Free Consultation: (916) 985-2753Tap to Call This Lawyer
Sheri Lynn Hoffman

Sheri Lynn Hoffman

Hoffman & Hoffman
  • Estate Planning, Probate, Business Law
  • California
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&A

Sheri Hoffman attended UC Davis from 1987 to 1991, where she graduated with a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science. She then attended Golden Gate University School of Law in San Francisco from 1991-1994, where she graduated Law School as a member of the Golden Gate University School of Law’s Dean’s List. Sheri passed the bar on her first attempt.

After marrying Joseph in 1996, they formed the Law Offices of Hoffman & Hoffman. Sheri is a Certified Estate Planning Specialist and a member of Wealth Counsel. Sheri’s practice includes all elements necessary to draft a comprehensive estate plan, regardless of the size of your estate. She is proficient in handling all estate and trust administration after a loved one passes away, whether large or small. Sheri’s practice also includes service in the areas of conservatorships and guardianships.

Outside of the office, Sheri is busy raising her children and volunteering at their school. She raises thousands of dollars each year for school programs to help ensure children in the community get the best education possible. She also enjoys tennis, golf, and spending time outdoors with her family and friends.

Practice Areas
  • Estate Planning
  • Probate
  • Business Law
  • Free Consultation
    For new estate planning clients.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Hoffman & Hoffman
- Current
Partner and Co-Owner of busy civil law firm in Folsom, California.
Univ of California Davis
Undergraduate Degree
Placeholder image for education.
Golden Gate Univ School of Law
Law Degree
Placeholder image for education.
Best Lawyers
Best of Folsom
Professional Associations
El Dorado County Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Sacramento County Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
California State Bar # 173944
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Certified Specialist Estate Planning, Probate and Trust Law
State Bar of California
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
12 Questions Answered

Q. In my probate notes my petition is incomplete at item 2b. I did not print my name after executor. I need to file a
A: You would have to create the document on the numbered pleading paper and file it with the court responding to the additional information needed by the court. It needs to be signed and verified in order to be accepted. Here is a link to a sample :
Q. How do i see a will someone refuses to file in probate or show anyone in the state of california where the deceased live
A: The person that is holding the original will has 30 days to file the original with the county probate clerk in the county that the decedent was residing in at the time of his or her death. If they do not file within the 30 day period you can petition the court to force the person to file it.
Q. My grandma died in May and left her house to her three children my dad being the youngest child passed away .
A: Did you grandmother leave any will or trust documents that control the distribution of grandmother's estate assets? If so, you would have to review those documents to see if there is language in the documents that says what happens to a beneficiary's share of the estate if they die before grandma, ie does it go to their issue/descendants or does it lapse and go to the other named beneficiaries. This is a critical first question because the document controls. If it is silent then dad's share would pass to you and your sister and you would have beneficial rights. The document would still need to be reviewed by an attorney to see what duties/obligations uncle as the personal representative has.
Q. Dad died 5 yr ago no will. Sister never left. Wont let us in or sell. Says kids of siblings who died b4 dad dont count
A: I recommend that you meet with a probate attorney in your area because you will need to file a petition either for Probate or for Determination of Succession to Real Property (which petition is needed will be determined by the value of the real property) and you might even have to end up filing a partition action if sister won't agree to sell, but the probate court will need to be involved first. Your sister is incorrect regarding siblings that died before dad - if they died prior and had children at the time of their death, their share is distributed equally among their children.
Q. I am the administrator for my brother's estate. When can I sell his vehicle?
A: If the estate is being administered through the probate court you need to be appointed by the court and have Letters issued. Once that has been done, then the vehicle would need to be valued by the probate court referee. Only then would you be able to sell the vehicle. Also, please note, there are certain circumstances in which you have to give notice to the heirs/beneficiaries before you can sell assets. This would depend on the powers you are given by the court. Be sure to review these before selling so you are in compliance with the law.
Q. Does my moms small estate have to go through probate?
A: 401k and life insurance are beneficiary controlled - meaning if there is a surviving named beneficiary, then those types of accounts do not have to go through probate. However, if there is no beneficiary named, or the beneficiary named does not survive, then if the total assets are more than $150k then the estate must go through probate. If the total of the assets is under $150k, then you should explore using the Small Estate Affidavit procedure available outside the courts.
Q. Trustee has done nothing to liquidate assets after 3 years. Lawyer dropped us, what are the steps we can take?
A: As a beneficiary you have the right to petition the court for instructions and to force the trustee to take action. If the trustee has also breached their duties, you could in the same petition ask to have the trustee removed and/or ask for damages against the trustee. If you haven't received an accounting in the past 6 months, you will need to request one in writing prior to including that request to the court. A trustee has 60 days to provide the accounting and if they don't you can also request that the court order one but only after the 60 days has past (unless their is a compelling reason why you can't wait the 60 days).
Q. Am I entitled to view a copy of a will in which I am a beneficiary?
A: Most probate documents are part of the public record, including the deceased person's last will and testament. It would be attached as an exhibit to the Petition for Probate that is filed to start a probate case. Also, the original Will is required to be filed with the Probate Clerk in the same county. I would check the court website to see if you can pay to get a copy of the Petition for Probate online or you can go to the courthouse and get a copy.
Q. How much money can my mother give her children before she dies before some kind of tax or penalty kicks in?
A: Your mother can give any individual person up to $14,000 in any calendar year without having to report the gift to the IRS - meaning no 709 gift tax return to be filed and no gift tax to be paid for up to that amount. If she gives more than the $14,000 in any calendar year, she will have to report the gift and pay the appropriate tax.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
2600 E. Bidwell St. Ste. 240
2600 E. Bidwell St. Ste. 240
Folsom, CA 95630
Toll-Free: (916) 985-2753
Telephone: (916) 985-2753
Cell: (916) 985-2753
Fax: (916) 985-8429