Free Consultation: (816) 287-3787Tap to Call This Lawyer
Richard C Simons

Richard C Simons

KC Defense Counsel
  • Traffic Tickets, DUI & DWI, Criminal Law...
  • Missouri, Oklahoma
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

Born in Kansas City, Missouri
Raised in Richmond and Kearney, Missouri
Graduated Suma Cum Laude from William Jewel College in Liberty Missouri
Graduated from the University of Missouri-Kansas City-School of law
Numerous Dean’s List and Honors in Academic Career
Multiple Awards
Practicing law for over 10 years
Licensed in Missouri and Oklahoma.
Regional Kansas City, Missouri attorney; situated in historic “Rockhill Ridge” Brookside community specialized in amending traffic tickets in the Kansas City, Missouri Metropolitan area

Practice Areas
  • Traffic Tickets
  • DUI & DWI
  • Criminal Law
  • Animal & Dog Law
  • Domestic Violence
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Senior Partner
KC Defense Counsel
- Current
Criminal Defense firm Kansas City
Owning Partner
- Current
Traffic and Criminal law in Kansas City
Northland Sonic Drive Ins
- Current
University of Missouri - Kansas City School of Law
J.D. (2008) | Law
William Jewell College
B.A. (2004) | Psychology
Honors: Suma Cum Laude
Trial advocacy
The Order of the Barristers
Excellence in trial advocacy
Excellence In Criminal Defense Law
Lawyers of Distinction
Excellence In Criminal Defense Law
Professional Associations
The Missouri Bar # 63245
National Trial Lawyers
- Current
Lawyers of Distinction
- Current
National Academy of Criminal Defense Attorneys
- Current
The order of the Barristers
- Current
Articles & Publications
Driving on the Sly
Speaking Engagements
Race and the Justice System, KC Caffeine Podcasts on News and Politics, Raytown Missouri
KC Caffiene
Cisco Networking
Windows Network
Legal Answers
14 Questions Answered

Q. Can a court enter a plea of guilty for you, if you fail to appear for a traffic violation?
A: In general no a plea cannot be entered for you. <a href=""></a> <a href="">Speedingticketkc twitterfeed</a> <a href="">Facebook Page</a> <a href="">Google Plus</a>
Q. Is a vehicle considered as derelict because you haven't gotten it tagged
A: I honestly have never heard of a derelict vehicle but I have heard of a citation for an unregistered one. Whether your vehicle is on the road or not, you need to have it registered as soon as possible in order to stop receiving further citations.
Q. Do I need a lawyer for a speeding violation in Lyon County, going 26 MPH over the 70 MPH speed limit? I live in MO.
A: Assuming this is your only offense and you are a non-cdl driver, no you will not lose your license. Do you need to get an attorney, Yes I recommend getting an attorney and getting your ticket amended to a non-moving violation. In Missouri they department of revenue adds points to your record and if you get enough your license can be suspended. Insurance companies will check your driving record when you renew or look for new insurance. Because you got a speeding ticket, they will raise your rates because they will assume you are a riskier driver. The amendment process is quite easy and costs generally between $150-$300 in fines and I charge a flat fee of $75 a ticket. Get a lawyer and get this taken care of.
Q. Can a nonviolent felon in Missouri own or possess a pistol or other firearm that is NOT black powder?
A: The current answer is no. This is actually an interesting question because the Missouri Supreme court is going to decide the answer to your question very soon. The Missouri supreme court in August of 2015 ruled in the case of State of Missouri vs. McCoy, that it was constitutional for the Missouri legislature to keep firearms out of felons hands. However the court is taking up a case out of St. Louis on a similar question asking the same right. We shall see what the court says. Below is the statute and punishment for possession. 571.070. 1. A person commits the crime of unlawful possession of a firearm if such person knowingly has any firearm in his or her possession and: (1) Such person has been convicted of a felony under the laws of this state, or of a crime under the laws of any state or of the United States which, if committed within this state, would be a felony; or (2) Such person is a fugitive from justice, is habitually in an intoxicated or drugged condition, or is currently adjudged mentally incompetent. 2. Unlawful possession of a firearm is a class C felony. 3. The provisions of subdivision (1) of subsection 1 of this section shall not apply to the possession of an antique firearm.
Q. In the state of Missouri how long do they have to charge you
A: This question all depends on the crime that was allegedly committed. Missouri Revised statute has a long list of crimes and the statute of limitations on filing. I will post the entire statute below but will summarize in the following sentences. Homicide and higher end sex crimes have no statute of limitations and can be charged whenever. The rest is the following directly from the statute: (1) For any felony, three years, except as provided in subdivision (4) of this subsection; (2) For any misdemeanor, one year; (3) For any infraction, six months; After this I have included the rest of the statute because there are a several different exceptions 556.036. 1. A prosecution for murder, rape in the first degree, forcible rape, attempted rape in the first degree, attempted forcible rape, sodomy in the first degree, forcible sodomy, attempted sodomy in the first degree, attempted forcible sodomy, or any class A felony may be commenced at any time. 2. Except as otherwise provided in this section, prosecutions for other offenses must be commenced within the following periods of limitation: (1) For any felony, three years, except as provided in subdivision (4) of this subsection; (2) For any misdemeanor, one year; (3) For any infraction, six months; (4) For any violation of section 569.040, when classified as a class B felony, or any violation of section 569.050 or 569.055, five years. 3. If the period prescribed in subsection 2 of this section has expired, a prosecution may nevertheless be commenced for: (1) Any offense a material element of which is either fraud or a breach of fiduciary obligation within one year after discovery of the offense by an aggrieved party or by a person who has a legal duty to represent an aggrieved party and who is himself or herself not a party to the offense, but in no case shall this provision extend the period of limitation by more than three years. As used in this subdivision, the term "person who has a legal duty to represent an aggrieved party" shall mean the attorney general or the prosecuting or circuit attorney having jurisdiction pursuant to section 407.553, for purposes of offenses committed pursuant to sections 407.511 to 407.556; and (2) Any offense based upon misconduct in office by a public officer or employee at any time when the defendant is in public office or employment or within two years thereafter, but in no case shall this provision extend the period of limitation by more than three years; and (3) Any offense based upon an intentional and willful fraudulent claim of child support arrearage to a public servant in the performance of his or her duties within one year after discovery of the offense, but in no case shall this provision extend the period of limitation by more than three years. 4. An offense is committed either when every element occurs, or, if a legislative purpose to prohibit a continuing course of conduct plainly appears, at the time when the course of conduct or the defendant's complicity therein is terminated. Time starts to run on the day after the offense is committed. 5. A prosecution is commenced for a misdemeanor or infraction when the information is filed and for a felony when the complaint or indictment is filed. 6. The period of limitation does not run: (1) During any time when the accused is absent from the state, but in no case shall this provision extend the period of limitation otherwise applicable by more than three years; or (2) During any time when the accused is concealing himself from justice either within or without this state; or (3) During any time when a prosecution against the accused for the offense is pending in this state; or (4) During any time when the accused is found to lack mental fitness to proceed pursuant to section 552.020.
Q. victim gets shot and robbed and the defended takes it to trial and the victim gets killed during trial does it get drop
A: This is all left up to the prosecutor if they have enough evidence or if the judge feels their is not enough evidence on motion to dismiss. But there is a bigger problem here, this case could get amended from robbery and assault with a deadly weapon to murder in the second degree. Under Missouri statute Section 565.021.2, murder in the second is: "A person commits the crime of murder in the second degree if he: (1) Knowingly causes the death of another person or, with the purpose of causing serious physical injury to another person, causes the death of another person; or (2) Commits or attempts to commit any felony, and, in the perpetration or the attempted perpetration of such felony or in the flight from the perpetration or attempted perpetration of such felony, another person is killed as a result of the perpetration or attempted perpetration of such felony or immediate flight from the perpetration of such felony or attempted perpetration of such felony. 2. Murder in the second degree is a class A felony, and the punishment for second degree murder shall be in addition to the punishment for commission of a related felony or attempted felony, other than murder or manslaughter." If I was the defendant I would be seriously worried.
Q. I have one ticket in Jackson county missouri for trespassing. The witness, my sister, did not show up for the hearing.
A: It is tough to have a case if there are no witnesses. If your sister is the only witness and refuses to testify, then the prosecution has no evidence and will probably drop the case. However, since there was a ticket I am guessing a police officer might be able to provide testimony, if that is the case then there is evidence against you. If it is Jackson county you can contact the public defenders office, my guess is that you are in Kansas City Municipal court, in which you can still request a public defender. Either way you should consult an attorney.
Q. What kind of penalty am I looking at for doing 100 mph in a 50 mph zone and resisting arrest by fleeing
A: Well there would appear to be multiple violations committed here. The first I will focus on is Section 304.012.1, commonly known as "careless and Imprudent" which makes careless driving a Class B misdemeanor which is punishable by a $500 fine and or six months in jail, and 4 points on your license. The second one could be that you put the officer at risk by making him flee which is called Aggravated Endangerment of an Emergency Responder which is a class c misdemeanor( 15 days in jail) and 12 points on your license which is an automatic suspension. The final part is the resisting arrest, if the prosecutor feels you put people at risk for driving at such a high speed, the prosecutor could charge you with a class e felony which is up to 4 years in jail. So look at losing your license and possible jail time, I highly recommend hiring an attorney.
Q. If a 16 almost 17 year old gets pregnant by a23 year old that she is in a relationship with could he get in trouble?
A: They most certainly can get in trouble. The crime is statutory sodomy Section 566.064 of the missouri revised statutes states the following. 566.064. 1. A person commits the crime of statutory sodomy in the second degree if being twenty-one years of age or older, he has deviate sexual intercourse with another person who is less than seventeen years of age. 2. Statutory sodomy in the second degree is a class C felony.
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
KC Defense Counsel
2024 Swift Street
Suite 206
North Kansas City, MO 64116
Toll-Free: (816) 287-3787
Telephone: (816) 287-3787
6301 Rockhill Rd.
Kansas City, MO 64131
Toll-Free: (816) 398-8772
Telephone: (816) 398-8772
Cell: (816) 519-2014
Fax: (816) 897-1090