...and if you don't we'll fire you" is going to get them in trouble. Again, call an employment lawyer and consider a BOLI wage and hour complaint.

Disclaimer: i'm not an employment attorney, i'm a workers' comp attorney.
... Read More
Q. I got a large burn at work. The first aid kit did not contain what I needed. Can I press charges?
A: The simple answer to your question is "probably not." As your injury was on the job, your remedy is the Oregon WC system and that generally prevents you from being allowed to sue your employer for negligence (i.e. your harm caused by their breach of a duty to keep appropriately stocked med kits). Also, "pressing charges" generally implies a criminal action with the police which seems unlikely (but is outside my expertise). Maybe OSHA/DCBS could be involved, but that's also outside my expertise.

From a WC perspective, if you sought professional medical care (ER, urgent care, etc.) you should be sure to notify your employer of the injury (if you haven't already) and make a WC claim. This will get the ball rolling on getting WC to pay the medical bills and potentially your lost wages if the doc took you off work or gave you restrictions that can't be accommodated.

If you just treated yourself with OTC stuff from the drug store and were not taken off-work by a doctor, making a WC claim probably isn't worth your time.
... Read More
View More Answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
Aldrich Law, LLc
3518 SW Corbett Ave.
Portland, OR 97239
Telephone: (503) 536-1737
Fax: (503) 462-1838
Monday: 9:30 AM - 6 PM (Today)
Tuesday: 9:30 AM - 6 PM
Wednesday: 9:30 AM - 6 PM
Thursday: 9:30 AM - 6 PM
Friday: 9:30 AM - 6 PM
Saturday: Closed
Sunday: Closed