Free Consultation: (804) 843-3656Tap to Call This Lawyer
Samantha Bohannon

Samantha Bohannon

Bohannon & Associates, PLLC
  • Criminal Law, Divorce, DUI & DWI...
  • Virginia
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

Samantha Bohannon focuses her practice in the areas of Criminal Law, DUI, Traffic Violations, and Family Law. Before opening her own firm, Mrs. Bohannon served as a Magistrate for Region Six, which includes Richmond, Henrico, New Kent, Williamsburg, York/Poquoson, James City, Gloucester, Mathews, Middlesex, King and Queen, King William, West Point and Charles City. Mrs. Bohannon's prestigious position has given her a unique understanding on probable cause and common errors law enforcement officers typically make. Often times law enforcement has more than enough evidence to convict you, but that doesn't mean you're guilty. Not only is it the Commonwealth's burden to prove you are guilty, but it is also their duty to follow the law. Mrs. Bohannon's years of experience as a Magistrate makes her especially skilled in spotting suppression issues that could keep you out of jail. Don't settle for the attorneys who tell you that they will "hold your hand through a guilty plea" or "work hard to get you a deal." Instead, call Samantha Bohannon and have her find a way to keep you out of jail.

Practice Areas
  • Criminal Law
  • Divorce
  • DUI & DWI
  • Family Law
  • Traffic Tickets
  • Estate Planning
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Bohannon & Associates, PLLC
- Current
Virginia Magistrate
Appalachian School of Law
J.D. (2012)
Honors: Willard Owens Award
Appalachian School of Law Logo
James Madison University
B.S. (2008) | Financial Economics
James Madison University Logo
Willard Owens Award
Appalachian School of Law
Professional Associations
Virginia State Bar # 84092
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Websites & Blogs
Bohannon & Associates, PLLC
Legal Answers
9 Questions Answered

Q. Can my husband show up with me to the preliminary hearing and drop the domestic assault charges on me that he filed?
A: Short answer, no. Once charges have been taken out, the only person who can dismiss the charges is the Judge. The Commonwealth attorney can ask for them to be dismissed, but only the Judge can dismiss them.
Q. I am 16, living in Henrico Virginia. If a cop sees me after curfew what happens?
A: Depends on why you are out after curfew. If you are alone, without parental permission, and going home after a school event or work, then nothing will happen. However, if you are doing something you shouldn't be doing, you may get ticketed for being out past curfew and then whatever else you are doing that you shouldn't be doing. You could get lucky and the officer could just take you home or let you go on a warning, but that depends on the officer, your demeanor with him or her, and why you were stopped.
Q. I had a previous driving while ability impaired (DWAI) in New York. Would that count as a first DUI offense in Virginia?
A: In Virginia, the Courts county any similarly written statute from another state as a previous offense for DUI. So if NY's DWAI is written substantially similar to VA's DUI laws, then it would be considered your second offense. However, if there is enough difference, you or your lawyer could argue that it should not be a second offense, but a first offense (and this is assuming that there are no other circumstances in your case that may lead to a different outcome such as dismissal or reduction).
Q. my husband cheated and got another woman pregnant but is sending her stuff for the child will he have to pay c.s?
A: Virginia looks at it as the support is for the child, not the parent. If he acknowledges that he is the child's father, then, yes, he could be responsible for child support. That being said, there are guidelines that most judges follow when awarding child support that take into account how many children he has to support, the cost of care for the child, the income of both the father and mother, among other things.
Q. My husband is in Georgia and I live in Virginia. He already filed for divorce in Georgia. What should I do?
A: If he meets the residency requirements for Georgia, he can file in Georgia. If you wish to be represented by an attorney, you would need to find a Georgia attorney, or find a Virginia attorney who is willing to partner with someone in Georgia.
Q. what's the sentence for 4th offence marijuana charge all misdemeanors in the state over virginia
A: It really depends on what type of marijuana charge you receive (possession verse distribution) and what your criminal history is.
Q. Can i be charged if i called police on someone but i got charged for something they found.
A: If they found it, you can be charged with it. Possession of Marijuana is a Class 1 Misdemeanor, punishable for up to 1 year in jail and or a $2500 fine. Whether you will be convicted of it is another question. You should speak with an attorney about possible defenses if you are charged with a crime in this incident.
Q. if I am subpoenaed to court to testify as a witness and do not appear, what are the outcomes? served 3 business before
A: If you do not appear, you can be given a Capias for Failure to Appear and possibly go to jail for not appearing. It is best to appear than to not appear. You can try talking with the Commonwealth Attorney to see if they will need you to testify that day, but if you have been subpoenaed, you need to go to Court.
Q. I filed assault charges against my soon to be ex husband and his mother. What happens next?
A: If you went to the Magistrate, and a warrant was issued, then once your soon to be ex-husband and his mother are arrested on the charges, they will be given a court date, and you will hear from the Commonwealth Attorney about what the incident was. If you went to the police and filed a report, then you can check with the Officer you filed the report with to see if any charges were taken out. If so, then once they are arrested and given a court date, you will hear from the Commonwealth Attorney.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
Bohannon & Associates, PLLC
704 Main Street
West Point, VA 23181
Toll-Free: (804) 843-3656
Telephone: (804) 843-3656
Fax: (804) 843-4778
12001 Courthouse Circle
New Kent, VA 23124