Free Consultation: (214) 779-7704Tap to Call This Lawyer
Robert Allen Thornton

Robert Allen Thornton

Thornton Law, PLLC
  • Divorce, Family Law, Criminal Law...
  • Texas
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

I grew up in South Georgia where I was raised on traditional values and southern cooking. It comes down to minding your manners and finding joy in the simple things, really. I was always near woods or a farm. Even as a child I found peace in those woods and being around horses, cows and dogs. I was trusted with firearms at a young age. Hard to imagine a 12 year old boy, alone in the woods with a rifle these days. I know what it means to take on a responsibility. I know the value of someone's trust.

Coming from a long line of musicians, I played in bands professionally, even doing a stint at Disney World. I still record from time to time. Music heals many wounds. And draws us together.

I have two children and two dogs. The wife decided to split, so I know what that feels like.

I went to law school in Alabama where I met some Texans. Texas and Texans struck me as different and my kind of people. So, here I am. I do love Texas.

In the past fourteen years I have practiced divorce, custody and criminal law in Texas. I have seen the good and certainly the bad. People make mistakes and people have mistakes done to them. Sometimes, you just need a little help. When you have a legal problem on top of an emotional one, it is mighty hard to sort through it yourself. That is where I come in. I know the law, and I know what going through a divorce feels like.

I don't believe in drawing a case out for no good reason. If you need to split the sheets, best get it done quick and turn the page. Problem is, not everybody feels that way. Most folks don't really want a trial. So, get the thing set, get ready, then settle up. The good news is, it will end. I will be with you. Do right by me, and I'll do right by you.

If you are having some legal trouble, give me a call. I can help you.

Practice Areas
  • Divorce
  • Family Law
  • Criminal Law
  • Domestic Violence
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    Our clients can pay online.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English
Professional Experience
Thornton Law, PLLC
- Current
Samford University, Cumberland School of Law
J.D. (2000)
Placeholder image for education.
University of North Alabama
B.S. (1996) | Music, Business
Placeholder image for education.
Professional Associations
Texas State Bar # 24048839
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Legal Answers
15 Questions Answered

Q. How do I get my 21 yo daughter out of her dad's house w/her stuff safely?
A: If you and she are concerned about her safety, then she should get out of there and leave the stuff. Otherwise, you might be able to get a restraining order.
Q. My wife filed papers her self to divorce me. I have no problem with this however the vehicle she has in her possession
A: Your wife will have to agree to assume the note on the car. If refuses to cooperate, then you will need to call a temporary order hearing. In the hearing you will need to ask the judge to order her to assume the note if she is to keep the car. That will then need to reduce what the judge says to an enforceable order. So, if she does not willingly refinance the car into her name, a lawyer will be handy to take her to court to either take on the note or give the car back.
Q. I am looking to find a lawyer for a prohibited an item in a tdcj correctional facility case.
A: I have worked these cases before. I have also worked cases in Abilene. Click on my profile and email me to discuss.
Q. If you pay for a good lawyer to represent you How likely is it for the judge to reinstate your probation.
A: Much more likely than if you went it on your own. For example, even though I am a lawyer, whenever I have needed legal help, having someone else represent me always made things go smoother. So, the issue is not so much will having a good lawyer guarantee a successful outcome, it is when you're under the gun, it is better to have someone, the best someone you can afford, to speak for you.
Q. I have been cohabiting with my fiancé with my kids for 3 yrs. He abused me now wants me out of our home. Filed a PO.
A: My question to you is who owns the home, and what time of home is it? Also, it sounds like leaving is the best thing to do. Usually in the initial protective order, called an ex parte protective order, there is a "kick-out" order, kicking the abuser out until the hearing.
Q. Hey if I get in a fight with my girlfriends step dad and I'm 16 will I get charges pressed on me?
A: The short answer is, it is possible. You would go to a juvenile court, though. Don't talk to the stepdad and let the dust settle.
Q. Is refusing to comply with some divorce decree provisions cause to appeal the decree? Is J of P court an alternative?
A: No to both questions. You have to enforce the decree in a district court. If it is a family district court, and the provision involves the children, you have to go back to the family court. If the provision resulted from an agreement that could be enforced as a contract you could file in a civil district court.
Q. 50 in few months looking to divorce. No place to go and not much money at this time. What can i ask for?
A: The short answer is yes. You can ask for some help while the case is pending for sure. Whether you could get spousal maintenance after the case is over, depends on your situation and how long you have been married. You would have to file the case and set a hearing for temporary orders. There, you would ask the court for help to get on your feet. He can only be ordered to pay from a proven source of funds though. Any money lying around is presumed to be community property anyway. If there is no liquid cash, the amount you get will depend on how much he makes.
Q. I've lived in Bexar County for close to 2 years. If you are in Dallas, would you still be able to help me??
A: I love San Antonio. Click on my profile and send me a message there and we'll see what we can do.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
Thornton Law, PLLC
15851 Dallas Pkwy
Addison, TX 75001
Telephone: (214) 779-7704