Free Consultation: (925) 913-0275Tap to Call This Lawyer
Scott Jordan

Scott Jordan

Jordan Law Office
  • Bankruptcy, Estate Planning, Probate...
  • California
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

I represent individuals and small to medium sized businesses in bankruptcy, foreclosure defense and debt consolidation matters. For individuals, I represent clients in Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 bankruptcy proceedings, including adversary proceedings, including 2nd home mortgage lien stripping, redemption of vehicles and student loan reductions. For businesses, I provide services related to the winding down of a business, board and management consultations and bankruptcy debt consolidation in Chapter 11.

In conjunction with my bankruptcy practice, I also provide estate planning, probate and trust administration representation. The best way to avoid probate is to plan properly by drafting a will and a trust. However, sometimes probate is required and I have the experience to guide you through this legal process.

Practice Areas
  • Bankruptcy
  • Estate Planning
  • Probate
  • Business Law
  • Collections
  • Free Consultation
    I provide a free 30 minute telephone consultation to explore your legal concerns and options.
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    My fees are competitive. For many of my services, I charge a flat rate fee. For services not covered by a flat rate, my hourly rate is $350.00.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
9th Circuit
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • German
Professional Experience
Jordan Law Office
- Current
Hill Physicians Medical Group
University of Southern California Gould School of Law
J.D. | Law
University of Southern California Gould School of Law Logo
St. Mary's College
M.S. | Heath Services Administration
Honors: Business Planning Marketing
Placeholder image for education.
Gustavus Adolphus College
B.A. | History and Political Science
Placeholder image for education.
Professional Associations
National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Contra Costa County Bar Association
- Current
Activities: Bankruptcy Section Small and Solo Practice Section Estate Planning Section
Placeholder image for professional associations.
California Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Board Certified - Diplomate
American College of Healthcare Executives
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
12 Questions Answered

Q. Will my special needs daughter lose her section 8 benefits if I put the house I rent to her in her special needs trust?
A: It's hard to say without additional information. However, generally, since your daughter does not control the SNT, she does not have ownership of the house. Since she is not the owner, her section 8 should not be affected. Except that since the money is being paid to her SNT as rent and that money is for her benefit, then section 8 could be terminated. I would suggest consulting with a local estate planning attorney who can investigate this for you and perhaps find alternative ways to protect the house for your daughter's benefit.
Q. At the same time you file probate forms, do you also have to file the information into the newpapers?
A: Yes, you are required to have the Notice of Probate Petition published prior to the first hearing. Failure to do so will result in additional delay and the court will not appoint an administrator or issue Letters.
Q. How do I begin probate if I am not the executor?
A: You can file a petition for probate with the county court. The filing fee in California is $435. You can either nominate the person named as executor or someone else as the administrator of the estate.
Q. Probate Trust Attorney Fees in California
A: The attorney can only be paid if the judge approves the fee. The attorney will need to file a petition for fees. If the attorney is trying to get you to pay before hand, maybe s/he is not the best attorney for you.
Q. My sister has POA and is trustee to my mother's trust. She is incompetent. I want an acounting of the trust.
A: If she does not voluntarily provide an accounting, you will need to petition the court for an order of accounting. If she is also incompetent, you can challenge her status as trustee and try to have her removed.
Q. Is it a required to file an Affidavit of death after someone dies?
A: The new trustee must begin the administration of the trust, which includes filing the Affidavit Death of Trustee with the county recorder. There is much more to do and the successor trustee would be wise to contact an estate planning attorney to consult on what is required to administer the trust. Failure to act could cause substantial legal problems for the successor trustee.
Q. Is a will made in Georgia good in California?
A: Assuming that is meets the statutory requirements of a will in California, yes, it should be valid in California. If you have any concern, you would be wise to have it reviewed by a California estate planning attorney.
Q. A new landlord took over on May 1st made no contact with my until the 20th. Do I owe them the full months rent?
A: You owe for the full month of May.
Q. I am disabled and need to file a bankruptcy, what paper work do I need to bring with me to the initial consultation?
A: You should have your most recent free annual credit report. A copy of your most recent bank statement and tax return. You should also bring 6 months worth of disability checks to show income.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
Jordan Law Offices
18 Crow Canyon Court
Suite 280
San Ramon, CA 94583
Toll-Free: (925) 913-0275