Free Consultation: (480) 464-1111Tap to Call This Lawyer
Ryan K Hodges

Ryan K Hodges

Jackson White
  • Elder Law, Estate Planning, Probate
  • Arizona
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ABlawgsearchSocial Media

Ryan Hodges practices in the areas of probate, estate and trust administration, and elder law, including long-term care planning and special needs trusts. He is also a Registered Patent Attorney with experience in patent preparation and prosecution.

Bar Admissions: Ryan was admitted to the State Bar of Arizona in 2008. He is licensed to practice in all state courts, the United States District Court for the District of Arizona, and the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit. He is also licensed to practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office.

Education and Honors: Ryan earned his undergraduate degree in information systems, summa cum laude, from the W.P. Carey School of Business at Arizona State University. After working for a year as a software engineer, he attended the Sandra Day O’Connor College of Law at Arizona State University and graduated magna cum laude in 2008. During law school, Ryan served as an articles editor for Jurimetrics: The Journal of Law, Science, & Technology and completed the law school’s certificate program for Law, Science, and Technology. He also completed a judicial externship with the Honorable Daniel A. Barker at the Arizona Court of Appeals.

Professional Activities and Experience: Ryan is a member of the Arizona State Bar. He is a member of the State Bar of Arizona Elder Law, Mental Health and Special Needs Planning Section, Probate and Trust Law Section, and Intellectual Property Law Section.

Practice Areas
  • Elder Law
  • Estate Planning
  • Probate
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    Flat fees are available for many services
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • Tagalog: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Jackson White
- Current
Sandra Day O'Connor College of Law, Arizona State University
J.D. (2008)
Sandra Day O'Connor College of Law, Arizona State University Logo
Professional Associations
State Bar of Arizona
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Websites & Blogs
Jackson White Probate Site
Legal Answers
76 Questions Answered

Q. I have a General PoA for my elder dad, but bank requires a Durable poa. How can I get one if he's not cognizant?
A: If you dad is in Pennsylvania, then you should probably consult an attorney there regarding options. In Arizona, most attorneys draft all POAs as durable one, but the law may be different in PA.
Q. Can I file probate for property my father has in AZ?
A: It is possible for you to apply to be appointed as the personal representative in Arizona to handle the AZ property. You then proceed more or less like a normal probate. However, the process is simpler if your sister files to have her authority recognized in Arizona rather than having someone else appointed.
Q. Can rest homes deny family visitation?
A: That is unusual. You may want to talk with a guardianship attorney about the situation. Does the brother-in-law have a power-of-attorney for your father-in-law? You may need to get the court involved to order disclosure of information and visitation privileges.
Q. My mom died almost a year ago her home is in Probateontest I m the only one on it. Water company wont turn water on
A: If the home is in probate, then the personal representative should be able to get the water turned back on.
Q. Should I contest will & what are possible outcomes? Father created will & marries after terminal brain cancer diagnosis.
A: The short answer is that you can contest the will and estate distributions because you are his son. However, the outcome is far from certain one way or the other. You should seek a consultation with an attorney to review your father’s entire estate plan and possibly also his medical records. Additional information about the spouse would also be helpful.
Q. My mother passed recently involved in a class action lawsuit, with no will. My sister wants me to waive the bond she
A: The bond serves to insure that your sister properly administers the estate. If she steals assets from the estate and does not have them to return, then you could get reimbursed from the bond. Waiving the bond does not absolve the personal representative from liability to mismanagement, but the bond provides an alternative payor source if mismanagement occurs.
Q. My mom in stepdad owned a house as joints tenants. My mom died 6 months before my stepdad.
A: If a house in owned as joint tenants with rights of survivorship, then the surviving joint owner becomes the sole owner upon the death of the other joint owner. Thus, your step-dad would be the sole owner when he died, and the house would pass according to his estate plan, and if none, then to his heirs as determined by the laws where he lives. So short answer is that you are probable not entitled to 50% of the house.
Q. My friend died but before he did he sent a letter to his financial advisor stating he wanted to leave me 50%.
A: The letter could be construed as a will if it meets the requirements for such. You should consult with an attorney and have him or her review the letter to see if it is a valid will. If the estate is already in probate, you may need to act quickly as there are deadlines that may affect your rights.
Q. Can a child of a deceased who has p of a while the deceased is still living transfer money from accounts before or after
A: It looks like your questions was cut-off. Please resubmit it.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
Jackson White PC
40 N Center St Ste 200
Mesa, AZ 85201
Telephone: (480) 464-1111
Fax: (480) 464-5692
Jackson White in Scottsdale
5635 N Scottsdale Rd Ste 170
Scottsdale, AZ 85250
Telephone: (480) 464-1111
Fax: (480) 464-5692
Jackson White in the West Valley
7972 W Thunderbird Rd Ste 105
Peoria, AZ 85381
Telephone: (480) 464-1111
Fax: (480) 464-5692