Free Consultation: (805) 666-2055Tap to Call This Lawyer
Sergio C. Prado

Sergio C. Prado

Precision Legal by Sergio C. Prado
  • Estate Planning, Business Law
  • California
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&A

Greetings! I am Sergio, an Estate and Legacy Planning Attorney located in Ventura County, California. My legal journey is driven by a genuine desire to assist and support individuals and families in navigating the complexities of estate planning. I am a first generation Mexican-American, born and raised in Ventura County. Hablo Español.

Why Choose Me:

1. Compassion: I approach each case with genuine empathy, understanding the emotional aspects often associated with legal matters, particularly those involving legacies.

2. Patience: Estate planning requires careful consideration. I take the time to guide my clients through the intricacies of the legal process, ensuring they make informed decisions.

3. Community Commitment: Beyond my legal practice, I actively engage in the local community. This commitment reflects my belief in making a positive impact on the lives of those around me.

Choosing an attorney is a significant decision. I am here to provide expert guidance in estate and legacy planning. Feel free to reach out, and let's start securing your legacy together.

Practice Areas
Estate Planning
Health Care Directives, Trusts, Wills
Business Law
Business Contracts, Business Formation
Additional Practice Area
  • Wills and Living Trusts
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    Zelle Venmo
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
State Bar of California
ID Number: 350719
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Central District of California, Federal Court
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
  • Spanish: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Precision Legal by Sergio C. Prado
The Colleges of Law
Honors: Deans List
Placeholder image for education.
MABA Scholarship for Excellence in Education and Community Involvement
Mexican American Bar Association
Excellence in Education and Community Involvement
US Senate
Excellence in Education and Community Involvement
US Congress
Excellence in Education and Community Involvement
Ventura County Board of Supervisors
Excellence in Education and Community Involvement
City of Oxnard
Excellence in Education and Community Involvement
City of Port Hueneme
Professional Associations
State Bar of California  # 350719
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Ventura Center for Dispute Settlement
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
3 Questions Answered
Q. Can I add a family member to a deed under a joint ownership, then move my portion of the ownership into a living trust?
A: If you're the sole property owner, adding someone to your California property is feasible, but it's essential to be mindful of potential impacts on property taxes. It's recommended to consult with your accountant to understand the ramifications of transferring real estate during your lifetime. Opting for a trust at death might be more advisable due to potential effects on capital gains taxes associated with lifetime transfers.

Various taxes are involved in such transactions, such as property documentary transfer taxes, affordable housing-related taxes, capital gains taxes, and property taxes. For those new to navigating these tax intricacies, it's beneficial to analyze each tax separately to avoid confusion. Seek guidance from your CPA or tax professional for a more streamlined process.

In California, you can include a family member on a deed through joint ownership and later transfer your portion to a living trust. This typically involves using a grant deed or quitclaim deed, ensuring it includes all necessary legal elements, and recording it with the county recorder's office.

After establishing joint ownership, transferring your interest to a living trust can be achieved by executing a new deed. Consider the tax implications and how these transfers impact your estate plan, as well as the rights and responsibilities related to the property for both parties.

Before proceeding, it's advisable to seek legal advice to ensure compliance with legal requirements, understand the specifics of your situation, and consider all potential implications of these transfers.
... Read More
Q. My parents had an a and b trust my mom died and my father made a new trust without honoring my mothers wishes
A: Certainly, Sergio. Here's a revised version:

The accurate response hinges on the precise language outlined in the trust documents.

In our family, both sets of parents, including my in-laws, as well as my wife's and my revocable trusts, were structured identically. The irrevocable status only takes effect upon the demise of **both** original granting trustees.

Following the passing of one original trustee, the surviving trustee maintains full authority to make modifications to the trust as they deem appropriate.

However, in your parents' situation, only a thorough examination of the original trust by a qualified attorney can provide a definitive answer.
Q. Can I file a suit against a company after I receive the Right to Sue? Only have 90 days. Can I file it myself or?????
A: When you receive the Right to Sue notice, it indicates that you have the green light to file a lawsuit against the company within the specified timeframe, typically 90 days. You can file the suit yourself, but considering the legal complexities involved, it's advisable to consult with an attorney.
View More Answers
Contact & Map
Precision Legal by Sergio C. Prado
County Sq. Dr.
Ventura, CA 93003
Telephone: (805) 666-2055