Free Consultation: (703) 883-0880Tap to Call This Lawyer
Sonja Aoun

Sonja Aoun

Briglia Hundley, P.C.
  • Divorce, Family Law, Estate Planning ...
  • District of Columbia, Virginia
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial MediaResponsive Law

Sonja Aoun represents family law clients in all aspects of separation and divorce, including divorce planning/premarital agreements, collaborative divorces, negotiated settlements, and trials. Her estate planning practice ranges from the preparation of powers of attorney and advance medical directives to wills and complex trusts and special needs planning.

Sonja obtained her law degree from Georgetown University Law Center after graduating cum laude with a B.S. in Languages (Spanish) from Georgetown University. Starting in 2014, she has been named to the Virginia SuperLawyers list in the field of family law; she has been listed in the Washington, DC SuperLawyers since 2015.

She is a popular speaker at local Done with Divorce estate planning seminars and Second Saturday separation and divorce workshops and other women’s groups. She is a member of the family law sections of the Fairfax Bar Association and the Virginia State Bar, the Virginia Women Attorney’s Association, and a past member of the National Association of Professional Women.

Ms. Aoun represents high net worth individuals, professionals, government employees, military servicemembers and their spouses, and disabled individuals. She also has experience in custody modification and relocation cases, including cases involving aspects of international law. She is licensed to practice in both Virginia and Washington, D.C. She speaks Spanish and French, and resides with her husband and three children in Fairfax County, VA.

Practice Areas
    Collaborative Law, Contested Divorce, Military Divorce, Property Division, Same Sex Divorce, Spousal Support & Alimony, Uncontested Divorce
    Family Law
    Adoption, Child Custody, Child Support, Father's Rights, Guardianship & Conservatorship, Paternity, Prenups & Marital Agreements, Restraining Orders, Same Sex Family Law
    Estate Planning
    Health Care Directives, Trusts, Wills
    Probate Administration
  • Free Consultation
    Estate Planning clients receive a free initial telephone consultation.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
District of Columbia
District of Columbia Bar
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • Spanish: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Of Counsel
Briglia Hundley, P.C.
- Current
Owner, Attorney
Aoun Law Group, PLLC
Owner, Attorney
Aoun & Boone, P.C.
Dycio & Biggs
Owner, Attorney
Aoun & Stanford, P.C.
Georgetown University Law Center
Juris Doctor (2000)
Honors: Award of Achievement in Conflicts of Laws
Placeholder image for education.
Georgetown University
B.S. in Languages (1995) | Spanish Major
Honors: Graduated cum laude; Outstanding Achievement in Spanish Award; Certificate of Latin American Studies
Georgetown University Logo
Professional Associations
District of Columbia Bar
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Virginia State Bar
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Speaking Engagements
Estate Planning After Divorce: Your Next Steps, Done with Divorce, Virtual
Argent Bridge Advisors
Provided information tailored to people finishing or finished with the divorce process about key steps to take to protect themselves and their loved ones with estate planning documents.
Websites & Blogs
Sonja N. Aoun Profile Page
Legal Answers
7 Questions Answered
Q. If I’ve been in recovery and clean off drugs can I get my custody back?
A: It's great that you are taking steps to be and stay sober, and the longer that continues, the better. Courts are looking out for children's best interests, and that means parents with problems need to take steps to address them. That may include individual counseling, drug treatment, taking a parenting class, etc. Talk to an attorney in your area about things you can do to improve and demonstrate your ability to parent well, and good luck to you and your family.
Q. Who do I contact to see if the Court System has processed my final divorce documents? Ex wife’s lawyers filed the docs.
A: Some courts have this information online, but you can also call the Circuit Court clerk's office for the Virginia city or county where the divorce was filed. That's usually where you and/or ex lives.
Q. How can I get a subpoena without a lawyer? May I object to questions on interrogatories due to dress?
A: In some cases, you may request the clerk's office to issue a subpoena for you. The clerks cannot give you advice about how to request the subpoena, but many courts have forms available. A good place to start is the website of the court your legal matter is in. The Supreme Court of Virginia website also has some subpoena forms. You can make objections to interrogatories and other discovery documents, but duress is not one of the legal reasons to object. If you are a victim of domestic violence, your city or county has resources to help you. Often you can contact the court and request to speak with a victim advocate. An attorney can help you with both of these issues. You can also contact the local bar association to see whether they have a referral service if you are having trouble paying for an attorney.
View More Answers
Contact & Map
Briglia Hundley, P.C.
1921 Gallows Road
Suite 750
Tysons Corner, VA 22182
Telephone: (703) 883-0880
Monday: 8:30 AM - 5 PM
Tuesday: 8:30 AM - 5 PM
Wednesday: 8:30 AM - 5 PM
Thursday: 8:30 AM - 5 PM
Friday: 8:30 AM - 5 PM (Today)
Saturday: Closed
Sunday: Closed
Notice: All appointments are currently held remotely as a safety precaution due to COVID-19.