Profile Image Placeholder

R. Scott Patterson

Serving Muskingum and surrounding counties.
  • DUI & DWI, Domestic Violence, Family Law...
  • Ohio
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&A
Practice Areas
  • DUI & DWI
  • Domestic Violence
  • Family Law
  • Divorce
Additional Practice Area
  • Child Custody
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
University of Cincinnati College of Law
J.D. (1979)
Placeholder image for education.
Professional Associations
American Association of Premier DUI Attorneys
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
47 Questions Answered

Q. Dismissed Ohio Untimely Notice of Appeal- Attorney filed for reconsideration-blamed postal service.
Q. My fiance wants to adopt my twins, their father is in prison, does he have to sign over his rights for that to happen?
A: You and your fiance must first be married. The natural/biological father's consent is necessary except under limited and specific circumstances as they may exist at the time the Petition for Adoption is filed with the Probate Court.
Q. I have been raising my goddaughter for 6yrs with birth mother only giving foodstamps how can i get custody?
A: Of course you will heed the services of an experienced, competent family law attorney. As a "legal stranger" to the child, in order to obtain custody you would have to establish to the court's satisfaction that it would be detrimental to the child to be placed with either her father or her mother. This is called parental unsuitability.
Q. I was charged with a DUI 10 yrs ago in Ohio. I am moving back with a valid FL DL. Will I face problems getting an OH DL?
A: Your reinstatement fess must be paid. You may enter into an arrangement with the Ohio BMV to make monthly $50 payments. You must have insurance in place when you apply. If you qualify, your driving privileges will be restored during the payoff period. Additionally, you may have to take a remedial driving course or pass knowledge and skills test. test.
Q. Are DUI penalties more severe if you cause an accident?
A: Likely, the accident will carry its own set of penalties. The range of penalties in Ohio for an OVI are quite broad. Some are mandatory and the court has no discretion. If you took a breath, urine or blood test, and the level of any prohibited substance is considered "high" as defined by statute, the penalties will be more severe. I recommend that you retain an attorney who is experienced in all phases of an OVI case.
Q. I Got my first ever ovi,am I looking at jail time and how long can my license and cdl permit be suspended for?
A: Yes, you are looking at jail time, three days (low test) to a maximum of six months. Likely, your CDL is suspended now if you are under an Administrative License Suspension. This suspension is for one year and is triggered by the ALS. You MUST appeal the ALS suspension within a limited time frame to have any chance of restoring your CDL. No judge can grant you privileges vis a vis your CDL. See an experienced OVI attorney immediately.
Q. I need advice over fighting a OVI charge.
A: You present an interesting set of facts. Unfortunately, the best advice I can provide is obtain the services of an experience OVI/DUI attorney. Since there was no chemical test, the prosecution will have to rely upon circumstantial evidence that when you were driving and crashed you were impaired by alcohol or drugs, or a combination of them. They may find that difficult. The most significant of the Standardized Field Sobriety Test is the Horizontal Gaze Nystagmus Test. It has some science to back up the results, however the prosecution will need an expert to provide testimony regarding your results, if in fact one was administered to you.
Q. I was charged with ovi. No BAC level on ticket. Never booked or field sobriety test. What is going to happen to me
A: There is no BAC on the ticket because at the time it was issued the officer did not have the urine test results back from BCI. Did the officer read a form to you before you gave the urine sample? Did you sign the front of the form, BMV 2255? If you are convicted of a simple low test OVI, your minimum jail sentence would be ten days. If it is a high test the minimum is twenty days. Consult an experienced OVI/DUI attorney.
Q. We have raised our niece for 14 yrs she wants us to adopt her. Do we need her fathere consent we have custody of her
A: The father's consent would not be necessary if, within the one year preceding the filing of the petition for adoption, he has failed to provide more than minimal support for the child; OR, he has had no or minimal contact with the child. Assuming he objects to the adoption, these kinds of issues are addressed by the courts on a case by case basis. Consult an experienced adoption attorney in the jurisdiction in which you live. That attorney will be able to advise you as to the attitude of the court in which the petition would be filed.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
2609 Bell St
Zanesville, OH 43701
Telephone: (740) 455-3448
Fax: (740) 453-2669