Peter A. Michael

Peter A. Michael

Beralo & Michael, LLC
  • Personal Injury, Criminal Law, Workers' Compensation...
  • New Jersey
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial MediaResponsive Law

Peter A. Michael is a Partner at Beralo & Michael who focuses his practice primarily on Personal Injury litigation, Criminal Defense, Traffic & Municipal Court matters, and Landlord-Tenant issues.

Mr. Michael strives in his practice to provide vigorous and efficient representation tailored to each client's particular needs and goals. Prior to forming Beralo and Michael, Mr. Michael worked extensively on various civil litigation matters, including Landlord Tenant issues, commercial litigation, and workers compensation matters. Mr. Michael previously handled medical revenue recovery matters with his previous firm.

Mr. Michael was a senior student attorney for the Rutgers Community & Transactional Lawyering Clinic, where he incorporated various non-profit corporations, including advising and representing the Clinics second ever filing of a B-Corporation. Mr. Michael advised various clients with respect to their corporate filings and operating agreements.

Mr. Michael earned his undergraduate degree in Political Science with a minor in Economics from Rutgers University - Newark in 2014, and his Juris Doctorate from Rutgers Law School in 2017. He is also an active member of the New Jersey State Bar Association and the Essex County Bar Association.

Practice Areas
  • Personal Injury
  • Criminal Law
  • Workers' Compensation
  • DUI & DWI
  • Traffic Tickets
  • Landlord Tenant
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
New Jersey
New Jersey Courts
ID Number: 239882018
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • Arabic: Spoken
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Partner - Attorney At Law
Beralo & Michael, LLC
- Current
Attorney At Law
Ehrlich, Petriello, Gudin & Plaza
Associate Attorney
Callagy Law
Rutgers School of Law-Newark
J.D. (2017) | Law
Placeholder image for education.
Rutgers University - Newark
B.A. (2014) | Political Science & Economics
Rutgers University - Newark Logo
Professional Associations
Essex County Bar
Placeholder image for professional associations.
New Jersey State Bar # 239882018
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Websites & Blogs
Beralo & Michael, LLC
Legal Answers
8 Questions Answered

Q. Can my landlord deduct unreasonable security deposit?
A: Yes you can take your landlord to court for his lack of returning a security deposit. If you can contesting the fact of damages to your apartment, that is something for a judge to decide. The standard for damages in an apartment is "damages beyond reasonable wear and tear". It sounds as if your damages are only wear and tear. I highly recommend you consult with an attorney regarding these issues. Feel free to contact my office, we offer a free in office consultation. Best of luck!
Q. Does my roommate owe me for utilities during time apartment rented even though she was hardly ever there?
A: If you have proof of your agreement with respect to the utilities, you can take your roommate to court for the amount that she owes. If the amount if insignificant, then it is up to you to conduct a cost-benefit analysis on whether it is worth it for you to hire and attorney and pay the court fees to file a complaint. Feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns!
Q. If I pay back the money owed to my landlord does it void the cease letter
A: That is not true. Your landlord cannot evict you without first bringing you to court on a summons and complaint for non-payment of rent. At the day of court which is the trial date, your back due rent amount is due.If you are unable to pay the whole amount, your landlord has the option of entering into a payment agreement with you or potentially allotting you a certain amount of time to move out (tenant vacate agreement). If your Landlord will not into any deals with you, then you will be forced to go before a Judge and the Landlord will win a judgment of possession (if you do not have the whole amount due and owing).
Q. My tenant that hasn't paid the rent for the last month of his lease. What type of notice do I send him?
A: Has your tenant moved out of the property? For a non-payment of rent issue, you do not have to wait. The state of New Jersey does not require legal notice or an allotted time period of waiting prior to filing a summons and complaint with the NJ Courts for Non-Payment of rent. If your tenant has already moved out of the property, you will have to take the tenant to civil court for the back due and owing rent amount. My firm offers a free in office consultation for your case. Feel free to contact me at anytime!
Q. How long do I have to wait as the landlord to file eviction papers when they stop paying rent in NJ?
A: You do not have to wait. The state of New Jersey does not require legal notice or an allotted time period of waiting prior to filing a summons and complaint with the NJ Courts for Non-Payment of rent. My firm offers a free in office consultation for your case. Feel free to contact me at anytime!
Q. Tenant refused me to get in for inspecting the apartment. He reported to Housing dept without reaching out to me first.
A: My recommendation is sending a demand letter to enter into the house at a proposed time. But since you are dealing with a time crunch, you may have to send your tenant the appropriate notice and then file a summons and complaint in court. This way we can appear in front of a judge and have a Landlord Tenant Judge hear the facts of the case and order your tenant to allow for repairs at an agreed upon time. I have dealt with this issue numerous times, and my firm offers a free in office consultation. Feel free to reach out if you have any additional questions or concerns.
Q. What can I do about my landlord filing an eviction as retaliation
A: It sounds that you have habitability issues with your apartment. Habitability issues are protected under NJ law. The day of court for your eviction matter, you or your attorney can explain the conditions of the apartment. If there is any back due rent, you will have to deposit that rent with the court until the Landlord abates the issue (this is called a Marini hearing). Yourself and your landlord will be called into mediation to ensure that the issues were resolved. Further, your landlord is going to have to prove that you caused damage to the apartment in a knowingly or reckless manor. If it is a mere hole in the door, I assume your landlord will have a tough time proving his case. I would recommend getting an experienced Tenant attorney by your side. Feel free to contract me for a free in office consultation.
Q. Dear sir/madam I am a diplomat, with a diplomatic passport. I was pulled over by a cop in NJ for illegal lane change.
A: You are not immune from prosecution just yet. You will need to appear in court and attempt to resolve this summons. Since the car was a rental, the rental service should be able to provide you proof of insurance and registration of the vehicle. This evidence may be shown to the municipal court prosecutor in an attempt at a plea deal. Further, the illegal lane change is a violation that carries both fines and motor vehicle points. To downgrade this summons through a plea deal, I highly suggest you contact an attorney. Feel free to call me with anymore questions or concerns!
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
Beralo & Michael, LLC
567 Summit Avenue
Jersey City, NJ 07306
Telephone: (201) 292-1930
Beralo & Michael, LLC
By Appointment Only
1191 Morris Avenue
Union, NJ 07086
Toll-Free: (201) 292-1930