Randy Young is a partner in the Baton Rouge office of Kean Miller. He joined the firm in 1992 and practices in the areas of energy, telecommunications, utility regulation, pilotage regulation, and also in environmental litigation. Randy has 25 years of experience in electric utility regulation and environmental law.
He has represented industrial manufacturing, refining, and related companies before the Louisiana Public Service Commission (LPSC) and the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC). He has represented independent generation companies and power marketers in matters before the LPSC and has represented a telecommunications company in multi-state regulatory complaint proceedings. Randy has also represented industry associations in matters before the Louisiana Pilotage Commission.
Randy has extensive experience in complex toxic tort litigation, class action proceedings and settlements, insurance claims litigation, and he has represented clients in connection with environmental remediation and Superfund/CERCLA issues and litigation.
Randy is an AV-rated by Martindale-Hubbell, and was elected to The Best Lawyers in America (Woodward White, Inc) in 2007-2020 by his peers. He was named by Best Lawyers as a Baton Rouge Lawyer of the Year in Administrative/Regulatory Law for 2018. Randy is also listed among the top energy & natural resources lawyers in the State of Louisiana by Chambers USA in 2011 - 2019.
Randy earned his B.S. in 1983 from the University of Southwestern Louisiana where he received Outstanding Graduate honors. He earned his J.D. in 1992 from the LSU Law Center where he was a member of the Order of the Coif, Academic Hall of Fame, Phi Kappa Phi, and recipient of the Jules F. Landry Scholarship Award for 1991 - 1992. He also attended the summer law program at Universite' d'Aix Marseille III in Aix en Provence, France.
- Environmental Law
- Energy, Oil & Gas Law
- Communications & Internet Law
- Associations and Organizations
- Utilities Regulation
- Kean Miller LLP
- - Current
- Paul M. Hebert Law Center, Louisiana State University
- J.D. | Law
- Honors: Member of the Order of the Coif, Academic Hall of Fame, Phi Kappa Phi, and recipient of the Jules F. Landry Scholarship Award for 1991-1992.
- Activities: Attended the summer law program at Universite' d'Aix Marseille III in Aix en Provence, France.
- University of Southwestern Louisiana
- Honors: Received Outstanding Graduate honors.
- Baton Rouge Lawyer of the Year in Administrative/Regulatory Law
- Best Lawyers
- AV Rated
- Martindale Hubbell
- The Best Lawyers in America
- Woodward White, Inc
- Awarded from 2007-2020
- Top Energy & Natural Resources Lawyers in the State of Louisiana
- Chambers USA
- Awarded from 2011-2019
- Louisiana State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Baton Rouge Bar Association
- Louisiana State Bar
- Intent in Environmental Racism is Hard to Prove, But Plaintiffs May Not Have To
- Corporate Legal Times
- J. Randy Young's Website Profile
- Kean Miller LLP Website
- Louisiana Law Blog
- Recent Department of Labor Audits a Good Reminder to Understand the Law and Follow Best Practices
8 November 2019
- Kean Miller’s Insurance Recovery Team Helps Secure a Big Win for Louisiana Insureds at the Louisiana Supreme Court
23 October 2019
- Missouri District Court Rules That PSD Violations Can Be Addressed By Imposing Controls At Company Facilities Other Than The Facility Violating PSD
16 October 2019
- Comments on Social Media Could be Costly Under HIPAA
14 October 2019
- Patient Phone Calls, To Record or Not to Record?
30 September 2019
- U.S. Third Circuit Rules Pipeline Company’s Eminent Domain Rights Under Natural Gas Act Limited by Sovereign Immunity
26 September 2019
- The Final OT Rules Are Out – Time For Action (Again)!
24 September 2019
- Who You Affiliate with Could Jeopardize Your Medicare Enrollment
16 September 2019
- Ag Lenders and Vendors: The Family Farmer Relief Act of 2019 Opens Chapter 12 Bankruptcy to More Farmers
11 September 2019