Free Consultation: (310) 391-2400Tap to Call This Lawyer
Peter Maurice Lively

Peter Maurice Lively

Law Office of Peter M Lively
  • Bankruptcy, Business Law, Real Estate Law
  • California
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

Law office of Peter M lively helps individuals and businesses resolve financial problems particularly settling debts in obtaining debt relief under the United States Bankruptcy Code as debt relief agents 25 years experience in over 5000 satisfied clients. Mr. Lively obtained his JD MBA from UCLA in 1982 and was inducted as a Fellow in the American College of Bankruptcy in 2014. Mr. Lively served as President of the Central District of California Consumer Debtors Attorneys Association (cdcbaa) in 2017 after serving on the Board of Directors for the prior 10 years. Mr. Lively regularly lectures to other attorneys for their continuing legal education credits in the areas of consumer and small business bankruptcies, Chapter 7, 11 and 13.

Practice Areas
  • Bankruptcy
  • Business Law
  • Real Estate Law
  • Free Consultation
    Initial telephone consultations (15 minutes)
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
9th Circuit
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Law Office of Peter M Lively
- Current
University of California - Los Angeles
Law Degree (1992)
University of California - Los Angeles
MBA (1992)
Carnegie Mellon University
B.S. (1988) | Management & Economics
Honors: High Honors
Pro Bono Attorney of the Year
Public Counsel
Professional Associations
central district consumer bankruptcy attorneys association
- Current
American College of Bankruptcy
- Current
California State Bar # 162686
- Current
Articles & Publications
Inside the Minds: Chapter 7 Consumer Bankruptcy Strategies
West Publishing
Speaking Engagements
Chapter 13 Plan Confirmation, Bankruptcy Judges' Conference, Indian Wells, California
Official Recognition
National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
15 Questions Answered

Q. Chap 7. Wife not filing. Joint Citi checking w $5600 on line of credit. It's current. Can Citi offset if stays current?
A: Setoff is a contract issue. The answers to your other questions as best given during a telephone consultation regarding all of your facts and circumstances.
Q. If I’m late on a car title payment in California does the account go through any kind of review process before repossess
A: Your title loan may provide you with a short grace period after the monthly payment due date. Other than perhaps a courtesy call from the title lender regarding the status of your payment, you should expect your lender to repossess your vehicle as soon as it legally can pursuant to your contract. After repossession, the title lender should provide you with notice(s) of the pending vehicle auction and subsequent balance due on the contract net auction proceeds.
Q. Is it possible to file an emergency chapter 7 through an attorney to protect my car from repossession.
A: It is possible to file an emergency bankruptcy petition and obtain an automatic stay pursuant to Bankruptcy Code Section 362 which is applicable to vehicle lenders and would be violated if repossession subsequently occurred. However, a Chapter 7 petition alone isn't necessarily going to accomplish your presumed goal of retaining possession of your vehicle for the indefinite future. You should consult with an experienced bankruptcy attorney to review all of your financial facts and circumstances and discuss your goals and options.
Q. How low an income do you have to have to file for Chapter 7?
A: Whether your income matters at all depends on whether the majority of your debt is consumer or nonconsumer. If the majority of your debt is consumer, then the next step is to determine your household size and the type (W-2 employment, self-employment, Social Security, etc.) and amount of income that you (and your spouse, if married; and domestic partner, if registered) have, plus rental income, etc. The analysis can be quite extensive depending on your facts and circumstances. Therefore, determining eligibility for chapter 7 requires that you speak with an experienced bankruptcy attorney.
Q. Can I put my 30% ownership interest in a condo into an LLC in case I go bankrupt in a couple years so it can’t be taken?
A: That will not protect the property from being reached by a chapter 7 trustee. If you transfer the property without receiving comparable value and return, you will create a recoverable fraudulent transfer for your bankruptcy estate for up to 10 years depending upon the types of creditors you have when you file your bankruptcy case. You may have alternatives that are considered to be legitimate prebankruptcy planning and not create recoverable transfers to your future bankruptcy estate, but you need to consult with an experienced bankruptcy attorney for a review of all your financial facts and circumstances to determine your options.
Q. I want to file for bankruptcy? Can I get help with the fees since I’m low income? How to get a pro bono service help
A: Public Counsel Law Center Los Angeles (213) 385-2977 might be able to help you. Several bankruptcy courts in the Central District of California have self-help desks. Fee waivers and fee payment plans are sometimes available by application to the court at the time you file your petition.
Q. I am filing Chapter 7 in CA. My wife has a house since before marriage and we have a prenup. Do I need to disclose?
A: Yes. Not only must you disclose, but your bankruptcy estate may have an interest in that property depending upon the terms of the prenuptial agreement. California is a community property state and the marital community can develop an interest in the separate real property of either spouse by using community property earnings - creating equity in the real property from you paying home loans and sharing in the appreciation in the fair market value of the property - pursuant to a formula called the Moore Marsden calculation. You should speak with an attorney who is familiar with family law.
Q. What are the options and requirements for reinvesting Homestead Exemption funds while in Chapter 7 bankruptcy?
A: California Code of Civil Procedure Section 704.710 provides the definition of a dwelling and the types of dwellings which may your homestead which include a house, a mobile home, a boat, etc. If you don't reinvest the homestead funds within the six months deadline, the trustee will be able to take back those funds for the bankruptcy estate. You should consult with an attorney regarding your deadline and the residence requirements.
Q. Husband accumulates debt with payday loans and other forms without my knowledge. How to protect my assets. Can I?
A: Inheritance is separate property of the receiving spouse under California law, but it can be transmuted (changed) into community property and thereby become a potential bankruptcy estate asset in your husband's potential individual bankruptcy case. Therefore, you need to understand how separate property can be transmuted into community property and how best to protect your inheritance. As already advised in this forum, you should seek a consultation with an experienced bankruptcy attorney who can advise you regarding your options, after you disclose all of your financial facts and circumstances.
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
11268 Washington Blvd Ste 203
Culver City, CA 90230
Telephone: (310) 391-2400